Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:31:01 AM EDT
My wife and I went to Cool Spring Galleria yesterday for the first time in over a year.  I noticed, by chance, as we walked into the Food Court that they have 8.5"x11" no firearms signs on the bottom pane of glass in the 2 outside sliding doors.  

First of all, when did this happen?  I don't remember them.

Second, I thought they, the signs, had to be much bigger and at eye level, not on easily covered up doors.  Am I wrong on this?

My wife didn't much care, but I will never shop there again.  After all the crap that's happened in the past year, I don't go anywhere with out a carry now...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's see...

1. High prices hy.gif

3. No carry
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
What city is this abomination in? Even Wolfchase Galleria in Memphis, TN allows carry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]
It stradles Franklin and Brentwood in Middle TN.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure Hank knows so he can put them on the boycott list.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just there last week, and I did not notice any sign at the entrance I used.  I specifically looked for one.

What exactly did the sign say?  TN law is pretty specific as to the posting requirements.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would anyone choose Cool Springs over Green Hills Mall?    
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Food Court, Beer sells and drinking?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool Springs Galleria's "Mall Rules" have always had "no firearms" as one of them.  The mall rules are written in fairly small type, and usually on a poster-size, or smaller, frame
15 or 20 feet inside the doors.

Tennessee law is very specific on what signage consititutes proper posting.  

9-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings — Posting notice. —
(a)  An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by §§ 39-17-1351 — 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

(b)  Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.

(c)  Any posted notice being used by a local, state or federal governmental entity on July 1, 2000, that is in substantial compliance with the provisions of subsection (a) of this section may continue to be used by the governmental entity.

(d)  The provisions of this section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.

[Acts 1996, ch. 905, § 11; 2000, ch. 929, § 1.]

Cool Springs does not comply with the law, from what I've seen.  However, I cannot recall the last time I went in via the food court doors.  I rarely go deeper into the mall than the Sears tool department...and they have an exterior door with no signs whatsoever.

Also, I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV.

Seek legal counsel if you want a more informed opinion.  John Harris of the Tennessee Firearms Association would be my recommendation.

The mall is officially within the city limits of Franklin...much to the chagrin of Brentwood.

David
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why would anyone choose Cool Springs over Green Hills Mall?    

well, like I said, it's been a year or more since I went to a mall outside Murfreesboro, but when I do, it's because Cool Springs is on my way to work, on a round-about-way to  Columbia (Family), and the fact that I have no frigging clue where the Green Hills mall is.

I can't quote what the sign said, but it mentioned the law  stating they could prohibit carry, with the cirle w/ the line over the gun.  

ETA: As best I can remember, it did say this in both English and spanish:  

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

I wondered if they had it on all the doors or just the food court.  

Anyways, I'll not shop there again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Why would anyone choose Cool Springs over Green Hills Mall?     Hills
No Victoria's Secret, No Bass Pro, Nothing I feel ike paying a 200% mark up for...

Carry anyway.  Shoot I carried opened for a while at Opry but last time I was in I asked a Security nerd if there were signs and he'd show them to me
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Last time I was in Green Hills all they had was high end fashion crap, a Starbucks and a Cabinet Hardware store...

No Victoria's Secret, No Bass Pro, Nothing I feel ike paying a 200% mark up for...

Green Hills Mall has had a VS for several years now.

As for Bass Pro, personally I don't need much from fuddville.    
And I live about 2 miles from Bass Pro.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top