Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2007 2:18:28 AM EDT
So here I am waiting to take delivery of my new AR-15 and I can't find a vendor here locally (Maui) or on the mainland that will sell me ammo.  Prices are pretty ridiculous when you start adding UPS Ground shipping fees.  The local Sports Authority sells Winchester (box of 20) @ $14.99 and with tax that comes out to 78¢ a round!  I just want some decent FMJ target ammo so that I can do some paper punching and zeroing in of my sights.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
In your first 500 rounds or so you would just about pay for a Dillon 550
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, looks like that would be the route to go BUT acquiring the powder and the primers would be just as difficult to ship here - that is IF I can find someone to ship to me here in Hawaii.  Almost everything is flown here.  Sure it could go by boat but there is still the Hazmat charges on top of the freight charges.  This is really getting frustrating.I tried ordering from Natchez last night.  This morning they informed me that they don't ship ammo to Hawaii anymore and cancelled my order.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Al, I got your message, but you don't have your PM capability enabled.

I think the only place you can find ammo is Handley's Equipment in Kihei. He has Sellier and Bellot, but it's a little pricey. I think like $10 a box. Also, check with Dennis. He's supposed to have a very large ammo shipment coming in soon. Hopefully he'll have lots of 223.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig808:  Send you a PM, thanks

Looks like Hawaii is being iced out of the good deals on ammo from the mainland.  I guess because of 9/11 and al-qaida, the feds are really tightening regs on Hazmat.  Damn I though my radio control hobby was expensive!  I was fortunate to be able to buy 1000 rounds of 9mm a couple months ago locally at a good price.  It was old stock but heck, what the hell.  It still going up in smoke.  But .223 prices are more than what I was hoping to pay.  Hopefully DT Sports and other local vendors will try to make it easier on the non-reloader shooter's wallets.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I cant answer about the powder/ammo situation in Maui but on Oahu with close to a million people living there, we sometimes also have problems getting ammo too.  Since everything has to be shipped here and we are in the middle of nowhere but ocean, prices can be crazy if you do find what you want.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd figure that on Oahu you guys have a few gun shops to deal with and maybe you can get a better deal because of that.  I heard because of the middle east war, ammo is just hard to come by all around - including the mainland.  Online vendors such as Cabelas is backordered and as I found out Natchez doesn't ship to Hawaii anymore which complicates matters more.

Seventy eight cents per round can amount to some crazy money if you want to really wring out your rifle and have a good day at the range.  My price point limit would be 50 cents per round (which includes the shipping costs) and more than that would be ridiculous.  I would want to shoot at least a hundred to one hundred fifty rounds on a regular day at the range (three hours on open days).  That's at the least $50 for one day at the range!  Sheesh.  But I guess if you get into shooting, you pay the price unless you reload.
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you guys need to organize a group buy

Thats what we do up here (we have same issues with shipping - ammo by barge) and if you order a pallet load, shipping isnt reasonable, but it doesnt hurt as bad
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Try DT sports for powder...

They are pretty well priced compared to buying it on the mainland. I think maybe I will be paying $2 more a pound here in Maui then when I was in las vegas.

If you buy supplies in bulk for reloading you can save a ton! I make 69gr nolser match grade .223 for about $0.25 a round and I make match grade .308 that shoots as good if not better than federal gold metal match for about $0.50 a round.

I got into reloading out in vegas cause I knew when moved back here it would be hard to find good ammo let alone any ammo at all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I found some Federal Match ammo from a buddy of mine.  Ten bucks for a box of 20.  Better than Sports Authority.  He has a few more boxes so we'll see how it works out.  DT Sports is suppose to get a shipment.  Hopefully it is well priced as well.

Damn, shooting sports are really expensive but at the moment reloading is out of the question for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Once the Superferry gets going you guys will be able to bring your car to Oahu, fill it to the roof with ammo from the Honolulu gun stores, and take it all back to your island.  You will know longer be restriced by the airlines allowing only 11 pounds of ammo per person.  The Ferry has already stated that they are going to allow, at no extra charge, cars filled with goods.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#11]
That just means that there will be even more of a shortage of ammo in Oahu...

They will probably restrict ammo flow on the ferry as well I am sure but maybe not. I Know there are still hazmat regs for ships too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I Know there are still hazmat regs for ships too.

How do you think ammo gets to Oahu from the mainland?
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#13]
From what I am understanding, everywhere is experiencing ammo shortages (Hawaii and the Mainland).  Prices are also reflecting this issue.  I'm going to buy what I can afford and be a bit more selective on when I shoot and how much I shoot.  If can, great.  If no can, oh well.  I'll just shoot my PCP air rifle if anything.
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Aloha, I'm in Kona on the Big Island.

a) Make sure anyone who comes to visit you brings ammo on the plane (checked luggage). You can bring up to 11 lbs, and I insist that all my visitors bring ammo whether they like guns or not.

b) Find a local gun group and get in on a group buy. The last ammo buy in the group here in Kona was $10,000 of ammo.

c) Oahu is probably your next best bet

d) If not Oahu, I know a gun store in Waimea on the Big Island (cowboy country) where they sell .223 but they ain't cheap.

I'm still sitting on half a case of XM193 that I brought over on a previous trip. Funny, the more ammo I store, the less I shoot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a case of 9mm target ammo and I didn't shoot much of that.  I thought I would be though at least half of it by now six months later.  Well, I've had my AR-15 only for a week now so I'll see how the ammo situation shapes up in the coming days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2007 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Think .22lr conversion/upper....
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yup and they have regs too! They have to follow them to ship them.

CG regs state that a car with more than a 1/4 tank of gas in it is considered hazmat. Have you ever shipped a car from or to the mainland? That is why they make you bring it with only a 1/4 tank of gas otherwise they charge you to pump the remaining gas out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup and they have regs too! They have to follow them to ship them.

CG regs state that a car with more than a 1/4 tank of gas in it is considered hazmat. Have you ever shipped a car from or to the mainland? That is why they make you bring it with only a 1/4 tank of gas otherwise they charge you to pump the remaining gas out.

That's fantastic... but in what way does that apply to the conversation at hand?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Think .22lr conversion/upper....

You know, I didn't know that there is a 22lr conversion kit until you posted this.  It took this long and spending ungodly amount of money on brand name .223 ammo to bring me around to doing a Google on the 22lr conversion kit.  Sh!t that is the way to go!  It is much cheaper ammo and I get to shoot a lot more than with the regular ammo.

Now to find a kit...hehehe!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried ordering from Natchez a couple weeks ago.  They cancelled my ammo order because they changed their ammo shipping policy and have Hawaii on their "Do Not Ship" ammo list.  I'm wondering if other Hawaii members would know any vendors that will ship ammo to Hawaii at a decent shipping rate.

In regards to the .22LR conversion, I decided to hold off until I can get a handle on some decent bulk .223 ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top