Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2011 6:58:58 PM EST
I'm in the East Valley and I've never had issues selling a vehicle in the past, but I'm having the darnedest time selling my truck this time. And from asking around, I'm not alone. I've had my truck advertised for seven weeks on AutoTrader (both online and print) and craigslist and I have only had one call on it this whole time. I've now got it priced $5k under the next truck like it (which has twice the miles on it) in an attempt to get some bites but still nothing! After emailing other sellers on AutoTrader I hear the same thing over and over, whether it's cars, Jeeps, 2WD trucks, 4WD trucks, nothing really seems to be selling private party, and it sounds like a lot of guys are willing to take significant hits on their cars just to get out of payments, etc...

I know the economic situation sucks but, damn. What's up with the market? Are banks not giving out loans now or what?
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 11:03:04 PM EST
How much are you asking? Anything over $10K sells really slow since most folks will need a loan, and the rates on a loan for a used car are terrible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 12:30:19 AM EST
market is bad to sell ANYTHING right now..... 4 wheelers, sandrails are way down in price... harleys are way down to what they were a few years ago.. its really a buyers market fotr toys right now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 4:36:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2011 4:36:54 AM EST by TriggerFish]
Also the fear that gas "could" go to $4/gal. (and up) has really slowed already slow sales of all vehicles that get crappy mileage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:18:58 AM EST
It's the economy, stupid.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 6:44:40 AM EST
Its the economy and the fact that gas prices are still rising.

People are spending money, my buddy just sold his 97 Celica for ABOVE what he was asking because so many different people wanted it.

You need to have what the people want.

1. You are trying to sell a truck (business' and individuals who would use that truck are out of work and dont need the extra truck)
2. Gas is at $3.25 for unleaded regular and its not even summer.

If you had a little rice burner that ran well it would be a completely different story
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:33:25 AM EST
Most of us are struggling financially in one form or another. As a result, consumers are broken down into two basic groups: those who have the funds to make purchases and those who are still struggling to get by. One has only to look at the increase of all types of products for sale on Craigslist, Backpage, etc. to see that a lot of people are trying to sell off thier stuff. The odd thing is that, even when priced low, there seem to be fewer and fewer buyers.

The disparity between the rich and the poor is seeing an increasing gap that is going to continue to see an increase in those hurting from the economy. The only change in this will come when
the job situation improves not just in the amount of new jobs but the quality of those jobs.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:40:50 AM EST
We posted an 2001 base model Mustang on Craigslist and in the local paper and sold it in 3 days and had probably half a dozen offers and we priced it middle of the road between 2 KBB price categories it fit into, car was solid and reliable, just didn't fit our family anymore.

Selling trucks right now, toys and similar would be tough. Trucks typically don't get great mileage (gas price is rising) many of the jobs requiring trucks (construction, landscaping, Hvac etc.) are none existent at the moment, and trucks often are pricey when you get into 4X4s, quad cabs, and heavy duty type models, and if anything people need transportation, and they want it to be reliable, economical, and affordable, unfortunately trucks don't always fit all these parameters for people.

I saw a fair priced little disel pick-up from the 80s on craigslist and I called the guy, he said he sold it in 3 hours, so there are buyers out there, and $, but there are less of both for a lot of reasons.

Best of luck though man. I hope you are able to get a buyer and a fair price. 5K below comparable is a huge hit on your side, and that sucks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 2:13:39 PM EST
A lot of really good points in here. I'm trying to keep positive about the whole thing but the sheer lack of apparent interest in it (and other seller's trucks similar to it) really worries me.

The thing is, I don't really need to sell the truck right now, but I'd love to get out of (or at least significantly cut down on) my payments as quickly as possible because I'm looking to stop renting and get in to a small house or condo for the first time, but I can't even consider an undertaking like that without making some sacrifices, and letting the truck go is one of the biggest ones. The timing is certainly not ideal to be getting out from under a truck, but it certainly is the ideal to be getting in to a piece of property given the current housing market, which is why I'm more willing to take a bit of a hit on the truck to sell it now.

So, that's where I'm at. And thanks for the well wishes, it's much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 2:21:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2011 2:22:21 PM EST by victorgonzales]

Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
A lot of really good points in here. I'm trying to keep positive about the whole thing but the sheer lack of apparent interest in it (and other seller's trucks similar to it) really worries me.

The thing is, I don't really need to sell the truck right now, but I'd love to get out of (or at least significantly cut down on) my payments as quickly as possible because I'm looking to stop renting and get in to a small house or condo for the first time, but I can't even consider an undertaking like that without making some sacrifices, and letting the truck go is one of the biggest ones. The timing is certainly not ideal to be getting out from under a truck, but it certainly is the ideal to be getting in to a piece of property given the current housing market, which is why I'm more willing to take a bit of a hit on the truck to sell it now.

So, that's where I'm at. And thanks for the well wishes, it's much appreciated.

well you have at least a year (probably more) before the house prices go up and interest rates go up so don't stress too much. The fed probably wont raise rates until after the 2012 election because it will look bad for Obama.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:04:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2011 5:06:34 PM EST by 0uTkAsT]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
well you have at least a year (probably more) before the house prices go up and interest rates go up so don't stress too much. The fed probably wont raise rates until after the 2012 election because it will look bad for Obama.

