Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 12:05:43 PM EDT
I'm not qualified to comment because i've only shot at altcar, but i'm sure some of you guys get around a bit.

What would be the best place to spend a days shooting, i'd like to take altcar out of the picture straight away due to the fact, you can only shoot from a prone position ( bummer ).
Are there any ranges you can goto to knock things down rather that shoot at a paper target ?

Over to you !

Steve.

P.s. i've thought of 1 redeeming factor for altcar, It has a pub on site for the usual after shoot pint
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:38:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clayo:
I'm not qualified to comment because i've only shot at altcar, but i'm sure some of you guys get around a bit.

What would be the best place to spend a days shooting, i'd like to take altcar out of the picture straight away due to the fact, you can only shoot from a prone position ( bummer ).
Are there any ranges you can goto to knock things down rather that shoot at a paper target ?

Over to you !

Steve.

P.s. i've thought of 1 redeeming factor for altcar, It has a pub on site for the usual after shoot pint

Aah the Red Rose.
Altcar's OK, except for the long walk round to the butts and the fact that you have to post sentries.
I've never experienced any problems shooting from any position when I've been there.
There are plenty of good ranges, in fact too many to mention.
Obviously you've never shot on an ETR range. These are knock-down targets.
Field firing ranges are fun too, especially if they're unknown-distance ranges.
One of my all-time favourite ranges is "N" range at Sennybridge. This sweeps down from the firing point across a stream and then the targets stretch out in a 45 deg fan all the way up the other side of the valley to about 600M. It's a section support and sniper range.
Loads of fun.

The best way to experience other ranges is to shoot competitions on the PR circuit for example.
That way you'll get plenty of variety, get to meet a great bunch of people and gain a lot of shooting experience also.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT
Can't say I've shot on them all yet, but there aren't many I haven't. The ETR ones are fine if the targets are well maintained................... I would go for "B" Range (Section in Defence) at Warcop or for Gallery Ranges I would hazzard Century (barring accidents! ) or Diggle. I include Diggle as it's privately owned and deserves to be supported.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:51:47 PM EDT
Any range that I get to shoot on is a good range....

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:08:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 11:18:41 AM EDT by Scope-eye]
Take a look at this LINK.

It lists some ranges I've shot on and a few others with a brief description of the targets etc. It's not updated as regularly as I'd like but the basics are there.

Matt

ETA: updated URL to direct link.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:13:27 AM EDT
Nice one Matt, i'll have a browse through that !

Steve
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:27:48 PM EDT
Matt, yer a mine of information.............
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:26:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:
Matt, yer a mine of information.............

still waiting for a review of the Warcop ranges from you Dave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:55 PM EDT
Work in progress!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 3:08:31 PM EDT by Scope-eye]

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:
Take a look at this LINK.

site updated with a few more pics you might recognise

thanks bunnyassassin.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:26:57 PM EDT
Looking good! Not so for the shoot on the 17th Sept at Warcop .......... No military bookings as of 10.30am today...... Also not heard back from Fortmeier......... Anyone got contact details for Chris S.? Please IM....

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:53:11 AM EDT
IM on its way.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
Excellent! Got it and emailed him........ apparently their email is down and having sent 3 faxes I would have hoped for some semblance of a response? May well have to deal with their UK importer after all? Anyone else dealt with Fortmeier?
Top Top