Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:00:40 PM EDT
I will be in Artesia the entire week. Any suggestions? Places to hike, eat, decent hotels? I assume I should fly from Dallas to Roswell and drive south. Let me know it there is a better option. Maybe get a chance to catch up with some new folks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:44:27 AM EDT
My cousin lives down there. The only thing he seems to do when he's not working (and he works a lot) is drink.
I'll try to get ahold of him and see whats really up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:52:38 PM EDT
Thanks. I appreciate it. I can't even get the people where I will be working to email me back. Looks like I am going into a fun situation. And I'm solo on this one as well. No co-worker to help out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:57:01 PM EDT
Head West to the Lincoln National Forest. It's very scenic and a heck of a lot cooler than Artesia. Grab some grub in Cloudcroft.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:20:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yipykyah_mf:
Head West to the Lincoln National Forest. It's very scenic and a heck of a lot cooler than Artesia. Grab some grub in Cloudcroft.

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:09:50 PM EDT
What type of work?

Hope they treat you well down there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:06:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Friiguy:
What type of work?

I will be performing risk and assurance procedures related to SOX 404 risk assessment.....I know....Pretty boring, but it pays the bills.

Got word yesterday that I don't have to head out there until Monday night, so I will only have 4 nights in town now. Sounds like La Fonda is a good Mexican joint to grab some dinner and the Chinese joint at the hotel is supposed to be crap. Anyone else have other recommendations?????

Thought I could go to the lake and state park right there in Artesia and do some hiking/running, but it looks to not have to many trails or anything of much distance. Pretty sure I won't have time to make it out to the Lincoln National Forest as that looks like a pretty good trip over there after work.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:22:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pick713:
Originally Posted By Friiguy:
What type of work?

Got word yesterday that I don't have to head out there until Monday night, so I will only have 4 nights in town now. Sounds like La Fonda is a good Mexican joint to grab some dinner and the Chinese joint at the hotel is supposed to be crap. Anyone else have other recommendations?????

I see you are staying at the Worst Western. The HIX is a better place.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:39:30 AM EDT
Awesome. Had to make my hotel decision based on the online reviews as they were better for the western than the express. I Wish you had mentioned that In the first response. Oh well. I guess thats what makes interesting road trip stories.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:51:32 AM EDT
I hope you've got a rental car, and not your personal vehicle.

I've stayed at a bunch of $100/nite rathole hotels in NM.

Interesting stays? yes.

Pleasant? no

The last was a La Quinta in Farmington. There was a group of 10+ pot smoking kids staying there, and they decided to decorate the rental car with fast food, spit, urine and feces. Guys and girls participated. I had to drive to a car wash before my morning meeting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:43:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GAU5-A-A:

Interesting stays? yes.

Pleasant? no

The last was a La Quinta in Farmington. There was a group of 10+ pot smoking kids staying there, and they decided to decorate the rental car with fast food, spit, urine and feces. Guys and girls participated. I had to drive to a car wash before my morning meeting.

Just our local welcoming committee.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:32:52 PM EDT

Interesting stays? yes.

Pleasant? no

What is the back story?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:49:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vbfg135:

Interesting stays? yes.

Pleasant? no

What is the back story?

Just the local hoodlums having a good time.
They had two rooms next to mine, stole the TVs, broke up much of the furniture, and raised hell until 5am. I reported it to the front desk, several times, but the woman there refused to get involved. I think they targeted my rental car because it was the nicest one in the parking lot, next to their trashed 1980s beaters.

My company would book me a hotel in these places by always finding the lowest priced room, and I'd usually bring a sleeping bag and pillow because the beds were so nasty. I stayed in one room that had the doorknob broken off, and a non-working deadbolt, and got the usual "its the only room left" crap from the front desk.

Of course, the company general manager always stayed in nothing less than a 5-star hotel.

Top Top