Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 1:52:16 PM EDT
I went to Fort Dix this afternoon and it was the first time I was there under the new management. I didn't think it could be as bad as many of you have said it was, but after going there today, it really is that bad....

I took out my SAR 1, loaded a magazine and started shooting nice and slow. I decided the mag dump the last 5 rounds or so and IMMEDIATELY, I hear a loud voice on the PA telling me that there is no rapid fire allowed on the range. A short time later somebody approached me and explained the rule to me and gave me a handout with all of their rules. It was insane. The best part is a friend of mine was filming it on my digital camera and it's all on film. I'd love to post it someplace for all to see but I'm not sure where I can put it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
www.putfile.com/

ETA Can you scan a copy of of the flyer?

This is going to suck I bet
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Jackson, here I come
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I went to Fort Dix this afternoon and it was the first time I was there under the new management. I didn't think it could be as bad as many of you have said it was, but after going there today, it really is that bad....

I took out my SAR 1, loaded a magazine and started shooting nice and slow. I decided the mag dump the last 5 rounds or so and IMMEDIATELY, I hear a loud voice on the PA telling me that there is no rapid fire allowed on the range. A short time later somebody approached me and explained the rule to me and gave me a handout with all of their rules. It was insane. The best part is a friend of mine was filming it on my digital camera and it's all on film. I'd love to post it someplace for all to see but I'm not sure where I can put it.

Crap, its gettin' worse.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Jackson, here I come

Come on out my friend!!! I'm a CJRPC member for the last 18 years  Iwould be happy to show you around. IM me anytime you want to go out and shoot or just check the place out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey... Lugerman..... I think a few weeks ago you sent me a email/pm/ etc inviting me to go down to Jackson with you after I posted some grips about Fort Dix. Sorry I never replied back......
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem. Your welcome to join me anytime you want. Just IM me. I shoot just bout every Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
When we were there for the miniblast there was plenty of rapid-firing and no warnings...Damn, I can't believe I JUST spent $25 to join there, too...That $$$ coulda been better spent on joining the CJRPC...Err, I really do mean to join you sometime for shooting to see how I like it there, Lugerman...I just never seem to get around to it .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I was just reading through the rules that they handed me at the range and "rapid fire" is defined as less than 2 seconds between shots. However, the rules also state that in periods of high use you may only use the range for a maximum of 2 hours........
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The 2 hour max during busy times has been there as long as I've been shooting there.  As many times that I've been there and dumped mags down range I've never been yelled at (or spoken to).

However, the last time I was there I was inside talking to the management about steel targets and someone outside let off a 3 round burst and the person in the tower called them out on the PA.  The person came in a few minutes later, but I didn't get to hear the conversation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
maybe someone can tactfully represent AR15.com and write a tactful letter to the management regarding this issue...
they might be new management however they should consider that the members are increasingly becoming more unhappy with how its run there...
also waht is the big deal anyway regarding rapid firing
its been allowed there forever
I wo uldnt know how to go about doing this letter but maybe someone out there is much better at it than i would be.

I think maybe a petition also should be signed
I for sure would sign it regarding their not so fun rules that they are setting up...
I remember in business class
the customer is always right!!!

Any takers
Ive neard more complaints lately and i think its time something should be done
Hell they might be Dxxxcrats or anti gun people running the joint
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Bobby, let's get a crew of AR15 members down there.  I think we have a fair number and if we can get there for one of their meetings and fill the place up, we might be able to make a stink about it.

Either that or get us all banned.

eta: if the situation doesn't get fixed, Calverton here I come.  Dang, Helldoggie is gonna be laughing at this one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#12]
well im a month break so if you go within the next 4 weeks Im game to go to a meeting
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Bobby, let's get a crew of AR15 members down there.  I think we have a fair number and if we can get there for one of their meetings and fill the place up, we might be able to make a stink about it.

Either that or get us all banned.

eta: if the situation doesn't get fixed, Calverton here I come.  Dang, Helldoggie is gonna be laughing at this one.

I would rather leave that up to FMjunkie. I am worried, though, about the future of NJ Blasts at Range 14. Seems like some serious restrictions are in order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Does FM have an "IN" at the new republic of Ft Dix?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have emailed the Range office today requesting range rules or by-laws. Hope they respond. Due to the Holidays, I believe most of us really are not too concerned with R14 right now. There will be a time to deal with this later on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
BTH
Dont hold your breath
I emailed t hem a month or so ago regarding my lost ID card for R14
still no reply
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BTH
Dont hold your breath
I emailed t hem a month or so ago regarding my lost ID card for R14
still no reply

not a good sign
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm on holiday break back from college. I'd be up to add one warm body to an ARFCOM delegation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Apparently I'm not the only person who feels this way.  I got fed up with what Dix turned into so I didn't renew this year, Cherry Ridge is closer anyway.

Maybe they value their "one shot every 18 minute" hunter type of people more than us, that's fine with me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm still considering avenues here.  Not sure that pursuing any type of "action" with Dix MWR right now will be fruitful, but I'm talking with a contact or two that I have.  (politiking, masterful maneuvering kind of stuff )

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
where is cherry ridge
i want some info here on another alternative of Dix goes down
hell i love blowing off steam by ripping a mag downrange
but if its not allowed then its time to move on
i just dont have the cash for some gun clubs and being a student its not helping me any
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Cherry Ridge is in Vernon, Northern NJ. It's a few miles off Rt. 23.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
damn thats far im  near seaside
i would like another alternative
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
My first problem with Fort Dix was the distance, an hour and a half is just too long to drive just to get there, then shoot for 2 hours, than drive another hour and a half home.  The gas and tolls were a big pain too.

I always liked Fort Dix, I liked rapid firing when I felt like it, I liked shooting water bottles, wood, or even just the dirt (someone's gotta level the mounds made from previous targets).  None of this activity is dangerous or harmful.

When I was thinking about changing to Cherry Ridge to ease the pain of the Fort Dix ride, I was worried that I wouldn't like the lack of freedom, but now that Dix got worse it won't be much different.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#26]
is cherry ridge the same
no rapid firing?
maybe I might just have to bite the bullet and go to CJRP
I just wont eat for a month
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
is cherry ridge the same
no rapid firing?

No rapid fire (definition of rapid fire is range officer dependent)
Shoulder fired weapons only (no belt feds)
Usually its crowded on weekends at the 100 yard line
Rich V
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
is cherry ridge the same
no rapid firing?

Rich V

I heard the 200 yard line isn't too crowded, is that true?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
is cherry ridge the same
no rapid firing?

Rich V

I heard the 200 yard line isn't too crowded, is that true?

Yes, much better than the 100 yard range.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#30]
From the Rod & Gun Club newsletter (available online)...

ROD & GUN CLUB MONTHLY MEETINGS
Our monthly meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday of
each month at Range 14. The meetings start at 1930hrs.

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GUEST SPEAKERS
Currently there are no scheduled speakers for the
October-December meetings. Speakers may become
available and information will be posted at Range 14. If
you or anyone you know is interested in speaking at one
of our meetings, please contact Dave Bertagnoli,
Programmer, Outdoor Recreation @ (609) 562-2727 or by
e-mail at [email protected].

Unfortunately I couldn't find their rules online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top