Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2011 5:38:45 PM EDT
Hi all.  Looking to branch out and go to a few new gun stores.  Willing to drive just about anywhere to check out a great store.  I live in the Akron area and my favorite store is fin Feather fur in Ashland.  Been going there forever.  I love the selection of firearms, ammo, and reloading components they have.  Pretty decent prices also.  I have also frequented Kames sporting goods in North Canton and Sportsmens Den in Shelby.  I've got some extra time in a couple weeks and thought it would be fun to take a road trip with my pops.

Where would you recommend checking out?

Thanks and apologies if this has already been a topic!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Fin feather and fur, where you go, has the best reloading supplies of any place in Ohio, that I have seen.  

Woodbury Outfitters in Coshocton has some of the best prices on guns that I have seen (they often beat online prices), and a decent inventory.  

Vance's and Buckeye Outdoors (same company, two locations) have large inventories and good deals on police trade ins (and the occasional used gun), but I think they range from average to overpriced on most other things.  

For pricing Gun Envy is excellent, but they have a very small storefront and don't keep much in stock (although they have a decent amount of ammo right now), you have to order the vast majority of things.  I order guns through them the most frequently because they have good prices and service.

Au Miller in Westerville is small but has lots of amazing class three toys on the walls, but you can't touch any of it.  I like to stop in there any poke around every now and then, just seeing a genuine BAR and MG34 in person makes it worth it to me (and countless other mg's).  His pricing is reasonable, maybe slightly high, but I've only bought ammo and reloading stuff from him.  He had a very good price on a Swedish Mauser a couple months ago.. but I couldn't scratch enough together to get it before someone else did.

Blackwing shooting center is nice.  It's my favorite indoor range, with the nicest facilities and the most reasonable pricing (for the range part).  They also have a good selection.  Their guns are reasonable, but their reloading stuff is often overpriced.  They also have suppressors for sale.

I used to go to the powder room in Powell, but they raised their prices and the range is kinda crappy.  I didn't mind it when it was cheap, but now I won't go there.

Aim Hi in New Albany has a good selection of Dillon reloading stuff, and I'll go there when I need to pick up some of that.  The range is a little pricy though, and their gun pricing and selection is mediocre.

I haven't been there in a while, but West Jefferson Outfitters had good prices on AR stuff and pistols when I visited.  Inventory was small, but they were just getting started too.. may be better now I don't know.

Of those, If you are just looking for interesting stores to visit, I would say the most worthwhile are:

Woodbury Outfitters
Vance or Buckeye Outdoors
Blackwing
Au Miller

However, some are pretty close together and depending on your route and time commitment, you might as well hit others along the way.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fin feather and fur, where you go, has the best reloading supplies of any place in Ohio, that I have seen.  

Woodbury Outfitters in Coshocton has some of the best prices on guns that I have seen (they often beat online prices), and a decent inventory.  

Vance's and Buckeye Outdoors (same company, two locations) have large inventories and good deals on police trade ins (and the occasional used gun), but I think they range from average to overpriced on most other things.  

For pricing Gun Envy is excellent, but they have a very small storefront and don't keep much in stock (although they have a decent amount of ammo right now), you have to order the vast majority of things.  I order guns through them the most frequently because they have good prices and service.

Au Miller in Westerville is small but has lots of amazing class three toys on the walls, but you can't touch any of it.  I like to stop in there any poke around every now and then, just seeing a genuine BAR and MG34 in person makes it worth it to me (and countless other mg's).  His pricing is reasonable, maybe slightly high, but I've only bought ammo and reloading stuff from him.  He had a very good price on a Swedish Mauser a couple months ago.. but I couldn't scratch enough together to get it before someone else did.

Blackwing shooting center is nice.  It's my favorite indoor range, with the nicest facilities and the most reasonable pricing (for the range part).  They also have a good selection.  Their guns are reasonable, but their reloading stuff is often overpriced.  They also have suppressors for sale.

I used to go to the powder room in Powell, but they raised their prices and the range is kinda crappy.  I didn't mind it when it was cheap, but now I won't go there.

