Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 8:10:59 PM EDT
Anyone have any recommendations for places to buy milspec ammo locally?  I'm familiar with the internet sources, but I'm not asking about them.  I'm also familiar with Sportsmans Guide, but that's WAY on the other side of town.  The Galyan's in Minnetonka has Winchester Q3131A, but it's about $5.00/box.  So, any other suggestions?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Sportsmans Guide is a little fishy.  Have you bought ammo from their storefront before?  My big problem with them is that their customer service is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE there.  As far as ammunition is concerned, their website could be advertizing SS109 for $145.00/1000rds, and when you get there they'll say, "Do you have a print-out of the sale?"  I did not.  I went home to get a print-out of the sale.  Brought it back that same day.  Showed it to the same guy.  He tells me they DO NOT HAVE IT IN STOCK there.  Which is BULLSH!T, because RIGHT ON THE LOWER SHELF RIGHT BEHIND HIM was the GREEK SS109 in 1000 round cases!!!  THE SAME AS THE WEBSITE/PRINTOUT!!!  He says, "But we DO have this GREEK SS109 here in a case for $245.00"  WTF!?

Never bought a thing from their store-front since.  I do buy their stuff online because at least then I don't have to deal with their horrible customer service (someone else on here noted that grey-haired jerk's bad service to them too).

If you're looking for Federal M193 Ball (EDITED TO ADD:  $3.50 per box of 20rds), the best commercial source I know of locally is Streicher's Police Supply.  Here's a thread with more of their info:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=171185
www.streichers.com

Some other places sell it in smaller amounts, IIRC, Mark Koscielski's shop on Chicago Ave S near Lake St sells SS109 in 20 rd boxes, but I don't know the price.

I think that you might be able to find some decent ammo at Sportsmans Warehouse in Anoka near HWY 10, but it's been a LONG time since I was there.  They had a fantastic deal on Portuguese 308 surplus ammo though!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
iNuhBaD:

My perception of Sportsmans Guide has been different than yours.  I will ONLY buy from them in person, making sure to bring printouts of all the paperwork, because I've heard too many disappointing stories about ordering online.  Plus, I only go if I checked the night before, and whatever I want is not out of stock.  So far, that's worked out well on two or three trips there, and I've been treated fine.  Sounds like you got seriously hosed, though.

Thanks for the lead on Streicher's, I'm not familiar with it, but I'll check it out.

As for Sportsman's Warehouse, I think that's the place I bought my AR--is it about two or three miles east of downtown Anoka in a big-box commercial area, near a Best Buy?  If so, it had good prices on Bushys, but they didn't have crap for ammo.  Also, it couldn't have been that long since you were there, since (if it's where I got my Bushy) they only opened last Thanksgiving.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow-up question:

Where the heck is this Streicher's?  I did a MapQuest search, and the star pops up on the south side of Highway 55, about where County Road 15 (and maybe 73, i.e., Hopkins Crossroad) connects with Highway 55.  I'm pretty familiar with this area.  There's a church, an auto-body/towing service, and a three-story (I think) office building.  So where is Streicher's???

Now, I know MapQuest is not always right, so I'd appreciate any directions you or anyone else can give.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
EndGame,

MapQuest doesn't lie, that's where Streichers is located.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
That is where Streicher's is located.  It's on the south side of 55 in a (IIRC) grey-ish brick building.  It was kind of tough for me to find the first time out there.  I just turn south at the intersection where there's a REALLY TINY LITTLE GAS STATION, and take that up the hill a little bit, and it's on your right hand side.  They've also got great prices on other nice stuff like Mace, knives, holsters, boots, etc...  It's always worth checking out.

It has been a LONG time to me since I went to Sportsmans Warehouse because I'm still pretty young...    Almost a year is a long time to me!  But it's definitely the same place that you described...  They had a good deal on some ammo then, but I guess it's been a while since I went in there to check prices.  (I normally check prices at different gunshops about every month or so because I'm pretty poor (in college), and need to be VERY cost-conscious; Especially considering I've only got $30.00 to my name at the moment!)

That reminds me.  Time to go donate more plasma, I need to pay the phone bill.  

