Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:43:58 PM EDT
I'll ask since it hasn't been asked yet. When is the next CMMG shoot? Looking forward to running and gunning again. I know some shooters who are ready and willing. I'll even RO if it helps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm open for Sat. July 12th or 19th and August 9th, 16th and 23rd.  Hope the date works for me when it gets set.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm open for Sat. July 12th or 19th and August 9th, 16th and 23rd.  Hope the date works for me when it gets set.

As long as it's not July 26-Aug 3rd I'll be there. I've been wantin to make one of these for a while.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll ask since it hasn't been asked yet. When is the next CMMG shoot? Looking forward to running and gunning again. I know some shooters who are ready and willing. I'll even RO if it helps.

Wow,
He Post!

I know you've been lurking, but I was wondering if you where ever going to post again?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as its not the third saturday, I'm fine  

The sooner we get a solid date, the better chance I have at getting some new shooters to show up  Yes I'm talking about you toothless, opusx, nobbie, drew5337, and a couple others, hell if they all decide to come we'll have to rent a damn van

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Make it the second week of August, I'll be out of state every weekend until then.  :(
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We'd like to schedule something within a month's time.  I will see about opening up a weekend for a get together.

Jeff

Please don't schedule it opposite a major 3-gun match.  That means not the same weekend as:

August 15-17 (DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge)
August 30-31 (Arkansas 3-Gun Championship)
September 5-7 (JP Rocky Mountain 3-gun)
October 3-5 (USPSA Multi-gun Nationals)
December 5-7 (Ft. Benning 3-gun)

and probably not the July 19 Benny Hill "dry run" Texas 3-gun Championship either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Fire up stage 9.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I am interested too....
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Are slugs used alot at CMMG matches ?
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are slugs used alot at CMMG matches ?

There were some last year on a stage, but there was none this year, doesn't mean they won't throw some in
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanx, I was talking to a friend who shoots there alot. Picked his brain as much as I could. Looks like I need to do alot of home work on 3 gun stuff.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanx, I was talking to a friend who shoots there alot. Picked his brain as much as I could. Looks like I need to do alot of home work on 3 gun stuff.

Watch these: Link

They're all good vids, but pay attention to the speed reload by tomasie, and the shotgun loading by Johnson and Horner

ETA: There is lots of good three gun info on the forums at brianenos.com
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#14]
TX for the links. I've seen them before but didnt think I'd get into 3 gun much, other than side stages at our club matches.  Never going to be as fast as Tomasie, Or Jarrett. My handgun work is OK. It's the shotgun stuff I lack on.  Rifle I do OK at close stuff,but not so hot at longer ranges. I think I talked to you a few times at the Higginsville matches about  CMMG.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
TX for the links. I've seen them before but didnt think I'd get into 3 gun much, other than side stages at our club matches.  Never going to be as fast as Tomasie, Or Jarrett. My handgun work is OK. It's the shotgun stuff I lack on.  Rifle I do OK at close stuff,but not so hot at longer ranges. I think I talked to you a few times at the Higginsville matches about  CMMG.

This month at higgensville everybody needs to wear name tags with arfcom names, I can't put a face to the "name"

What do you shoot there?  You shoot on a squad with me?

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot limited, STI. I was the one who won the rifle side match 2 months ago. I usually run a squad.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW!

Just means I'll have to talk jeff/ john into a high shotgun count and a lot of rifle for the next match, I'll be in trouble if you get to run a lot of pistol, won't be able to catch up HA!
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Easy big guy. If I get to go to the next match dont beat me up too bad
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The guy I had dinner with already told me he plans on puttin an ass whippin on me And Im sure he probably will, 6 shotgun rds, 20 rifle and LOTSA hangun sounds good too me. You guys gotta remember 25yds is a LOOOONG shot to me !!!  I fully expect to get my ass handed to me. But it does sound like a lot of fun
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't wait for the next CMMG 3-gun.  I have a new acquisition that just HAS to have a baptism of fire in competition.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I can't wait for the next CMMG 3-gun.  I have a new acquisition that just HAS to have a baptism of fire in competition.

Well, share dammit!!  Let's see some pics!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Come on Duke, I know you have pictures.  I have some, but have been waiting to see yours posted.  Don't keep everyone waiting..........

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, share dammit!!  Let's see some pics!!!

COME ON DUKE! LETS SEE IT!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Pics. Pics.. pics...
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I am guessing .50BMG or Tromix type Saiga 12 gauge.  Aug variant.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watch these: Link

They're all good vids, but pay attention to the speed reload by tomasie, and the shotgun loading by Johnson and Horner

ETA: There is lots of good three gun info on the forums at brianenos.com

Thanks for the link.  That's some pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am guessing .50BMG or Tromix type Saiga 12 gauge.  Aug variant.  

Yeah.  MSAR STG-556 with 9 inch rail instead of integrated optic.  I wasn't going to post pics of it yet or anything, because I don't have the complete package yet.  Its going to get a GRSC combat rifle scope, the 1-4x with the cool horseshoe shaped reticle and all.  But for now its just wearing an EOthingy while I test fire and get used to it.  