Aim Hi in New Albany has a good selection of Dillon reloading stuff, and I'll go there when I need to pick up some of that.  The range is a little pricy though, and their gun pricing and selection is mediocre.

I haven't been there in a while, but West Jefferson Outfitters had good prices on AR stuff and pistols when I visited.  Inventory was small, but they were just getting started too.. may be better now I don't know.

Of those, If you are just looking for interesting stores to visit, I would say the most worthwhile are:

Woodbury Outfitters
Vance or Buckeye Outdoors
Blackwing
Au Miller

However, some are pretty close together and depending on your route and time commitment, you might as well hit others along the way.

Wow Meesta!  Excellent response, just what I was hoping to hear.  Sounds like I need to make a day out of it. Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Top Gun Supply has an excellent online presence.  A friend stopped by their Chesterland store front and said it was very nice but much smaller than Vance's.  Vance's has is the largest number of firearms traced by ATF in the entire US so it's kinda tough to beat an operation that size.  Vance's sells NFA weapons but that may be for LE only, I've never seen any in the store for sale.  When you want to talk to a salesman at Vance's you have to "take a number" just like at a butcher shop.

Aumiller wants to sell his business within the next few years so don't wait real long on visiting him.

I believe the CMP North Store near Sandusky still is open for visiting / shopping.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Sportsmans Den In Shelby Ohio.  They have always treated me well and I have gotten a lot of good deals there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Fin Feather and Fur as well but my all time favorite is Runzo's in Westville. It's between Salem and Sebring and the one guy that works there, Drew, is simply awesome.
I have been spending money with Drew for quite a long time and they seem to beat just about any price that I can find.
If they don't have a specific item in stock they can get it within one week or less in most cases. Wide selection of reloading components, archery and fishing gear as well.

Another good place, especialy for black rifle parts, is G&R tactical in Mineral City. Grant is the guy that owns/operates it and he is also great to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all. Looking forward to a road trip!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like Fin Feather and Fur as well but my all time favorite is Runzo's in Westville. It's between Salem and Sebring and the one guy that works there, Drew, is simply awesome.
I have been spending money with Drew for quite a long time and they seem to beat just about any price that I can find.
If they don't have a specific item in stock they can get it within one week or less in most cases. Wide selection of reloading components, archery and fishing gear as well.

Another good place, especialy for black rifle parts, is G&R tactical in Mineral City. Grant is the guy that owns/operates it and he is also great to deal with.

You know you can't mention Grant's name around here right? IBTL
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]

My Top 3 would be.

Woodbury outfitters is number 1 for me. Great prices in store and even better ones through their gunbroker listings.

Fin feather and fur a close 2nd. Great ammo and reloading selection always has good sales.

Top gun supply 3rd. Great store for higher end guns and 1911's
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Backwoods gun shop down in Bidwell moved near the top of my list very quickly. BIG shop, but not much on the gun inventory, but they were just getting up and running.

But they had everything AR you could think of. AP/Eo's, P-mags, triggers, etc, etc. The guys there are BY FAR the best gunshop help I've ever encountered.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Backwoods gun shop down in Bidwell moved near the top of my list very quickly. BIG shop, but not much on the gun inventory, but they were just getting up and running.

But they had everything AR you could think of. AP/Eo's, P-mags, triggers, etc, etc. The guys there are BY FAR the best gunshop help I've ever encountered.

Address? Or  phone #?  Website?

Inquiring  minds  need to know.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like Sportsmans Den In Shelby Ohio.  They have always treated me well and I have gotten a lot of good deals there.

I like this store also. Bought my GSG 1911 .22 there for a really good price.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Vances Buckeye Outdoors. http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/

Also I like BlackWing, prices are kinda high compared to above.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#13]
You know you can't mention Grant's name around here right? IBTL[/quote]

No, I had no idea.
Sorry if I infringed on any rule that I am not aware of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
B&T Shooting Supplies used to be my fav. Then Fin Fur Feather opened up a store two miles away from them. Better prices. Better selection. And a little shorter drive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Olde English Outfitters...Tipp City.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
B&T Shooting Supplies used to be my fav. Then Fin Fur Feather opened up a store two miles away from them. Better prices. Better selection. And a little shorter drive.