Absolutely right, but even at that, a year or two isn't much time to start planning first-time home ownership. I'm 23 and besides limited stock investments and some bonds I really have no savings or other assets (besides firearms), so dropping ~$3,500/yr truck in payments opens up a lot more cash to put towards property. That's the logic behind starting with the whole process now. The faster the truck sells, the more impact it has down the road.

With that said, you can see why I'm not in "ZOMG GOTTA SELL NOW!!!!" panic mode about the whole thing, but I'd also like for the process to go a little faster and more smoothly than I've been experiencing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:19:37 AM EST
I HAVE A USED CAR LOT AND BUY TRUCKS . If you tell me what brand and model I might be a cash buyer . 602-528-3491
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 1:21:27 PM EST
Got your PM and replied.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 2:12:52 PM EST
PM SENT
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:25:05 PM EST
Got it, thanks for the info/leads.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:19:58 PM EST
show us your listing? Good pictures are key.

With gas prices going up like they have lately, I can imagine selling a truck right now will be slow.

I'm pretty much doom and gloom on the economy long term, but short term I think the economy is actually improving. I have seen restaurants busier now than anytime I can remember over the last 3 years.

If you have it priced too low, people might not bother to call because the lowest priced anything implies cr@p. Esp on craigslist where all the cheap vehicles seem to have reclaimed titles.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:12:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By GONIF:
I HAVE A USED CAR LOT AND BUY TRUCKS . If you tell me what brand and model I might be a cash buyer . 602-528-3491

Im going to be looking for a truck next year. arfcom discount? Also once I get good at paintless dent repair maybe I can undercut whoever you use right now . still building my tool collection. I also do paint work on the side. can't run much through the shop without getting shit about it but if it is small I can do it on site if it is worth my time and you have a big enough air compressor to feed a steady 30psi at high volume.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 11:27:59 AM EST
AUTOTRADER IS YOUR PROBLEM. Trader Publications in San Diego area always worked for me, but I may as well have burned my money in AZ. I think they have very poor circulation. It is hard to find what you are looking for on their website, even if you know it is there. Their rags are polluted with dealers and auction flippers and I think the public knows it too well.

Switch to Craigs. I have moved several cars there. Post it a couple weeks. If it doesn't move, remove the ad and post again in a month.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 2:30:08 PM EST
FYI ,PRICES ARE UP ON ALL VEHICLES RIGHT NOW . Tax refunds are in and there is a shortage of good used vehicles .If you can't get top dollar for your vehicle now ,you never will . Problem is ,used cars come from new car trades. New car sales are way down. New car dealers are allowing too much for your trade just to sell a new car to anyone that can QUALIFY for a new car loan. So when the new car dealer gets a trade he is keeping vehicles he would not keep in a normal market .What he dosn't keep to resell he wholesales to the used car dealers for more money than they are worth normally .Supply low ,demand high, = price too high on used cars . If the used car dealers want inventory ,they have to pay too much or do without inventory. Add to that a lot of folks now have gotten bad credit so they will pay too much just to get financed in a used car . The econemy sucks and the car biz is a big cluster fuck untill it gets better. The used car dealers are the Remora's of the industry and are dependant on the Shark ( new car dealers) for product . If I'm lying I'm dieing ,there it is in a nutshell. Suply and Demand 21st century style in America the broke.Title loans are wher the juice is now .
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 2:49:05 PM EST
I am sick of people wanting to charge well over blue book for there civics they think because they have a Honda its gold BTW i am looking for a 2.5l wrangler for my little brother or a cheap Cherokee 4X4 he just moved out here and got a job
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 11:35:09 PM EST
alot of people will also go to a dealer, because they think they can find some sort of miracle financing...... they dont know how to buy from a private person.

try craigslist.. I just refinanced my 2007 duramax for a lower rate, and they booked it a 37k, and I see them on lots around here for under 32.. so maybe you are still priced out of what the market is??
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:15:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2011 8:16:20 AM EST by 0uTkAsT]
Originally Posted By HDBob:
alot of people will also go to a dealer, because they think they can find some sort of miracle financing...... they dont know how to buy from a private person.

try craigslist.. I just refinanced my 2007 duramax for a lower rate, and they booked it a 37k, and I see them on lots around here for under 32.. so maybe you are still priced out of what the market is??

Nope, I'm priced below market on the truck. If you look through the other ads for similar trucks on AutoTrader/Craigslist, my price is significantly lower than ANY of them. Problem is, I'm the only private seller and I'm worried people don't know how to finance a vehicle if it's not going through a dealership and/or banks just aren't lending or the interest rates are scaring off potential buyers.

