9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:24:33 AM EDT
I live in Davis Co. and normally go to one of these places to shoot:

Kaysville
Weber Canyon
Impact
Weber Wildlife Fed
West of Corinne

I would like to set up some of my own shooting strings. Where would you recommend?

Are there any regular AR15 get togethers in the area?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:45:12 AM EDT
I'm in Riverdale, and you've pretty much covered all the bases. If you are looking to set up your own courses of fire, Weber Canyon isn't bad if you can catch it when no one is there, otherwise it gets pretty crouded. I shoot up in the mountains or out in the desert most of the time, and occasionally hit the WSA range on Tuesdays for the steel shoot they have.

There's usually a carbine or three-gun match down at the FARM (west of Utah lake) a couple times a month, and there's a lot of guys here that go. Keep your eyes peeled, and they usually get a roster going for a squad or two. Unfortunately, I work weekends, so I havn't been able to go to any of these.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 4:09:29 PM EDT by r4nger]
Lions Club...which is in bountiful. 4 bucks for the whole day and usually not to many people.

You guys seem to know alot more places to me...

I've been to Impact but have never heard of the other ranges. Could someone give me prices and general directions to those others...I'm up by Ogden Highschool.

Thanks

I would like to find somewhere closer than the Lions club to go shooting. I think tomorrow I'm going shooting somewhere so maybe I could try out one of these other ranges.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:31:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By r4nger:
Could someone give me prices and general directions to those others...I'm up by Ogden Highschool.

The spot in Weber Canyon isn't really a range. It's more just a recess in the mountain where people have gone shooting since before John Browning! You can only access it if you are heading westbound through the canyon. Look to the north just after you crest the hill (past the rest stop). You'll see a train tressel and behind it a scooped out section of the mountain. Cement barriers force you to drive further west. When they end turn off the freeway to the right and then double back along the dirt road. Hope that's descriptive enough.

The Weber Wildlife Federation has a "self-serve" range in Liberty north of Huntsville. Call Kent's Shooter Supplies in Ogden for directions. A $10 permit lets you shoot there all year.

I'm not sure how to desribe where the hill is west of Corinne. It's just north of the road that takes you out to Thiokol. I don't go there much. It stinks from the sulfer springs in the area, and the bugs are bad.

I did find this webpage today.

utahshootingsports.com/usscranges.htm

HTH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:09:24 PM EDT by r4nger]
Haha its funny you posted that link, right when you did I was about to post that site as I just found it as well.

About the Weber canyon place...whats the longest range you can shoot at(obviously it wouldn't be exact as its not a "range") Also is this before mountain green...I'm trying to picture it. Is the rest stop your talking about the big one on the eastbound side of the road and is the tressle on the west bound side where the river goes around like a U? Where I'm thinking is not far from the mouth of Weber canyon but not to Moutain Green yet. Theres a road that takes you back to it and under the the railroad tressle back into the recess where the river is. is the place I'm thinkin of it?

Thanks

P.S. Would it be a good place to shoot some skeet? Me and my dad(shooting buddy) where talking about doing a little of that tomorrow as well.

P.P.S Hehe I just opened up Google earth and took a look. Cool FREE program.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:33:32 AM EDT
Yep... sounds like you're thinking of the right place. The distance you can shoot depends entirely on whether other people are there or not. You can move back at least 100 meters (SWAG), but if others are there they might set up in front of you.

I see a lot of people shooting skeet there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:55:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shooter_Doug:
I'm not sure how to desribe where the hill is west of Corinne. It's just north of the road that takes you out to Thiokol. I don't go there much. It stinks from the sulfer springs in the area, and the bugs are bad.

That area is actually private, and it used to be thoroughly posted, but people have torn down the signs and posts. I was never hassled there, but I dont shoot there anymore. Its actually where I first shot a gun and I also shot my first jackrabbit there. Its also known as Salt Creek Road, as it provides access to Salt Creek WMA.

Most of the BLM land in the state is open for shooting, provided you meet the rules about roads, buildings, houses and camps. That also applies to most National Forest lands.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:48:31 PM EDT

I'm not sure how to desribe where the hill is west of Corinne. It's just north of the road that takes you out to Thiokol. I don't go there much. It stinks from the sulfer springs in the area, and the bugs are bad. [/quote

That area is actually private, and it used to be thoroughly posted, but people have torn down the signs and posts. I was never hassled there, but I dont shoot there anymore. Its actually where I first shot a gun and I also shot my first jackrabbit there. Its also known as Salt Creek Road, as it provides access to Salt Creek WMA.

It's called Little mountain and now owned by the Miles Cap Ferry family in Corinne.
As a kid we used to go Eastering there. Rolled many an Easter egg down the mountain there.
JR
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:12:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 9:12:24 PM EDT by r4nger]
Well I went and checked out the Weber Canyon place tonight....that must be the Saturday night place to go in Utah cause there was a bunch of people there. We decided not to stay cause it was pretty cramped.

Thanks for telling me about that place, its very cool, I'll just have to go during the week.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:39:48 PM EDT
One of my big clients is in Mt Green. Sometimes when I know I'll be spending a day up there I'll take my AR, ammo, and targets and spend my lunchtime shooting. Usually I'm the only one there. Sometimes there will be one or two others.

I don't feel too comfortable there when there are a bunch of people . I've seen some mighty poor muzzle disicpline.

Now if I can only talk Browning into letting me use their range!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:05:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shooter_Doug:
I don't feel too comfortable there when there are a bunch of people . I've seen some mighty poor muzzle disicpline.

Thats part of the reason we left...too many people that didn't look like gun safety was at the top of there list.
Page Hometown » Utah
Top Top