And a better attitude!

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I like going to our local grocery store, Golden Dawn in Jefferson.  I don't have a problem with the guys in there, but some say a couple of the guys can be aloof and act like you're bothering them.  Larry and Donny are great guys.

I am also a FFF fan.  I fly a fair amount for business, my wife said "GREAT" when I told her they had opened a store near Hopkins.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this store also. Bought my GSG 1911 .22 there for a really good price.

Do they have extra mags for the GSG?  I bought one and have been looking when ever I stop at a gun store.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Backwoods Guns in Bidwell is awesome. Last I was there he had a huge selections of firearms, from ARs, 1911s, Glocks, to anything you can think of hunting related (shotguns, etc.).

Not to mention he has an awesome inventory of parts and tools.

Unfortunately, they are 4 hours away from us (they are about 3 miles from the in-laws though).

My favorite local FFL/shop is EOD (Erie Ordnance Depot). He just moved from Oak harbor to south of Bowling Green, but at the moment I'm not sure if he has a retail shop setup yet.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Address? Or  phone #?  Website?

Inquiring  minds  need to know.

G00gle  was my friend:  www.backwoodsguns.com

Just  got off the phone  w/him.  Sounds like a nice guy  & a road trip  worthy  place.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Local - Afield in Colerain Twp.  If I feel like driving, it's Vance's in Columbus.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wouldnt buy anything at g&r tactical there customer service sucks, once he gets your money he wants nothing else to do with you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
ADCO
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would have said the same thing a year ago, BUT they have gone way down hill with most of the salesmen being absolute jerks here recently!

I would have to say:

FIN, FEATHER, AND FUR is now way above them in 90% of the stuff!
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Ive always had trouble getting help at fin feather fur's gun section, maybe its because im a real young guy, Im always just waiting there checking something out then the move right past me
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.jenamygunshop.com/  In Milford

Tiny shop the guy runs out of his basement.

Not much selection gun wise but he has every AR part you can think of and his prices are cheaper than a lot of online vendors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I got nothing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#29]
ADCO, I like talking to Steve.

We hit Bass Pro often but usually just for accessories and outdoor stuff.  And lunch.

Fin, not much more can be added that has not been posted.  I kinda miss the old store.

Vances,  I like shopping just down from da hood.

EOD,  Jim does a great job on the AK platform. Not a big retail store however.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#30]
TopGunSupply is good.  Lots of nice stuff there and the one time I went, the service was really good.  Looked at a whole bunch of guns and ended up buying a 226.

I like the guys at B&T.  They've always been very helpful for me. I had to have gone there three times to 'molest' different types of ARs before buying one.  I was an AR virgin at the time and they were cool about showing me the ropes.  They just moved to a new, larger store about a mile from the previous store.

Stonewall is okay.  Depends on who's working when you get there. Some of the workers are awesome and really attentive; others don't seem to care.  I go there enough to know who's who and am able to grab one of the cool workers if I want to look at something.

FF&F is also good.  The new one in Berea is really nice.  Was just there with the wife on Saturday 'cause she wanted to look at an M&P for her. She didn't like the grip so I asked the worker to put the smaller back-strap on for her.  He disappeared into the back room for a few minutes looking for the box, came out, swapped the back-straps, and we ended up buying it.  Good experience.

I don't live too close, but I've been to ADCO a couple of times with a buddy who does live close.  Nice place. Guys are all cool to BS with. Steve knows ARs like the back of his hand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1 especially if you're a 1911 fan.  They actually STOCK COLTs!!!! and kimber, and SA...
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ive always had trouble getting help at fin feather fur's gun section, maybe its because im a real young guy, Im always just waiting there checking something out then the move right past me

Same here.  
Same problem at Sportsmen Den.  
Screw em, we spent our collective $11,000 at Vance's (and the Hara Arena gun show the following month)

If anyone out there ever gets around Lima.... the Artillery Shed, while not a very big store, offers excellent service and will often price match.  Check out their website!
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not much selection gun wise but he has every AR part you can think of and his prices are cheaper than a lot of online vendors.

