Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2009 1:49:51 PM EDT
In three weeks, I'll be in Phoenix for 2 weeks of training. 4/14-4/23. Most evenings and most of the one weekend will be liesure time.
Training is close to the hotel so rental may not be authorized (gov classes) but I might have transport or be willing to rent a vehicle.
BTW ... I'll keep an open mind to a "shooting" activity, but I'm already (fondly) looking at 8 days of range time.

What would a native recommend as either "can't miss" or unique to the area ? I'm not particularly into big crowds or "scenes".
Interesting food ? Culture? Sights ? History ?
Thanks

Stay safe

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:04:22 PM EDT
Staying/working where in the Phx area? That will help folks make suggestions. The attractions are so spread out, that some kind of private transportation is pretty much a requirement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:11:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2009 3:13:49 PM EDT by freeride21a]
You gotta go see the grand canyon..that would make for a great weekend trip. It is only 230mi or so north.. so 3.5hr drive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:07:43 PM EDT
The Arizona Outdoor Expo is at Ben Avery shooting facility (largest shooting range in the US) next weekend.
http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/showcase.shtml
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:12:58 AM EDT
I'll get the hotel info Monday, and where the range time will be. That Expo would be great to go to but I won't be there yet.
April 14-23. Thanks. I'll post back on Monday.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:06:55 AM EDT
Luke Days is this weekend.
The show yesterday was cool and today should be even better.

Thunder in the Desert
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:08:12 AM EDT
Luke Days is this weekend.
The show yesterday was cool and today should be even better.

Thunder in the Desert

edit: I'm a dumbass and didn't read the damn post to find out that you just said you wouldn't be here
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:37:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sparkyCG:
What would a native recommend as either "can't miss" or unique to the area ? I'm not particularly into big crowds or "scenes".
Interesting food ? Culture? Sights ? History ?

For good food, I would have to recommend Richardson's, or their smaller location, Dick's Hideaway. It's probably some of the best New Mexican food you'll find in the city. When I get back to the US in a few days, that's where I'm heading.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:37:59 AM EDT
Training is @ FCI Phoenix ... the Federal Prison ... 37900 N. 45th Avenue
(I think that's about 20 miles North of the hotel.

Hotel is a Residence Inn in Peoria, AZ ... 8435 West Paradise Lane

Thanks and

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2009 5:32:15 PM EDT by skipsan]
Don't know that corner of town so will let an expert recommend local restraunts, etc.

Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Gerome, a couple of hours north of Phx––nice day trip with numerous places to stop and sightsee, eat, pee, etc. Scenery changes from desert to mountain––even the drive is nice.

The "Canyon"–– 4->5 hours north of Phx and probably a two-day trip with an overnight at the Canyon or Flag.. Nothing between Flagstaff and the Canyon, pretty boring couple of hours.
I've lived in Az 35 years and have never been there.

I think the baseball season starts in April, and there will undoubtedly be home, night games during your stay. The downtown area around the stadium has a lot of restruants, sports bars, etc.
Nice area to visit and safe. Baseball tickets should be no problem.

All of the gun activity I know about is on the other side of town, but it sounds like you're looking for a change anyway.

Enjoy your visit. The weather will be fantastic––guaranteed.

ETA: You can ride the brand new rapid transit system (street cars) from NW Central Phoenix down to the stadium area and back. Nice way to see the downtown Phx area and dodge the parking issue, which really isn't too bad around the stadium.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:37:55 PM EDT
the prison you're training at is only about 2 miles from my home - dang nice atv riding behind and north of the prison, couple of places to rent atv's in north phoenix if interested
town of cave creek isn't far and has some nice resteraunts/bars
lake pleasant and lake bartlett are close
pioneer village resteraunt has a nice sunday brunch - you can't miss it getting off the freeway to go to the prison
outlet mall 3 miles north of prison at anthem
some good two-stepping at Roadrunner bar in New River or Buffalo chip saloon in cave creek
Get you a nice tan at the Shangri La Ranch Resort , a nudist resort, only a dozen or so crow miles from the prison
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:24:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2009 9:26:32 PM EDT by ragedracer1977]

Originally Posted By sparkyCG:
Training is @ FCI Phoenix ... the Federal Prison ... 37900 N. 45th Avenue
(I think that's about 20 miles North of the hotel.

