Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 6:43:43 PM EDT
The neighbors dog just killed chicken number five in my front yard while my old lady and friend and i were standing there saying goodbye,  i called the sheriff and reported it "again"  and was reminded "again" by the sheriff that i am within my rights to shoot the animal, what would you guys do?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Send them a bill for the chicken.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried dialoge with this divorced mother repeatedly even said if she went and bought invisible fence i would put it up for her, her response wasfor me to lock up my chickens and they wouldn't be killed and when i said that the sheriff said i was within my rights to shoot the dog she said guns don't belong in the hands of the public! Which is when i cut off all contact with her. Just don't know what to do!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot the dog.  I have shot a dog that I took in for killing neighbors chickens.  You have a GREAT sheriff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
shoot the dog and send the owner a bill for the dead chickens and the bullet used to kill the dog
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Take her to small claims court for the cost of the chickens.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have an animal control officer where you live? In many counties, once a dog kills a domestic animal, the owner has to have a huge amount of insurance and a liability bond.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
What county are you in coyotesnyper

Brent
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
gun+shovel+6 pack= problem solved
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
i don't know about wa, but here you can "detain" the animal and charge a fair market value fee  for the owner to get it back.  i've heard of people doing that with horses eating their gardens and trees.  the dog probably isn't worth too much, but if she has to pay a few times it might work.   -- or you'll have a new dog.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Kill it, call her and ask her if she wants it back or if you should bury it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
What ever you do....Don't hide the fact you shot it.

MT
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]
RCW 16.08.010
Liability for injury to stock by dogs.
The owner or keeper of any dog shall be liable to the owner of any animal killed or injured by such dog for the amount of damages sustained and costs of collection, to be recovered in a civil action.

RCW 16.08.020
Dogs injuring stock may be killed.
It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.

RCW 16.08.030
Marauding dog -- Duty of owner to kill.
It shall be the duty of any person owning or keeping any dog or dogs which shall be found killing any domestic animal to kill such dog or dogs within forty-eight hours after being notified of that fact, and any person failing or neglecting to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and it shall be the duty of the sheriff or any deputy sheriff to kill any dog found running at large (after the first day of August of any year and before the first day of March in the following year) without a metal identification tag.

My cousin had neighbors rotty kill 15 laying hens. The dog was stupid enough to hang around and bury them. He was still on his place when he got home he shot the dog on site. The owner was pissed off that he had shot his dog, but shut his whinny ass up when he was told had to pay $5.00 a bird.

Shoot the damn dog and bill the owner.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

RCW 16.08.030
It shall be the duty of any person owning or keeping any dog or dogs which shall be found killing any domestic animal to kill such dog or dogs within forty-eight hours after being notified of that fact, and any person failing or neglecting to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and it shall be the duty of the sheriff or any deputy sheriff to kill any dog found running at large (after the first day of August of any year and before the first day of March in the following year) without a metal identification tag.

see they are not JBTs they are just doing their job shooting your dog.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

RCW 16.08.030

see they are not JBTs they are just doing their job shooting your dog.....

You beat me to it!

I had to do a double take when I was reading that part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
shoot the dog and send the owner a bill for the dead chickens and the bullet used to kill the dog

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Put one right through that dog's skull, throw the carcass on the neighbor's porch and send a bill.  There isn't much that will piss me off quicker than a roamin dog killing chickens.  I lost a show-winning trio of largefowl Black Cochins on Saturday due to a neighbor's Lab...fed it 5 rounds from my K31 as it ran away and dumped the corpse right in the middle of said neighbor's driveway with a bill for $150 attached.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Put one right through that dog's skull, throw the carcass on the neighbor's porch and send a bill.  There isn't much that will piss me off quicker than a roamin dog killing chickens.  I lost a show-winning trio of largefowl Black Cochins on Saturday due to a neighbor's Lab...fed it 5 rounds from my K31 as it ran away and dumped the corpse right in the middle of said neighbor's driveway with a bill for $150 attached.  

Keep us posted on the forthcoming events!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and it shall be the duty of the sheriff or any deputy sheriff

"Duty" has a legal definition and in this case it ain't a good one. Anyone know why only the August to March time span?

They cant let them shoot out dogs ALL year long?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
fed it 5 rounds from my K31 as it ran away and dumped the corpse right in the middle of said neighbor's driveway with a bill for $150 attached.  

You better tack on $5.00 for ammo.....

That damn GP-11 is spendy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top