Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:08:26 PM EDT
GOD I hate MRE's but when hungry Id eat a buzzards ass. Do I have to order them or can I get them local here in Jax. The new ones not 5 yr old ones..

Slug-O
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, Slug-O....
I don't know of anywhere to get MRE's locally.  I ordered mine.  I'll look for the supplier and pass it along if you'd like.
If you don't already have one, a water filter is also a great idea.  

-Kerri
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah...
If you want new MRE's be sure they are in green packaging.  The brown/beige packaged ones are as old as from the 90's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love MRE's.

Especially ones with cheesecake for dessert?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I started to look for some and realized a few things.  Original military MRE's are illegal to sell.  All the "advertised" MRE's I found were "civilian" reproductions that contained less food.

Some MRE's that you find in pawn shops, unless near a military base, are "older ones", not that being old is that big a deal, but it could be.  You just don't know where they have been and how they have been stored, especially if they are lose and not in a sealed case.

After looking at the case cost, I decided it better to buy case items like tuna, ham, spam, etc as well as veggies, rice, beans, etc.  I think $$ for $$, you can get more "emergency" food by buying these type of items.  You can even pre-pack meals if so desired including a plastic spoon/fork/salt/pepper/ etc.  Kind of make up you own "MRE" as many meat items now come in foil packaging.  Granted they may not be as durable as far as the robust MRE packaging.

Hell, one could get really creative and make "BUG OUT" meals a hell of a lot cheaper than buying MRE's at $45 to $65 per case of 12 meals.

Just a thought..........
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, Slug-O, check this site out. It's a civilian MRE, but I think you can customize your meal selection.

Civie MREs
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
My emergency food plan includes a few days worth of MRE's, lots of meal replacement bars (like MetRX, for example), and as well as plenty of canned goods that don't require cooking (as Bowhntr6pt suggests), a can opener, plus crackers, peanut butter, instant coffee, hot chocolate mix, powdered milk, instant soups, a coleman propane stove with lots of propane refills (which opens up more possiblities for food choices), and several high quality water filters, some very portable, one pretty big. Bottled water, too, of course. Paper plates, cups, and bowls, along with plastic cutlery. It's good to have cookies and similar goodies for little kids (if you have any), because familiar treats help create a sense of normalcy and security for them.

A good supply of various sizes of plastic trash bags, unscented baby wipes, and paper towels also helps make the food related aspect of preparedness more convenient.  

I feel myself getting carried away here....I'm trying to keep it restricted to food....

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
you make a good point.... one could get canned food for alot less and have better food to eat than an MRE.  Thanks guys and gals..

Slug-O
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Just dont come to my house. Hell man we could kill enough animals to survive in are hood.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
After Hurricane Charley had went through our area, the Red Cross was passing these out like wildfire.  And man were they great!!!  When the Red Cross trucks would come through our neighborhood, it was just like the Ice Cream man coming through.  Everyone would flock to the trucks.  

Go here to get them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Why are the REAL MRE's illegal to sell to us peons

WAIT!

Lemme guess, Billie boy strikes again?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why are the REAL MRE's illegal to sell to us peons

WAIT!

Lemme guess, Billie boy strikes again?

Has something to do with the $$ that goes to make them and the fact they are labeled "Not for Sale".  Search the net and you will find many disclaimers pointing out the "big deal" that they can not be sold... legally.

Hell, I used to see them all the time at th pawn shops and gun shops outside the post gate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
If I am not mistaken they are illegal to sell only if you are a commercial entity trying to make money off the governments property.Individuals can sell them all day long from my understanding of what is printed on the sides of the cases.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Get those Heater Meals.  Way better than MRE's IMO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Never had 'em before. Do they last as long as MRE's?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never had 'em before. Do they last as long as MRE's?

The site says 24 month shelf life.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#19]
egay..uh..ebay
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
After Hurricane Charley had went through our area, the Red Cross was passing these out like wildfire.  And man were they great!!!  When the Red Cross trucks would come through our neighborhood, it was just like the Ice Cream man coming through.  Everyone would flock to the trucks.  

www.quakepro.com/HeaterMeals/images/SteamingFoodHeater.gif

Go here to get them.

Thanks for info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for info.

How've ya been BTW?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Besides the SoPAko crap or however its spelled does any of the manufacturers of .mil MRE's sell basically the same thing as the Military issues (like how some of the magazine manufacturers do it to get around the BS) that has everything INCLUDING the heater.

Those Heater meals are good but I want something with a longer shelf life that has everything in one package
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wait until after the hurricane, I have 5 cases after Katrina.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just wait until after the hurricane, I have 5 cases after Katrina.
photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4332/1296/320/mre1.jpg

Those look like the real deal, Where did you get 'em from and how much etc:
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, up here they were free so-to-speak. You had to go through a Hurricane and have those FEMA distribution stations near by. You'd just drive up and they'd throw a case in your vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]

When I was in MS last week, there was a whole semi-load of them across teh street.  The Bama NG guys weren't allowed to return to their camp until they passed them all out.  No locals, 10 days post-Katrina, even wanted the damn things.  The NG guys were begging folks coming thru for the ice or water to take a couple cases.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
When I was in MS last week, there was a whole semi-load of them across teh street.  The Bama NG guys weren't allowed to return to their camp until they passed them all out.  No locals, 10 days post-Katrina, even wanted the damn things.  The NG guys were begging folks coming thru for the ice or water to take a couple cases.

If thats the case I'd gladly take a few (dozen) cases off their hands, to bad its like 800 miles out of the way though
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If thats the case I'd gladly take a few (dozen) cases off their hands, to bad its like 800 miles out of the way though

I'm heading up there this coming weekend.  I'll let you know if I pick some up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#29]
By-the-buy, talk about "shelf life!"

Now with Y2K over with, I am gnawing on my old MREs. The real McCoy ones.

Had them in my house, first floor, and they are dated 1990!!! Back then, paid $15/case at gunshows.

I never let them freeze or in be the sun.

Fellas, they ain't bad. Had one pouch of applesauce blow up in the main packet, but that's it.

Spousal unit says I am crazy eatin 15 year old grub. I like the: "Cookie-chocolate covered." At best tastes like brown wax over a piece of 1 x 4. "HAM SLICE" MRE dinner tastes like an old inner tube. Hey, maybe I can keep one in the F-150 for any blowouts.

Best judge: let your dog sniff it--if he won't eat it, neither should you!

---Woody---
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top