Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/25/2004 5:56:57 PM EST
Okay, with the demise of the AWB I'm going to purchase another couple of rifles. Problem is that since moving here in 2002 I haven't purchased a firearm and don't have a working relationship with any dealer. I had a great relationship with a dealer in Wilmington, and the really helped me out, assuring themselves of plenty of repeat business from yours truly.

I was hoping someone could suggest a reputable dealer in the Triangle Area. I'm in Durham (unfortunately) and will drive anywhere from 45-50 miles for good service from a reputable dealer.

Any suggestions?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:14:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 6:15:04 PM EST by GomerPyle]
It maybe a little bit longer drive, but you could try Ed's Gunsnear Southern Pines. I know it's about 45 minutes to an hour to get there from Raleigh. They are great to deal with, and their prices are almost always the best you'll find.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:48:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:36:15 PM EST
Your in luck, there's a lot of good FFL's in the triangle. Where do you live? I've done a little gun business in the triangle... That said, I'll give the third thumbs up to Ed's. Great prices and good service. But, it's a hell of a drive, so add a full tank of gas to whatever you wanna buy. Locally, give PDHSC in Garner a try. They are every bit as good as Ed's though with a smaller selection. It's where I buy my reloading stuff and they aren't afraid of AR related stuff.

pdhsc

I also like Perry's in Wendell, but they are a drive and they get nervous about AR stuff. Burlington Gun and Pawn are also good, as is Mace Sports in Mebane. I've bought two firearms form Burlington (better prices), and I've buy most of my accessories from Mace (best local selection). Both are closer to me than PDHSC. I shoot IDPA with a guy who recently opened up a shop in Butner called Rudders Gun Services. He's a great guy and I would be happy to do business with him, but no money for toys.

I still like PDHSC an awful lot.

That said, Davi's is kind of expensive, and while they are generally friendly and helpful, some are idiots. I wish a Pox on Lawman's supply, Youngs Guns in Apex is a good shop with good prices but John (the manager )can come across a pompous ass. Randy the owner is a hell of a nice guy. McGregors Wing and Clay in Cary is a good shop but they deal mostly in EXPENSIVE double guns. B&B shooter Supply on Capital Ave. has excellent prices and Allen is a hell of a nice guy, but getting ahold of him has proven difficult in recent months. He's only open for business on Wednesday afternoons, and at gun shows. I don't like Hill's on Capital, there prices are outragous and it seems as though they only want to do business with the same four or five guys who are always hanging around in the shop. Finally there is Armory arms in N. Durham who kind of sketch me out a bit. They might be OK to do business with but there shop looks too dingy and unprofessional for me to put a lot of trust in them. And there's a shop in N. Raleigh, who's name I can't recall, but the guy won't let anyone even pick up a handgun without a valid pistol permit. I won't be heading there either.

JMHO. I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Wolffie

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:52:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By wolffie:
And there's a shop in N. Raleigh, who's name I can't recall, but the guy won't let anyone even pick up a handgun without a valid pistol permit. I won't be heading there either.

JMHO. I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Wolffie

Might that be Gunworks on Creedmoor Rd. I don't know how he stays in buisiness. Everyone hates his shop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:36:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By John-NC:

And there's a shop in N. Raleigh, who's name I can't recall, but the guy won't let anyone even pick up a handgun without a valid pistol permit. I won't be heading there either.

JMHO. I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Wolffie

Might that be Gunworks on Creedmoor Rd. I don't know how he stays in buisiness. Everyone hates his shop.

That's the one. I won't help keep him in business.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:30:38 PM EST
Awesome, thanks for the fedd back. I've seen and heard tidbits here and there about a place called "The Black Rifle Works" or something to that effect. Anyone ever heard of them?

I"m familiar with Ed's. My father lives in Southern Pines and has done a good bit of business with him. Since Pop knows Ed, I've been considering having him ask Ed if he will handle acouple of transfers for me. That way the tank of gas isn't wasted going down there. It isn't but about a 45 minute drive for me.

By the way, Armory Arms weirds me out too.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:31:50 PM EST
I can give Ed nothing but praise. If I buy another new gun, it would most likely come from him.

Right now I'm on a used gun, surplus + C&R kick though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:54:32 AM EST
+2 for Armory arms being a little strange.
They have done one transfer for me, charged me $35. They are some strange folks.
I asked for a box of 22 shorts and the daughter gave me 22LR. I told her they were the wrong bullets and she said ".22 is .22, sheesh."
I don't plan on using them again. Too sketchy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:45:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 12:05:34 AM EST by threefiftynone]
Sorry, advertising is not allowed in the Hometown Forums. IM with advertising info sent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:17:55 AM EST
No problem How do I let them know I am here/ I don`t always IM.
Red
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:51:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:37:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By John-NC:

JMHO. I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Wolffie

I woould really like to know how is stays in buisiness my self. You cant look at a hand gun with out a permit. I dont know what he will do now with a CCW works as a permit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:35:24 AM EST
A general gunstore may or may not be what you are looking for what I do is to call or link to armalite Dpms,cav arms and the like they all have listings to dealers who specialize in what you are looking for in there "Deales" listings. Cav arms has links I don`t know about the others.
Red
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:59:55 AM EST
I shoot IDPA with a guy who recently opened up a shop in Butner called Rudders Gun Services. He's a great guy and I would be happy to do business with him, but no money for toys.

Bill Rudder has his own shop now? Good for him! He still wowing them with the revolver?
I shot like 3 matches at Frank's about 3 years ago, thinking about starting up again.

Bill is a great guy.
Another +1 for Ed's Guns in Vass too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:35:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pat-Riot:
I shoot IDPA with a guy who recently opened up a shop in Butner called Rudders Gun Services. He's a great guy and I would be happy to do business with him, but no money for toys.

Bill Rudder has his own shop now? Good for him! He still wowing them with the revolver?
I shot like 3 matches at Frank's about 3 years ago, thinking about starting up again.

Bill is a great guy.
Another +1 for Ed's Guns in Vass too.

Where do you shoot IDPA? He's handling the transfer of my stripped FAL reciever best price in the triangle! A couple weeks ago he shot one of the informal IDPA matches at DCWC with a single action revolver in a western style gun belt. It was a sight see.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:33:35 PM EST
"The Range" in Oxford.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:24:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:37:32 PM EST
I got an upper from The Black Rifle Works a couple of weeks ago at a show in Charlote. David Finez seem to be a good guy and I could not be happier with his work. He told me the best way to get a hold of him is E-mail BLACKRIFLWORKS@BELLSOUTH.NET
Top Top