16 inch fluted barrel, chrome lined, 1/8 twist, in a 27 inch package.  Adjustable gas block just like the original, the whole thing is built with tremendous attention to detail.  I put one of DBAR's 3-9x quick detach optics on it briefly for an accuracy test and was pretty impressed (I only shot at 50 yards since I wasn't adjusting his optic settings, but accuracy is at least on par with my CMMG barreled M4gery), but I won't know for sure how good it is until I get it set up the way I want.  So far it has run flawlessly with MSAR's very nicely made 42 round mags (which are $7 cheaper than I can get used Steyr mags for anyway, so I don't care about mag compatibility issues).

For now I'm just enjoying how it handles and getting used assembly/disassembly, etc.  Its shorter than my wife's (11.5 inch barreled) SBR AR15 and about the same overall length as my (8.5 inch barreled) Krinkov, and more accurate than a full sized AK.  Weight is listed at 7.2lbs empty, but most of the weight is behind the trigger area, in the stock, so it balances differently than any other carbine I've ever had.  When I put a loaded 42 round mag in the gun and it doesn't feel any heavier than it did with an empty mag well (because the weight of those rounds is just pulling the huge rubberized stock pad down on your shoulder a little more), I realize just how different this gun is from anything else I've ever owned.

I'm hoping the trigger will break in a bit, right now its a little bit heavy, but not horrible.  I've felt worse triggers on off-brand ARs before.  Full size guns like my 20 inch Vietnam-clone AR just dwarf it.  

Its super expensive, unless things really go well at the law office it is probably my last gun for the year, but I'm convinced its worth it.  I'm going to get a side rail for it, optic/mount and sling, and probably some more high cap mags, and after all that I'll have more than $2000 invested in it.  But damn, it is just BEGGING to be shot in competition.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Great choice duke!  The fact that its shorter than "M's Hammer" without the permision from the king is really tempting me to sell some things and get one for myself.  

You know opinions are like...well you know...but I would go with one of the burris 1 to 4's before I'd go with the grsc, although it is a bit more $$$

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the GRSC's reticle, I think it suits what I'm going to do with the MSAR very well.  Which Burris would you recommend?  I've never liked their optics that much (for the money) but I've never messed with the lower powered ones before either, so maybe they are better.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Duke, this is the scope that I would get link

Part of me just trusts the burris more than the gsrc, after all of the people that had to return them because of the reticles that were "spidered" or "spolotched" or whatever you want to call it.  And I don't really like the size of them, they seem a lot bigger than comparable scopes.  Take this with a grain of salt, I've only seen the gsrc and a pre/ proto of the scope in a burris euro diamond.   However, this is on my list to be purchased for my competition rig.  

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Dibs on a mag through it someday. Very nice rifle Duke.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Duke, did you change the flash hider or is that what the new ones are coming with now?
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#33]
You have to see the MSAR to appreciate where the money went.  Truth be known, I don't really care for the bull pup configuration.  That being said, I have to say that the build quality of Dukes' MSAR is pretty damn good.  I was impressed with the fact that the bbl had just as much attention in it as my VLTOR Billet upper receiver has in it.  I especially liked the little dagger engraved in it where you would never see it unless you took the bbl out of the receiver.  Hell, even the bolt carrier was engraved.  I have to say that I've never seen a "combat weapon" put together as well as the MSAR.

Duke, I've never seen the optic that you where talking about.  But, I have to say that I like the Burris and, or the Leupold.

DBAR

Oh, and let me rub this in a little.

THANKS, for letting me put a few rounds through it.  It was a lot of fun.  I'm glad you had the Eotech on there.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to of shot it.  You know, being left eye dominate and all.....

EDIT:
Thanks Polytech,

Now, I want a new scope as well....

Anyone want to buy a Nikon Monarch 4-12 w/BDC reticle, or a Leupold 1-4????  Maybe both????
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Anyone want to buy a Nikon Monarch 4-12 w/BDC reticle, or a Leupold 1-4????  Maybe both????

Well it depends on how cheap you're letting the leupy go for

Polytech

ETA you could put a nice compact can on that thing and still be shorter than a 20" gun
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Duke, did you change the flash hider or is that what the new ones are coming with now?

That's the one it came with Jerad.  My understanding is that the first production run of barrels was 1/9 twist, had the "tulip" style flash hiders (which I think are beautiful) and had tight chambers.  Some people experienced failures to extract with very hot barrels because the brass was getting stuck in the chamber.  The later production barrels are 1/8 twist and have proper 5.56 NATO chambers--I think my my "Jagdkommando" style flash hider and 1/8 twist barrel means I got one of the later production rifles.  That, and the fact that it was on backorder since February and I got the call from my distributor that they had one actually come in for me in late June.

DBAR, here is the optic I'm planning on getting, for $350.  I really like the horseshoe reticle, it seems like a good evolution of the original "donut of death" reticle found on the Steyr AUG's 1.5x integrated optic.  

www.grsc.com/combatriflescope.php

I like the idea of making the horseshoe into a little "hat" to put on the head of the target I'm about to pop at 100 yards. Makes alot of sense to me.  I see the Burris has the same concept, that's cool, but....

