Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/21/2008 12:13:54 AM EDT
Ok, I know how easy it is to spend someone else's money.... so do it!

By the sale of my boat, I'll be coming into about $3k I can afford to put towards firearms, especially with the upcoming election.

$500 will go to reloading components/ammo
$500 will go to a Glock 34 or CZ SP-01

So I'm left with $2k. I've never been at a point where the wasn't "A GUN" I had to have.

I have a few revolvers (.44 mags), a .32 beretta, Sig .40, a .308 bolt gun, LOTS AND LOTS of shotguns, an AR, a Savage .17, SKS, a few .22's including a very fine Anschutz.

Worst case (hah!) I'll spend a good hunk of it on upgrading optics for the rifles and stocking up on reloading supplies.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 4:45:04 AM EDT
Sam, listen to me and listen very carefully. You NEED a 1911 in your stable.

Nuff said. Now get to work.

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 4:48:10 AM EDT
I was just about to suggest a M1911 pistol and holster setup. Than reloading supplies and equipment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:12:05 AM EDT
I've always wanted one, but after shooting .45, I lost some interest. I'd love to have one as a safe queen though.

There are so many to choose from. What's the 'pecking order' so to speak? (Without going into custom ones).
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:14:47 AM EDT
I've always wanted one, but after shooting .45, I lost some interest. I'd love to have one as a safe queen though.

There are so many to choose from. What's the 'pecking order' so to speak? (Without going into custom ones).
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 10:38:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SamW:

I have two Springfield Armory 1911's. One came with some bells and whistles and the other is the WWII 1911A1 copy. They are both very fun to shoot even though I can't see the GI sights on the 1911A1 very well.

Everybody has their favorites. IMO if you want a great 1911 pistol and don't want to take out a second mortgage to pay for it, look at what Springfield Armory has to offer. There's always a butt-load of them at the DSM gun show. Come down next weekend and take a look. You know you're welcome to shoot mine any time you want

By the way, Springfield Armory uses the same frames and slides that Wilson Combat uses.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:06:07 AM EDT
i'd make a suggestion, but you probably know what i'd recommend...

i've got a precision affliction...

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:20:00 AM EDT
As far as precision, my money would be better put towards paying you or Strongarm to teach me proper technique.

Septic, go ahead and make it man. The worst that happens is I point and laugh at you I probably should upgrade the optics on my 700. However, if I buy the 70 LRS, I'll play some optics swap-eroo.

I was kind of hoping to break into 50BMG, but $2,500 just isn't enough. Especially when my collection is still lacking in other areas.

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 3:16:37 PM EDT
i'd buy a USO SN3 for the rifle you already have. shoot the living piss out of your rig. after you scorch that stick, spin on another and maybe even rechamber. restock, and do so serious long range damage.

just my $.02...

Link Posted: 6/22/2008 11:41:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By septic-tank13:
i'd buy a USO SN3 for the rifle you already have. shoot the living piss out of your rig. after you scorch that stick, spin on another and maybe even rechamber. restock, and do so serious long range damage.

just my $.02...

hard to argue with good sense.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 12:16:45 PM EDT
yeah I agree with the USO recomendation. It will last you forever
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 4:57:51 PM EDT
I'm well aware of the USO reputation and had the chance to look through one of Septic's while spotting for Yammer.

My only concern is that I shoot pistols and small bore rifles a lot more than my .308

100yd. paper punching just doesn't do it for me. I can shoot pistols and up to .223 out my back porch without worry. I like to clang steel at long yardages, but I only get the chance a few times a year. There are steel matches at the Ikes once a week and IDPA comp. once a month. I don't like pistols more (on the contrary) I just have more opportunities to use them.

In fact, the .308 has only seen action once since the shoot at Septic's place. It's also my hunting gun, and I'd hate to drag a pretty USO through the S. Iowa brush.

I don't know about you guys, but I see the price of firearms rising more rapidly than the price of optics.