Another plug for them.  Bought my M&P40c from them earlier this year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#34]
For general firearm purchases and reloading supplies, the FIN.  For AR related stuff, builds and great service, ADCO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They used to be terrible to deal with, I avoided that place like the plague! But they have really improved over the last several years. I bought my last shotgun there and several accessories and they've treated me well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:01:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet another plug - Don't let the small basement shop turn you off. Bob is a great guy to deal with!!! Handles GunBroker/On-Line transfers without the attitude. Handles orders quick and will spent time searching for something you can't find on line. Prices are the best and he's an excellent gunsmith with reasonable rates and turn around times. Wish he would get his Class III lic. though.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#37]
+1 on Olde English. I live in the Hamilton/Fairfield area and am not afraid to travel to a good shop. Shooters Supply in Loveland is good also. Used to go to AIM all the time for stuff because of their prices plus they are 5 minutes from where I work. However, their restrictive counter sale policies have  stopped me from buying from them now. Shame I really liked going there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I have not been to BackWoods Guns yet. I plan on checking them out this month.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I will throw in a plug for 8MM Dales place Delta Epsilon in Hilliard, good guy to deal with, reasonable prices, best price for doing a transfer that I know of.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will throw in a plug for 8MM Dales place Delta Epsilon in Hilliard, good guy to deal with, reasonable prices, best price for doing a transfer that I know of.

I agree with this one!
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Have bought a few guns from Woodbury lately....they also sell on gunbroker under "supohunter."  I have got a couple good deals from them and I can pick them up too so that save shipping and transfer fees as well.

I have bought firearms and reloading components from Buckeye Outdoors, but not Vances.  They usually have sales going and have a pretty good selection as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Norton Sporting Goods, just off 23 on 229 WEST, between Delaware and Marion.

Small LGS, I stop in once a week to see what he has got in on trade.  Large selection of guns for the size of the shop.  No AR parts, but has some milsurp ammo.  They sell range passes for the Delaware State Range about 2 miles away.

Definitly a hunting shop with some HD/SD goodies thrown in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Olde English...Near Tipp City.

Bought a Mini14 and Bushmaster A3 Heavy Barrel there. Prices are reasonable to slightly over priced. If i want to handle something that's where i go, just because like someone else said, they stock a little of everything. If you go there on a busy weekend you may have to wait to be helped.

Has the feel and atmosphere of what a real gun shop should look like.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Stockers Shop on Ohio rt 46 just north of Warren. Good guys and prices.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone been to B&T's new store yet? With FF&F so close to them now, they had to do something to attract customers. Hopefully they lowered their prices.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
ADCO, without a doubt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#47]
In the Cuyahoga Falls area there is Pro-Armamnet, i have bought a lot of my stuff from there. They are more geared towards the tactical market and have a lot of high end rifles to choose from. They also have a gun range too, so its nice to try out a new gun when you buy one ;)

But Closer to Cleveland there is Stonewall Store/Range, specifically in Breksville, which is the indoor range I frequent the most. I really like the store, they have a lot to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet another plug - Don't let the small basement shop turn you off. Bob is a great guy to deal with!!! Handles GunBroker/On-Line transfers without the attitude. Handles orders quick and will spent time searching for something you can't find on line. Prices are the best and he's an excellent gunsmith with reasonable rates and turn around times. Wish he would get his Class III lic. though.....

I stopped by there for the 1st time 2 weeks ago and picked up a lower and some other stuff. Super nice guy, not your typical gun shop owner/employee where most are so cocky ect... I will be going back when I have money for more parts. Price wise I would say really good gun shop wise and average to online prices.

I also love going to Afeild as well, One Shot in newtown is decent and most other shops in the Cincy area are either gone or not like they used to be.

Anyone know what happened to Sportsman's Gallery on Pippen?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Another +1
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey! don't forget DICK'S GUN ROOM, over on state route #8 in Cuyahoga Falls:

extremely knowledgeable staff (ask for "Gary")

decent prices

know how to treat customers

(they and Gary got me hooked on firearms back in the early 80's)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top