Here's a link to my ads:

AutoTrader

Craigslist
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:29:19 AM EST
KELLY BLUEBOOK IS SET UP WITH PRICES FOR , Auction fair ,Auction good, Wholesale Lending,and sugested Retail . Your used vehicle is worth what someone will pay for it at the time of sale .
A dealer must buy the vehicle at Wholesale Auction price to be able to make a profit. So Auction Good or Auction fair depending on the condition and mileage is the price that is the avridge price of all vehicles of that make and model sold at Auction. That is what Dealers want to pay. Now at this time of year and with the shortage used car Dealers are willing to pay Wholesale lending just to get inventory. New car dealers are willing to give too much on trades to sell the new vehicle ,and make money on the new car . Private sales are a whole differant deal .On a private sale there is no sales tax and no Warrentee ,you bought it ,it is now Your problem if it is in need of repair or if you can't get it to pass emissions. A dealer must by law have it emissioned B4 they sell it to you ,and they must give you the state 500 mile 15 day warrentee . The dealer is at a serious disadvantage over a private party sale .He has to follow the law or the state and pay all sales tax to the state and fed gov for profit if there is any or the MVD will go after his bond, the bonding company will than go after the dealer . The retail customer is going to get a clear title no matter what happens .This is not so on a private sale ,there is more risk of getting screwed with NO recorse on a private party sale .So on a private sale ,if you get the Wholesale lending price you are doing very well . Honda's and Toyota's are worth more because people are willing to pay more for them .Suzuki's are worth less because no one want's them . Resale value is what it is due to demand . That said a 2005 Chevy Silvarado LS or LT extended cab is worth $1500.00 more this year than last . Just plain crazy ,but In Obama land 2011 it is what it is . It ain't ALL GOOD by a longshot .
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:20:05 PM EST
Thanks everyone for all the help. After all the waiting the truck finally sold tonight for very close to my present asking price... The right buyer just happened to come along at the right time.

Thanks again. I love ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:33:06 AM EST
The right buyer just happened to come along at the right time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 4:42:33 PM EST
Good to hear it worked out ok for you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 5:39:00 PM EST
Thanks guys! Now I'm on the hunt for a new truck!

If anyone knows someone selling a Jeep or 4X4 pickup with a manual trans for ~ $13k let me know!
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 6:01:43 PM EST
Now I'm having trouble selling. I have had an extra vehicle sitting around for months and I finally got serious about selling it. I have had it on craigslist for a week now for 200 dollars less then the kelly blue book price and have had no luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:20:04 AM EST
Kelly blue book Price ? Auction fair, Auction Good ,Wholesale lending,Or Retail ? No one pays retail .
Originally Posted By Reservist:
Now I'm having trouble selling. I have had an extra vehicle sitting around for months and I finally got serious about selling it. I have had it on craigslist for a week now for 200 dollars less then the kelly blue book price and have had no luck.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:34:31 AM EST

Kelly blue book Price ? Auction fair, Auction Good ,Wholesale lending,Or Retail ? No one pays retail .

For the used, private party sale price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:30:12 AM EST
Good luck to ya. It takes patience.

On the bright side I have a couple leads on trucks to go look at after work today. Can't come soon enough, I hate driving my baby to work... Too many idiots who just don't care.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:57:59 AM EST
IN THE REAL KELLY BLUE BOOK BANKS AND DEALERS USE THERE IS NO PRIVATE PARTY SALE PRICE .

For the used, private party sale price.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:26:24 AM EST
I've noticed that a lot of dealers go off of TMV now rather than KBB.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:46:43 AM EST
MOST IF NOT ALL GO TO THE AUCTION GOOD PRICE,because that is what that vehicle has sold for at auction in thier area.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:38:21 AM EST
I just took a guy out on a test drive of the vehicle and he offered me 1300 for my 2800 dollar car.....This thing has been a bitch to sell. The good thing is we don't need extra money at all right now so turning down low balls hasn't been a problem.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:45:16 AM EST

Whats the TMV?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:19:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2011 10:20:05 AM EST by GONIF]
TO SELL NOT TO BUY ,CONDITION AND MILES ARE THE MAIN ISSUE.IT ALSO HAS TO BE SOMETHING THEY CAN RESELL .

Whats the TMV?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:38:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By Msokol13:
Its the economy and the fact that gas prices are still rising.

People are spending money, my buddy just sold his 97 Celica for ABOVE what he was asking because so many different people wanted it.

You need to have what the people want.

1. You are trying to sell a truck (business' and individuals who would use that truck are out of work and dont need the extra truck)
2. Gas is at $3.25 for unleaded regular and its not even summer.

If you had a little rice burner that ran well it would be a completely different story

Friend just solda Toyota Yaris (looked like a four door white egg) for $3k when it blue booked at around $1.5k.

People want cheap cars with good gas mileage.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:01:11 PM EST
I just let a couple test drive my car again and it drove perfectly, I offered it to them for 650 dollars less then KBB value, after I specifically walked them through the KBB on my laptop in front of them and the guy said it was a bad deal....

Guy: Whats the lowest you will go
Me: 2000
Guy: That's too much.
Me: That is 650 dollars cheaper then the kbb price
Guy: Well KBB is just a reference
Me:Yes I know that, thats why I offered you a price 650 dollars lower
Guy: Well the Air Condition could cost up to 350 dollars to fix
Me: Well you will have plenty of money to fix it because I'm giving you a 650 dollar discount right now.
Guy: Its still too much
Me: Ok well call me if you are interested. bye.
Top Top