Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/6/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2005 6:09:34 PM EDT by longhorn789]
I went to the sorryass gun show in Fort Worth this weekend and I only found a couple of VERY worn out CETME's with outlandish prices.

Of course, I would prefer an FAL, but in order to get into 308 on a budget, I might try my luck with a CETME if I can inspect it prior to purchase.

Any leads here in the Metroplex or beyond ? ?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:12:15 PM EDT
I went to the show also, it was bad

try herewww.militarygunsupply.com/shop/
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:58:53 PM EDT
Yup, military gun supply is the place for CETMEs. Cheaper Than Dirt had a nice DSA Fal carbine there when I went yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT by URFUBAR]
I had a CETME.
Know 3 others that have them.

We bought them together last year from CENTURY ARMS

All four had some form of feed / extraction issues.

I sold mine a BIG TOWN gun show $350.
I paid $275. for it since we bought 4 at one time.

I bet I can get you one, but not worth the money - FROM MY EXPERIENCE of "4" of them ..
Take it or leave It - The advice, that is......
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:13:28 AM EDT
got one I could part w/ send me an email
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:57:35 PM EDT
I wouldnt buy a Cetme unless I got to run a lot of mags and different ammo thru it. I have just seen too many that wouldnt run.

I guess I got a FAL when the getting was good.... nice ones were $400 all over the place a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 1:38:15 PM EDT by Ripped63]
first FAl was a Century Arms R1A1 thought it sucked at first cleaned it up,shot it,bitched somemore,traded it for a Bushy he
Have'nt seen a CETME yet that did'nt look like a worn out Broom Stick....and yes my opinion is worthless
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:54:35 PM EDT
I appreciate all those offers and information.

The more I learn about CETMEs, the less I like.

I think I'm just going to start saving up for a DSA Fal carbine like the one CFII told me about. I went up to Cheaper Than Dirt and checked it out. Pretty sweet! Nice built-in folding bi-pod.

I also liked that 308 Bushmaster they had along with it.

I wanted to get into 308 pretty cheap, but I just don't see how I can do it with what's available. I'm just going to have to accept that I'm going to spend $1000+ to get something worth owning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:33:39 PM EDT
I guess I got lucky, because the CAI CETME I got from Lone Star Guns has never missed a beat!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:35:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By longhorn789:
I wanted to get into 308 pretty cheap, but I just don't see how I can do it with what's available. I'm just going to have to accept that I'm going to spend $1000+ to get something worth owning.

Not true. You just gotta watch the EE closely, or put up a WTB ad and make a deal where you can do a reliability test and send rifle back if you arent happy. That will knock out some sellers, but not those who believe in the rifle they are selling. Like I said, I paid $400 for my FAL and it has been 100%.

If you are gonna spend $1000, dont get a DSA FAL, get a Armalite AR10.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:08:36 AM EDT
Yep - got ours from Lone Star.

YUGO -
I wish I would have gotten your instead of mine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:11:02 AM EDT
Has anyone here bought/built/fired one of the $489 HK91 parts kits with the $189 JLD reciever I see these ads in Shotgun News, I see an ad in the back where a guy will build HK's for $185 so it looks to me like you can get a HK91 for around $900. Is this a good way to go?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 7:41:34 PM EDT by yugosksfan]

Originally Posted By URFUBAR:
Yep - got ours from Lone Star.

YUGO -
I wish I would have gotten your instead of mine.

That's too bad. Did you try taking it back to Lone Star and have them fix it for you? I took mine back after noticing the mag well was loose (mags would fall out if the gun was jarred too hard), and they fixed it in house free of charge. I haven't had any problems since.

I'm sure they wouldn't knowingly sell a lemon, and if they did, they'd make it right. All my experiences with them have indicated that they are stand up people.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:45:12 AM EDT
Looks like their shop burned last year.

The website says they only do gun shows now.

Is this correct, or do they have an alternate place of business?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:39:14 PM EDT
I won't do business ever again with military gun supply, which is why I am looking for an alternate source.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:43:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By longhorn789:
I won't do business ever again with military gun supply, which is why I am looking for an alternate source.

What happened ??
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:55:57 PM EDT
I was VERY DISSAPPOINTED with how they conducted themselves. Keep in mind that I didn't know too much about AR's then, but I know now in retrospect that they screwed me on everything they could. I've learned 1000% above and beyond from all they guys here on this site that were willing to answer my newby questions.

AT MILITARY GUN SUPPLY:

1. Told me some bullshit about how this rifle could only shoot "NATO 556" and that 223 would jam immediately in it, which is of course, completely untrue and just showed a weird lack of understanding about what he was selling. He said NEVER buy Remington 223 unless I wanted to severly damage the rifle.

2. Told me that all the Olympic ARs have Chrome lined barrels. I now know this was a lie as mine does not according to the Olympic Arms Company. Maybe he was ignorant. Maybe he lied. Either way, I didn't know it wasn't chrome until a few weeks afterwards

3. The late thirties owner with braces received a cell-phone call from a girl while in the middle of talking to me as we were closing the deal. Immediately he walked away and engaged in a conversation with this "after-blind-date" girl that sounded like the 5th grade all over again. "Do YOU like movies? Do YOU like watching TV? So what are you thinking about right now? Do you kinda like me? Well I sorta kinda like you?"

4. Included a few boxes of ammo which he said were U.S. Military ammo. This crap was made in Romania or someplace. Part of the back label wasn't even in English.

5. Included three no-name mags that ALL malfunctioned. Agreed to meet me at the store the next day to "make it right even though they're used now". He WAS NOT at the store the next day of course. Upon returning AGAIN the day after that, he acted like he never had seen me before and then just handed me a "AR-15 carry handle scope mount" in exchange. I was more than ready to get the hell out of there, but didn't think about ACTUALLY SEEING IF FIT any of their AR's. OF COURSE, when I got home, it did not fit the carry handle. It was for some other rifle and I just threw it in the fucking trash rather than see that sonofabitch again.

Their website would make you think they have a badass store. They probably have 500 rifles in there, but 495 of them are cosmoline packed Century Arms shit, completely beat to living hell French surplus garbage, or Chinese imitations of American rifles and shotguns with plastic stocks that feel like the stock on a toy gun.

I now know that the Olympic Ar I bought is very much an "entry-level" AR. It is a good first one for me, especially being on a tight budget for this sort of stuff. Not to knock my own rifle, but there is a reason that they carry Olympic and not Bushmaster, Colt, Arm, etc. They carry the cheapest version of anything they can get their hands on, then tell you a mixture of misinformation and/or lies on top of that. The few Olympic AR's they have are the Cadillacs of that store and everything else is a Yugo or worse, literally.

I'll NEVER go back there.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:18:06 PM EDT
That SUX!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:32:06 PM EDT
I try to learn from other's mistakes, but if I don't step in shit occasionally, then who can learn from me?!?

I know better now.
Top Top