Hotel is a Residence Inn in Peoria, AZ ... 8435 West Paradise Lane

Thanks and

Stay safe
Spring Training is in town as well. Your hotel sounds like its located right next to the Peoria Sports Complex. Might catch a game?

Nope. Looks like its over before you get here. Just checked the schedule.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:28:24 PM EDT
As far as Phoenix goes, there isn't really much to see in Phoenix. It is really a boring town that is surrounded by suburbs. It has all the amenities of a large city, but nothing really historic or unique (besides the heat). Fortunately, there is a lot to see if you take day trips. You can run out east to Canyon lake, its great if you have a motorcycle (they have rentals).

Head north 100 miles to Prescott. It is a cool little town. Stay in or near the downtown area around Whiskey Row. You can also head up to Jerome while your up there, it's about 30 miles from Prescott. Jerome is an old mining town built on the side of the mountain. It is definitely worth seeing. Sedona is about 40 miles from Jerome, but I was definitely more fascinated with Jerome more so than Sedona.

Northeast of Phoenix is Payson and the Mongolian Rim. It is 2000' cliffs set in the pines with reservoir lakes. There isn't much up there, but there is excellent scenery.

East of Phoenix is Superior/Globe. I haven't been out there in awhile, but I used to love riding my motorcycle out that way. Not much out there, but there is some great scenery as well. There is the Boyce Thompson Arboretum right before you get into Superior. You can follow it (the US 60 highway) through the upper Salt River Canyon and take it up to Show Low. Then come back to Phoenix via the Mongolian Rim to Payson and back into Phoenix.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:06:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:11:22 PM EDT
Prescott is a cool liitle town, not too far north
If you are by any chance an airplane geek Tucson has a great museum. The Pima county air museum, also has the Davis-Monthan AFB boneyard and a Titan missle silo
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:43:09 AM EDT
If you like good food and beer head over the the yard house. Their website is currently down but there is one out near the new stadium. (mmm beer by the yard)
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:56:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ihon:
As far as Phoenix goes, there isn't really much to see in Phoenix. It is really a boring town that is surrounded by suburbs. It has all the amenities of a large city, but nothing really historic or unique (besides the heat). Fortunately, there is a lot to see if you take day trips. You can run out east to Canyon lake, its great if you have a motorcycle (they have rentals).

Head north 100 miles to Prescott. It is a cool little town. Stay in or near the downtown area around Whiskey Row. You can also head up to Jerome while your up there, it's about 30 miles from Prescott. Jerome is an old mining town built on the side of the mountain. It is definitely worth seeing. Sedona is about 40 miles from Jerome, but I was definitely more fascinated with Jerome more so than Sedona.

Northeast of Phoenix is Payson and the Mongolian Rim. It is 2000' cliffs set in the pines with reservoir lakes. There isn't much up there, but there is excellent scenery.

East of Phoenix is Superior/Globe. I haven't been out there in awhile, but I used to love riding my motorcycle out that way. Not much out there, but there is some great scenery as well. There is the Boyce Thompson Arboretum right before you get into Superior. You can follow it (the US 60 highway) through the upper Salt River Canyon and take it up to Show Low. Then come back to Phoenix via the Mongolian Rim to Payson and back into Phoenix.

It's MOGOLLON!!

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:55:23 PM EDT
What's funny is I was on the phone the while typing and was telling myself not to write Mongolian. Sure enough, I did. That will teach me to post and work at the same time. From now on, no work while I am on the internet. Don't tell my boss.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:50:20 PM EDT
Holy Crap I can't believe no one has mentioned West Gate, I'm at a Army Reserve unit here in PHX and every drill when me and my fellow soldiers get off we go to West Gate. Tons of famous bars The Yardhouse, Hells Half Acre, Saddle Ranch. Yeah if you like watching half naked drunk chicks with huge tits ride mechanical bulls check out Saddle Ranch. West gate is pretty much a Giant Fun Center you park outside of it and they have everything you want inside and its just visually stunning. Bars, restaurants, a movie theater, the stadium (which always has something going on), And Cabelas is right across the street they have one fo the biggest selection of firearms in AZ and a fully stocked GUN LIBRARY. Its about ten minutes away from peoria the cross roads for it are 83rd ave and glendale you cant miss it.

Go there get drunk and walk around.
Top Top