Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 4:59:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
On Memorial Day there is usually a big machine gun shoot in Anderson, a town about 300 miles north of Anchorage.  I don't know if it's on this year.

I don't see anything on the website

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
White Spot Cafe: halibut sandwich or halibut plate

If it is sunny: Snow Goose deck; beer and appetizers

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything to do next week?  I'll be up for an environmental compliance course Mon-Thurs.  I'll be staying downtown, but will have a rental car.  Is the Wiggy's store any good?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On Memorial Day there is usually a big machine gun shoot in Anderson, a town about 300 miles north of Anchorage.  I don't know if it's on this year.

View Quote

I don't see anything on the website

May 24-25

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything to do next week?  I'll be up for an environmental compliance course Mon-Thurs.  I'll be staying downtown, but will have a rental car.  Is the Wiggy's store any good?
View Quote

The Wiggy's store is small. Don't go expecting a Cabelas.  I've spent plenty there over the years. Mark (owner) is a great guy and knows his stuff. That being said, it's specific to wanting sleeping bags, boots, a small run of camping goods and fleshing salts for hunting.  I think the store is about 20'x50' total.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Portage Glacier

Byron Glacier

Wildlife Conservation Center

I've taken my family to see the above attractions....all about 45 minutes to an hour south of Anchorage.  You can knock them all out in a day trip if he makes an aggressive plan, otherwise I'd recommend spreading them out over a two day period.  These are easy and fun touristy things to do that don't require four wheel drive or an elephant gun to enjoy safely.  And the scenery at each location is indescribable.  The mountains surrounding Anchorage and Turnagain Arm are gorgeous.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to add Potter's Marsh.  This is a wildlife viewing area right on the southern outskirts of Anchorage (very quick drive).  It is a great place to see salmon running as well as birds of all types.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Food:  Windbreak Cafe in Wasilla, Pizza Man in Eagle River, The restraunt in the Capt Cook is good, or if he's into sports go to the Crossbar and as a + its owned in part by the lead singer of 36crazyfists.

Outdoor stuff offhand would be the glaciers as listed. McHugh Creek trail is an outstanding and not overly difficult hike.  If he's not opposed to driving he should go to Girdwood. Double Musky Inn has what I would consider to be one of the best steaks Ive ever had in my life. Lougle it, plus the drive is nothing but scenery and there are a lot of places to stop along the way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Stop by Motoquest. Rent a KLR650.
See the state, North or South, cant go wrong.

http://www.motoquest.com/motorcycle-rental/anchorage-alaska-motorcycle-rentals-1http:// http://www.motoquest.com/motorcycle-rental/anchorage-alaska-motorcycle-rentals-1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top