Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2010 6:38:37 PM EDT
When do you guys usually start planting your veggies? I am new to gardening
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I will probably be planting late april to early may.  I am in wast tn.  If you are near chatt.,  which I believe you are you should probably not plant before the first of May.  Check the farmers almanac for your last freeze date and plant after that.  If you plant early and it freezes... you start over.   If you plant a little later... Your harvest is just a little later.
C
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a whole mess off seeds at Rural King the other night.  Highlights are lettuce, cabbage, zuchini, cucumbers, carrots, radish, turnips and some other stuff.  Still need to get some onion sets and I have never had good luck starting tomatoes from seed so I get a few plants when the big box stores put them out.  I will be starting my seeds in some little starter trays and keeping them inside here ina week or two.  I am up in the clarksville area by hte way.  I plant a little early, and then panic watching the thermometer every night covering my plants with old bed sheets if it gets too cold.  I grew up In NW PA though so I am a little more used to cold weather gardening than most of the locals here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Last average frost date for West Tennessee is late March early April.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
starting seeds indoors this week
will move them out to the garden after the last frost
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what you are planting.  Lettuce should be in, cucs/squash not until May
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I usually use April 15 as a guideline for the last frost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top