Polytech, I checked dealer price on that Burris and its still $580 dude.  I'm not paying that much for anything with the Burris name on it.  The way I look at it, if I'm going to blow that kind of money I might as well go all the way and spend an extra hundie or so on a used ACOG off of the Equipment Exchange.  I think the ACOG/MSAR combination would be a worthy one too, but the price difference between those options and the GRSC is about the same as ten more 42 round mags for the gun.  I'd definitely like to take a look through the GRSC before I buy one but I don't think I'm going to get the chance.  Anyone have one yet that they want to show me?
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Duke,
ARinkcmo has one of those scopes, maybe we could get together for a range day, maybe get toothless to take us to pioneer.  

Polytech

ETA:  I've got a burris 3x9 with the balistipex, its very clear and a great scope for the $$, I've had a good experience with it so far.  

I did notice that the burris has the horseshoe too, wonder if it is minute of minor's head like those pics above
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Duke,
ARinkcmo has one of those scopes, maybe we could get together for a range day, maybe get toothless to take us to pioneer.  

I have a Millett DMS.  Reticle is different, but is kind of similar with how it is  set up with a 'ballistic computer' with different parts of the reticle (donut with dot, then 'german' type T-Crosshairs).  Next time we all get together, remind me to bring it.  I really like it for the 3 gun stuff.  In 1x mode, it's like a dot sight.  Snap it up to 4x, and I'm personally good with it out to 200 yards.  Anything beyond that, and my marksmanship skills need work to match the scopes ability to hit out that far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one it came with Jerad.  My understanding is that the first production run of barrels was 1/9 twist, had the "tulip" style flash hiders (which I think are beautiful) and had tight chambers.  Some people experienced failures to extract with very hot barrels because the brass was getting stuck in the chamber.  The later production barrels are 1/8 twist and have proper 5.56 NATO chambers--I think my my "Jagdkommando" style flash hider and 1/8 twist barrel means I got one of the later production rifles.  That, and the fact that it was on backorder since February and I got the call from my distributor that they had one actually come in for me in late June.

hmm.. That's is strange, I'm going to have to do some research b/c mine is one of the limited editions, number Tan 65 and its got a 1/8 twist barrel with the tulip flash hider. I wonder what chamber it's got....?

Link Posted: 7/7/2008 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Duke,

I have a Millett DMS.  Reticle is different, but is kind of similar with how it is  set up with a 'ballistic computer' with different parts of the reticle (donut with dot, then 'german' type T-Crosshairs).  Next time we all get together, remind me to bring it.  I really like it for the 3 gun stuff.  In 1x mode, it's like a dot sight.  Snap it up to 4x, and I'm personally good with it out to 200 yards.  Anything beyond that, and my marksmanship skills need work to match the scopes ability to hit out that far.

I had a feeling I was wrong
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Duke-  How is that thing going to treat a leftie?  From the pics you posted, it looks like the cheek weld is right opposite of the ejection port, hence probably would not be very lefty friendly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Cav, I believe all you need is the left-hand bolt to swap it over.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#43]
depending on the weekend i just might have to drag out my skinny gun and give this a try......see if two of us can beat jm1911
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
depending on the weekend i just might have to drag out my skinny gun and give this a try......see if two of us can beat jm1911

Not you too!  Its bad enough when Alan shows up and whoops on me!    O well, I'll still be able to beat 69camaro and Toothlessrooster
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Never heard of GRSC.  Are they relatively new to the optics market?  That alone would steer me away from them until they have a proven track record.

Kinda sorta.  Guy came up with his own scope, and 'outsourced' it to China.  Exactly like Millet did with the DMS.

In the optics forum, there was quite a long thread about the development of the GRSC, maker is an arfcommer.  Also, floating around here at arf or maybe at Enos' board, the designer of the DMS has popped into threads talking about it's development.  Both are very interesting reads.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not you too!  Its bad enough when Alan shows up and whoops on me!    O well, I'll still be able to beat 69camaro and Toothlessrooster

have no fear.......the rifle and pistol i'm ok with, but watching me try to reload a shotgun is kinda like watching a monkey hump a door knob! the only defference is i will curse out loud and the monkey won't. will he jm1911?
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Cav, I believe all you need is the left-hand bolt to swap it over.  

Yeah, with a leftie bolt it swaps in about 2 minutes.  Not that I'm ever going to shoot it left handed.  I don't believe in swapping shoulders depending on what corner you are going around as a matter of carbine doctrine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

have no fear.......the rifle and pistol i'm ok with, but watching me try to reload a shotgun is kinda like watching a monkey hump a door knob! the only defference is i will curse out loud and the monkey won't. will he jm1911?

Well then I'll hope for a repeat of stage #9  39 minimum shotgun rounds HA!!!!!!!!!

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Never heard of GRSC.  Are they relatively new to the optics market?  That alone would steer me away from them until they have a proven track record.

Wannabe Short Dot. Don't know the actual maker, but it is a copy.

I understood from someone that it was an OK scope but it sounds somewhat overpriced for a knockoff to me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top