Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 8:06:40 PM EST
I just moved out here from Texas to LA for one year, and I need to find a cheap place to buy ammo. Academy in Texas sold 9mm Blazer for about 4.00 a box, and Wal Mart sold 100 rnd Winchester for 11.00. Where do you all buy cheap ammo, and where is a good place to shoot in LA (I live off Wilshire).

Yes I know it sucks here, I have to leave all my full auto toys back home...but 10 more months until Im re-united!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:50:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 11:56:15 PM EST by gobabygo]
The cheapest ammo around here is still at WalMart. Unfortunately you have to go to a WalMart outside of LA County to buy ammo. Otherwise check out Turners especially when they have a sale or of course the gun shows.

As for a place to shoot... Angeles Range is the closest for long guns. But do NOT bring any steel core ammo. They test all ammo with a magnet. If it sticks they can/will boot you.

Come out to the ARF shoot at Burro Canyon on 11/7. That's another good place to shoot and meet everyone. Check out the other thread.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:07:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 4:10:44 AM EST by colossians323]
www.ammoman.com
www.kieslersonline.com
I find these to be both excellent sources for ammo with reasonable shipping.
Always best to buy in bulk if yourshooting alot.
Ammoman the price includes shipping, no calculation needed.
Kieslers shipping is way reasonable, but you have to calculate.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:38:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 4:39:00 AM EST by cnorton]
Walmart WWB is still a deal.

Outdoormarksman has great prices and is in Oregon so shipping will not kill you. Also Outdoormarksman is a Miwall distributor.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:36:19 AM EST
I can still buy ammo at Wal-Mart in Valencia (near Magic Mtn., on the Old Road), it's mostly just the ones closer to the city that are uber-communist.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:07:06 AM EST
miwall corp at the gun shows

occasionally turners.com has cheap ammo, check the new sales ad every tues

they have a bunch of stores in the socal area
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:21:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 8:23:56 AM EST by mikr]

Originally Posted By gobabygo:
The cheapest ammo around here is still at WalMart. Unfortunately you have to go to a WalMart outside of LA County to buy ammo.

Palmdale/Lancaster WM's sell ammo, and they are within LA County.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:24:37 PM EST

Depending on what sort of ammo you are looking for, ENTREPRISE has cheap ammo. Its in Irwindale.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:06:21 PM EST
the cheapest place i have found is www.cabelas.com
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:35:07 AM EST
Get on Turner's E-Mail coupon ad list. They recently had Federal xm-193 at $2.99 a box (I think, anyhow I got a case with tax cheaper than any of the mail-order outlets could deliver). I think the WM in the City of LAa don't have ammo, I know that the ones in Orange County all have it.

Yah shoulda moved to the Valley for a month or so for some decompression time before diving right into the belly of the beast. Off Wilshire? my heart goes out to you That does mean however you are near Pinks, and can make it to the original Tommy's for a Tommy Burger. Unfortunately the days of making a midnight Tommy's run are probably over.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:53:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By PaDanby:
Unfortunately the days of making a midnight Tommy's run are probably over.

Say it ain't so! I used to do the late-night Tommy's runs (Beverly and Rampart, IIRC) while going to 'SC years ago. Gawd, those chili burgers! Loved 'em.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:03:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 6:09:42 PM EST by another_shooter]

Originally Posted By Stryker1112:
and where is a good place to shoot in LA (I live off Wilshire).

My favorite outdoor range, rifle (your own targets to 200 yd, metal targets out to 600 yards), pistol, and traps, is the Angeles Range. It'll be a drive up the 405 or 5, catch the 118 going east, hit the 220 and get off at Osborne.

http://www.angelesranges.com/

The indoor range I go to is called "Sharpshooters" and they're south of you. Western Ave I believe at 206th street. They're a right off Western toward the west, on the North side of 206th. Their max distance is 17 yards, and they will allow .22 LR rifles, but they are mainly for handguns.

There's another indoor range near me, but I've not gone there:

http://www.laxrange.com/

Oh, as far as ammo is concerned, I only buy 30-30 locally when it goes on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods (which it does periodically!!). Otherwise, the gunshows usually have the best prices on ammo. So I used to buy all my ammo at the "Crossroads of the West" in Costa Mesa (or Del Mar -- far away!). Now, I make all of my ammo.

http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/

They'll be nearby (Costa Mesa) Nov 27-28.
Top Top