Good luck with your ammo search!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I last got my 1000rd case of Q3131A (lot 70) from a gunshow with a $3 cover. $180, including tax.

I now reload all .223, as I have several hundred pieces of brass and a new progressive loader.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It is across from the holiday station at the intersection, east of the big baptist church.  Their address is 10911 West Highway 55, Minneapolis, MN 55441-0398.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Follow-up question:

Where the heck is this Streicher's?  I did a MapQuest search, and the star pops up on the south side of Highway 55, about where County Road 15 (and maybe 73, i.e., Hopkins Crossroad) connects with Highway 55.  I'm pretty familiar with this area.  There's a church, an auto-body/towing service, and a three-story (I think) office building.  So where is Streicher's???

Now, I know MapQuest is not always right, so I'd appreciate any directions you or anyone else can give.  Thanks again.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=171185
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
[EDITED TO REMOVE POTENTIALLY SEXUALLY REFERENCED ATTACK]
I hate those individuals. Customer service is horrible, and if you buy a box of ammo for 3.50, 25 of them =87.50 they charge 95.00 for a case (500 rounds); Go figure that one out. I picked up the same case at sportsmanguide for 69.99.
I have been treated like shit by them and many pd officers i know but their local.
[While in here I fixed some spelling & grammar too ]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the information.  I can't believe I've never seen, or heard of, Streicher's--I grew up in the area and still drive right by there once a week.  Anyway, I'm always willing to give a place at least one chance, so I will be checking them out.

I'd also appreciate any other suggestions anyone may have.  Sounds like the options are pretty limited.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I've bought most of my ammo at gunshows.  From KGS (I think thats the name, got a card around here somewhere)  anyway its an older guy and his wife,  he usually wears a blue jumpsuit @ the gunshows.

Bought some Q3131A a while back and recently some XM193 from him.

I've also bought American Eagle when Fleet Farm had it on sale for like 2.99 or 3.50 a box.  I bought a ton then.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I had some minor surgery this morning (a little skin cancer on my nose), and stopped at Streicher's on the way home.  Yup, it was right where you guys said it was; still can't believe I haven't seen it before.  Anyway, since I'm not a cop or a mall ninja, a lot of the stuff wasn't all that interesting, but they do have a good selection of holsters, flashlights, boots, and duffels.  I picked up seven boxes of the M193 (at $3.50 per) and some handgun ammo.  The employees were courteous and friendly.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
All,

Here is where I found winchester ammo cheapest:

45acp 100rd "Value Packs" at Wal-Mart for $19.95
9mm 100rd "Value Packs" at Wal-Mart for $9.95
40s&w 100rd "Value Packs" at Wal-Mart for $11.95
.223 50rd "Value Packs" at Gander Mountain for $8.45

Hope this helps.
(The 45acp "Value packs" are the only ones with foam bullet organizers. The ammo shoots pretty good!)

-Warlock
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#14]

From KGS...

That's Ken's Gun Service, & he's a pretty good guy & his wife is a nice lady, too.  They were at the gun show at the Chaska Community Center yesterday.  They tend to be a little high priced from my experience.

BTW, I sure didn't see any bargains at Chaska.

How about the ugly guy at all of the gun shows who's "transitioning" to be an even uglier female?  AAAACCCKKK!

Only in MN.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up 500 rds of XM193 from Ken (I think) at the Chaska gunshow, 89.95 plus tax.  I tried to get two 500 rd cases for 85 a piece including tax.  He'd go $85 but wouldn't chip in the tax.  Oh well.

Also picked up a 30-rd new English mag for $15.  Haven't tried it yet but was pleased to get the guy down from $18.  Otherwise good gun show.  Can't wait for the show at the Fairgrounds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#16]
dsspro:

Was the price you got on XM193 at Sportsman's Guide a sale price or is that their normal price??

Also, is that the store by the stockyards near 494 and Hwy 61???
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How about the ugly guy at all of the gun shows who's "transitioning" to be an even uglier female?  AAAACCCKKK!

Only in MN.

I wanted to shoot it.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only in MN.

I wanted to shoot it.  

LMFAO   I bought a really cool Beeman pellet gun from it about 4 years ago, when it was still a him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Boy am I glad I missed that action!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top