Link Posted: 6/22/2008 5:26:50 PM EDT
if you don't think you'd use it, you better not buy it. as for optics not going up, that isn't the case. they certainly are. i don't think they're jumping faster than anything else, but the optics price increases have been steap and gradual.

as for dragging it through the bush... there are few scopes better suited to being drug through hell and back. those worthy of genuine torture are USO, Hensoldt, S&B, and Unertl. few others compare. the mark 4, NXS, and IOR are pretty distant compared the first group...

i was showing a guy in my shop one the USOs i picked up a couple weeks ago and he made a remark about it being kept away from children. i responded by picking it up and using it for a baseball bat on a roll of 3M tape all the way across the shop outside... i thought he was going to shit himself... you can't hurt them. in the rare instance you do, they'll be fixed quickly and free...

if you're really into doing your own work and you want a 1911 but not a 45, you might consider buying the parts from brownells to build a STIish 2011. i know a guy that'll sell you them on the cheap...

you could chamber it in 40 or whatever, have a high cap pistol, and a chambering of lesser whallop...

food for thought. granted it wouldn't have same slim grip the 1911 has, but the cool factor is intact and you can use many of the 1911 style parts to make it a one-of-a-kind unit.

brownells STI
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 5:57:28 PM EDT
I'd say get a fifty upper 'cause I got a bad feeling about the next election. Then again, I've already got a fifty and a couple of 1911s.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:58:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2008 7:58:49 PM EDT by SamW]
Great advice guys, that's why I posted this up. Something I never would've thought of.

Too many things swirling around in my head.

ETA: What's the consensus on Taurus 1911's?
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 7:50:15 AM EDT
USO is also having a group buy on some of their optics. See the Equipment Exchange>Group Buy section.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 12:40:33 PM EDT
Springfield Loaded 1911.

Get a decent AK?

Maybe build an AR in a different configuration than the one you already have?

Or get a 50
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 1:29:09 PM EDT
I could BUY a .50, but I couldn't afford to shoot it!

I think I'm going to at least buy a lower or two. I fear they may become pre-banx2. I suppose the AR could use some BUIS too. Damn.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 4:19:20 PM EDT

I could BUY a .50, but I couldn't afford to shoot it!

I think I'm going to at least buy a lower or two. I fear they may become pre-banx2. I suppose the AR could use some BUIS too. Damn.

i don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but all this talk of 50 banning and AR banning is one thing. to make the assumption the next ban, should that be the case, will be one of grandfathering and/or reciprocity is foolish. don't bank on being able to keep a 50, a dozen unbuilt lowers, etc.

the terms of a ban that doesn't exist isn't something you can bank on - food for thought. the proposed ban in illinois was very aggressive. don't forget which presidential candidate from illinois was two thumbs way up on that one...

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 10:02:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 10:25:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By booger-hooker:
I'm in the same boat kind of...I've got enough .50 projos to last me a couple lifetimes of shooting, enough virgin .50 BMG and .50 Spotter-Tracer brass to load/reload the projos, enough powder to load up a "healthy" amount of .50 BUT no primers or anything to shoot the .50 with once I did load it up. I just can't make up my mind if I want to put more money towards a .50 rifle/ammo setup or use that money towards other things that I want as well. But either way I can't keep spending money I didn't have (physically) like I did so I have to start prioritizing what I want compared to what I really need to have in my collection...or if I really need a collection and just get two of everything that I just need because one is none and two is one when it comes to long term redundancy of equipment.

Did I help SamW with my post? Probably not, but his post helped me decide that I need to spend more time deciding what I need to do with what I have and how to get what I want with the money I have available to spend. This might even spur my own topic about the subject.

i hear ya.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 2:25:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2008 2:26:09 PM EDT by SamW]
I was going to PM Septic, but I figured his reply might be beneficial for everyone. I was contemplating a 6.5G build and was wondering if you had a chance to take yours through its paces yet. I know the shoulder had you laid up for a long while though.

As per my reading, it seems as though it's a great cartridge, but has not proven IRL what it claims to do on paper, staying supersonic at 1,000yards. not to mention many people are now claiming to have difficulty with finnicky barrels and poor close-range accuracy.

How is the AA side-charging receiver? It looked slick in person.

Just tossing around the idea, but a CCS 28" barrel, AA billet receiver, magpul PRS, and good optic sound like a deadly combination for some long-range yoting. I was contemplating a varmint .223 build when I figured for the money, why not go 6.5G!

