Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 4:16:16 AM EDT
I'm taking a trip to Memphis this weekend with the Wife, Mom, and Sis (yeah, I know ) so in order to keep me out of the outlet malls and stuff like that the whole time, please suggest somewhere interesting to go. Nothing too extreme as the estrogen crew will be in tow.

I was stationed in Memphis for about 8 months in 1994 but all I did was go to bars. That's not exactly what I'm looking to do this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Try not to get car jacked or mugged. Jullians downtown is cool. Bowling,movies,mall,food,pool,large video arcade. With the nasty weather this weekend, becarefull Memphis drivers suck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Try not to get car jacked or mugged. Jullians downtown is cool. Bowling,movies,mall,food,pool,large video arcade. With the nasty weather this weekend, becarefull Memphis drivers suck.

+1 on carjacking & crime in general.  For that matter, stay the heck away from Downtown, Beale St., south Memphis, southeast (Hickory Hill) Memphis, north Memphis, Frayser, Orange Mound, etc.  

If you're going to be with your favorite women, just drop them off at the Wolfchase Galleria off I40.  There is a Bass Pro Shops (take the Sycamore View exit off I40) about 5-7 minutes from Wolfchase for you to kill time.  Walk over to Tops BBQ if you get hungry (it's in the Bass Pro parking lot) & get you a jumbo sammich & onion rings.

For evening entertainment, since Platinum Plus (aka--"The Mount Moriah Performing Arts Center" or "The Ballet")will be out of the question on this trip, consider doing dinner @ Bosco's Squared (in Overton Square on Madison Ave.) & maybe a movie at Studio on the Square which is right behind Bosco's.  This area is in midtown but well lit & regularly patroled.  You shouldn't have any problems with crime or vagrants here...

Best of luck to you & remember to duck when you hear gunshots!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I know about the crime. While I was there in '94 a crack head tried to mug me. He failed to produce a weapon so I failed to produce my wallet. Still, it was the only time anyone has ever told me "Give me your money."

How 'bout the Guns and Ammo store? Is it worth going to?

Your right, there's no way I can fit in a trip to Platinum Plus. Maybe next time.

How about Mud Island or whatever it's called. Is it safe? Is it worth going to? I really don't remember anything about it.

It's getting harder to get excited about this trip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah, I know about the crime. While I was there in '94 a crack head tried to mug me. He failed to produce a weapon so I failed to produce my wallet. Still, it was the only time anyone has ever told me "Give me your money."

How 'bout the Guns and Ammo store? Is it worth going to?

Your right, there's no way I can fit in a trip to Platinum Plus. Maybe next time.

How about Mud Island or whatever it's called. Is it safe? Is it worth going to? I really don't remember anything about it.

It's getting harder to get excited about this trip.

Glad to hear you dodged harm with your "mugging" in '94.  Unfortunately, I think the crack heads have wised up as I doubt your crook will be unarmed today.

Guns & Ammo has the best selection of black rifles in town.  They're probably worth a visit.

Mud Island is interesting but I don't know if I'd make a special trip to check it out.  You shouldn't have problems with parking so that is at least a plus.

It's not that Memphis is necessarily a bad town.  It just has a lot of problems (similiar to that in other large metro areas) that are perpetrated by those of the "minority" population who have no fear of the law or the consequences of getting caught.  Right now Memphis is on track to break its record for murders commited in a particular year.  It seems that more & more victims of crimes of theft, robbery, carjacking, etc. aren't just losing their property but are now getting shot as a matter of procedure by the felon.  You & your group should have a fun, safe visit but you need to be aware that the Memphis that you remember from '94 is much more violent & dangerous today.

I see that you are in Alabama.  That is a state that is near & dear to my heart.  My wife & I both graduated from Tuscaloosa & are trying like hell to get out of Memphis & move to somewhere, anywhere in Alabama...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
There is always Graceland....

Bass Pro is good, I like the new Outdoor's Warehouse stores though..one in southaven at the new mall (outside mall though)

Guns and Ammo is pretty sweet though the sales staff can be rude at times...

sorry you can't make it to PP...its always a loss to miss that...

HEre is my post to a simliiar thread in GD

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=437724&page=1

<--Yes it says MS, however its a suburb of Memphis...

Been here 10 years and have never had a problem (probably just F-ed myself though by saying that) so I don't think its as bad as people say if you just use some common sense.

Beale St. is good... Silky's, 152, Alfreds, BB Kings, Rum Boogie are all good. This is all of course right next to the BBall stadium. If weather is good it ought to be good down there, thought is much better in the warm months.

There is always elvis land, worth a visit at least once i suppose...

The memphis zoo is nice if the weather is good.

Pink Palace museum isn't bad.

Fino's Italian is great..can't beat it for the price

Bosco's Squared on Madison is good, good food and a microbrewery.

Rendevous BBQ is the bomb (make sure you get the ribs, its almost worth a trip to memphis just for that)

Capricio's at the Peabody has dayum good steaks and is right up the Rd from the forum...

Folks folly is out east..damn good steaks..

Theres a new mexican joint on union next to Huey's that is damn good (Rio Loco)

Hueys @ union and third...good place for a burger and a beer, great fries too.

There are quite a few more places...I work downtown so we've tried them all at this point.

IM me if you want and i'll see if I can come up with more stuff.

What part of town are you staying in?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Germantown
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the weather forecast.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
#1 Bring a gun & keep it on you

#2 Bring extra ammo & keep it on you

#3 Stay in condition orange

If you like Italian food, Amerigo's is good stuff!

It's worth a trip to G&A, just don't expect to find any deals.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Stay away from any street with a number (Second St, Third Street, etc), named after a President, or named after a state.  That is the first rule of Memphis locations.  The second rule is don't be out after dark in any part of Memphis inside the I-240 loop except the east end of Poplar.  

Remember the 2 rules of Memphis driving:
1) Don't let anyone intimidate you with their automobile
2) Always intimidate with YOUR automobile
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Check the weather forecast.

You know, you can't tell some folks a damn thing.

We ignored the weather reports and went anyway (sleat can't be that bad, right?) We were sleated in all day Saturday with the exception of slipping out for lunch. We did eat at PF Changs but we could have eaten there in Birmingham or elsewhere.

Didn't see any sights or do anything special. But we were able to hang out with my sister who just moved up there, so it wasn't a total loss.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
The best  thing to do in Memphis?

Leave Memphis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top