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 3:37:47 PM EDT
i ran five rounds through it with factory 123gr wolf ammo after sighting and got a 1.07" group CTC. i ran five factory 120BTs AA ammo and got a .44"

needless to say i was tickled. i didn't dig the brake i had, so i'm making some changes. also, FYI, the upper was an "american spirit arms" unit not an alexander arms unit. after talking to bill alexander i'd skip the 28" barrel for now. he's not too pleased with them, but is very happy with the 24" units he's got on his site now.

if you can wait for a week or two until i have some time, you can shoot mine and see for yourself whether you like it or not. frankly, i'm considering taking out to a friends place to pull a half mile and see what it does...

i happened across a nifty run of magpul leftovers that replace the rear PRS buttplate. they allow the use of the remington "limbsaver" used in 870 shotguns and it looks and fits perfectly giving me an additional 1" LOP over standard. this additional 1" plus the 1" extra you get from the PRS originally allowed me to mount the scope to the proper set back without a riser for a better looking scope mount. i dig the three rings for appearance, but they aren't necessary... not much recoil...

i snapped some pics for my library, so i'll post them.

i've got no reservation with the 6.5G at all, but i can't tell you for sure how it'll work at distance since i haven't shot it there yet.

based on what i've read about what i'm building it should be fine. better to know than guess though...

put my new IOR 4-14x50 atop the little sucker and with that sunshade, it has a neat look with scope ending at the midlength rail... the geissele trigger and grip all work perfectly to keep my fingers in the right spot for proper trigger pull. although it took nearly a year, it is nearly done and well worth it. i've already scuffed the paint pretty good in a couple of places, but that is part of it i guess...

good times.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 3:47:06 PM EDT
also, i forgot to mention... when choosing ANY chambering from an AR15 platform that exceeds 24" you really need to buy a stout/rigid upper. standard A3 uppers won't cut it. they certainly are a bad idea when using a cal with more punch than the 223/556.

bill alexander tells me he's seen many of the 28" barrels twist, warp, or otherwise distort standard uppers when used often with big and long heavy barrels. the ASA is a good choice and that is one of the reasons i went with it. it is stout and thick. besides, side chargers are cool...

time will tell, but it looks to be a nice little rig at this point. it'll be down at RWS's table for the gunshow if you want to finger it a bit...

Link Posted: 6/26/2008 4:33:56 PM EDT
Very nice.

Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:56:10 PM EDT
Next time we get together, I'm buying that man a beer. Exactly what I was looking for. The side charging handle is BA AND functional...can't beat it.

I was thinking of building the 6.5, no expense spared, and selling the 700 to fund a USO for the 6.5, just wanted to make sure the 6.5 would be reliable and accurate enough to serve as the 700's replacement. It sounds like it should be.

I'll have to see how funds run as far as optics (motor caught on fire tonight, not a good sign...lol)

I won't rush into anything though, as I'm still contemplating an AR-10 .260 build, but then the price goes up.

My plan is to run down to the show on Sunday so I can take the motorcycle down and ask strongarm very nicely to hold onto anything I might buy. Hopefully I can pick your brain for a bit then.

Thanks again all.

Sam
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 8:31:25 PM EDT

I won't rush into anything though, as I'm still contemplating an AR-10 .260 build, but then the price goes up.

that was my next suggestion. DPMS is selling out of the 260 as they are pushing the 6.5creedmore now. i'm of the personal opinion the DPMS sourced barrels are way too soft and mostly junk after a few thousand rounds, but at least you have a start. you might be able to buy it right as well.

if you can find a nice DPMS or Armalite in 243 or 308 used, you could shitcan those barrels and spin on a quality 260 barrel. you could run the new timney AR10 trigger and with a few mods you'd be HSLD...

the 6.5G holds some merit though. i can buy 20 rounds of 123scenars or 120BTs both loaded with lapua brass from AA for just over $20... if you run the longer barrel, at least 24", you could do some serious damage. i can get you an ASA upper for the right price too if it helps. i also have a friend that sells USO at cost + tax... they still cost out the ass though... 20% off isn't too bad considering...
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2008 8:16:23 AM EDT by SamW]
I know how difficult it is to relay information by typing. I'll come by and pick your brain at the show.

Link Posted: 6/28/2008 1:05:45 PM EDT
I'd buy a 4X4 SUV personally...................... or a .50 BMG!!!!

but probably just a suburban
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 1:56:24 PM EDT
Well I have a Yukon 4x4, so there goes that.

I've been looking into .50BMG AR uppers for the last few days, but the cost of ammo is breathtaking and reloading requires a special press, powder thrower, and case trimmer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 4:52:33 PM EDT
You could always give it to me!

Link Posted: 6/29/2008 5:42:34 PM EDT
my next obsession is something along the lines of the .408 CheyTac.

Currently the CheyTac is a little outa my price range.

I thought that the .50 was going to be my before I die rifle, but after reading about the CT, I have changed my mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 6:15:54 PM EDT
Or the barret .416

But for me, whether it's effective at 2,00 yards vs. 2,500 yards means very little. It's just hard to argue with an 800gr. bullet.

However the ability to disable a vehicle while it's still an entire section will mean a lot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 7:10:02 PM EDT
I have been reading some very skeptical statements about the barret claimed B.C.'s of the 416. I sure wish someone with the time and money would do a side by side comparison of the two.

Plus I like the way the C.T. looks over the Barret.

Either way I still can't afford one.

Maybe if I can get all of the Arfcom members to send me one powerball ticket a week, I could potentially test these two for you guys, or try to test them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:25:09 PM EDT
If I were in a more stable position in my life, I'd think about co-ownership or starting a corporation/trust for some of these toys.

Have experience with it in the world of boats, not guns.

I'm pretty set on a 50BMG now. The wait for the ALS upper is about a year, so I figure by then, if there's no ban, I'll have the means to support the habit, as I can afford the upper itself now and another toy or two.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/12/2008 8:25:03 PM EDT by SamW]
Well, it turns out I'm not that patient.

I went ahead and snagged some new toys.

- New CZ SP01 that I'm hoping to play with a little bit and use in the IDPA SSP class (currently overweight for the class by a c-hair)
- FN barreled action with a McMillan A3
- Springfield loaded 1911 that will hopefully soon be OD green frame/park. slide if I can bribe Septic into it

The rest will be put into reloading supplies and an Optic for the FN, mags, holsters, etc. for the new toys.

Hopefully I'll sell the 700 PSS (I don't need/want 2 .308's) and be replaced by a .243(possibly AI) or .260 for a long-range gun. The new .308 will fill the tactical/mid-weight hunting rig.

I say hopefully b/c the airport giftshop appears to have stolen/lost my bolt (and choke tubes, custom thinwalls for my Kreighoff). I flew home to VA and pulled a (what now appears to be) bonehead move. I pulled the bolt and choke tubes (don't fit in my case) and put them in my bag, which I had to carry on due to new dying airline baggage restrictions. I figured, it's not a firearm by ATF rules, and it's not a barrel (which can be used as a club I suppose). But TSA threw a fit and I was temp. detained by airport police until they released the items to me about 2 minutes before my plane was scheduled to LEAVE. I ran down to the gift shop to have the items mailed to me. The lady behind the ocunter was taking forever, and she asked, since I was running late, if I'd like to just leave her my name/address and pay her, and she'd box them up later.

Well, 10 days later and no items. I can't get a hold of the giftshop, as I get some manager's answering machine, and no return calls.

Might have to ask an ARFCOM'er to bust some skulls for me. It was stupid on my part, but I'm looking at a HUGE loss here.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:14:10 PM EDT

sounds bad... circumstances like you describe assure me the osama achieved his goal to a large degree. our freedoms have been seriously dampened and all with overwhelming support from our elected officials. in my honest opinion our airports are no safer as a result of some $8 an hour rent-a-cop feeling up my wife before we board... this is a bunch of BS from one end to the other...

in my humble opinion, i don't want to wonder if there is a police presence in the airport i want to SEE IT... much like the time i spent in germany, i'd appreciate seeing guys walking through the airport with MP5s... that would send a clear an concise message. not a long line where i have to take off my fucking shoes to board...

what a crock of shit...

sorry you had trouble. hope you get your goods...

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:44:37 PM EDT
Good news! Bolt and choke tubes are (supposedly) en route.

Look for the PSS up for sale when it gets here.

But I'm off for a few days to Atlantic City!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:35:22 AM EDT
sounds like good news.

contact me about your rig. i may have a buyer...
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:00:56 AM EDT
I'll add it to my list of things. You available later today?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:32:54 PM EDT

I'll add it to my list of things. You available later today?

currently.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:39:46 PM EDT

Good news! Bolt and choke tubes are (supposedly) en route.

Look for the PSS up for sale when it gets here.

But I'm off for a few days to Atlantic City!

Well, I'm now $500 richer!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 9:46:39 PM EDT by SamW]
Add a Howa build back into our list of things to talk about, Septic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:56:16 AM EDT

Add a Howa build back into our list of things to talk about, Septic.

say when...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:25:18 AM EDT
i guess i never thought much about it at the time, but i just finished an FN SPR A1 with the mac stock. i added three pillars, CDi bottom metal, three mags (two 5's and on 10) a DD Ross knob, a trigger job, bedded the bottom metal and skim bed the action...

i'd like to take it out and shoot it, but i may just sell it. don't need this many LR rigs. i guess i should have talked to you about it. i sell the whole package for under $2k... should have mentioned it earlier to you...

sorry.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top