Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 5:19:02 PM EDT
Car registration to prove residence? Handgun safety card (aren't military excempt?)

what other kind of hoops?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 5:54:39 PM EDT by scrum]
Where are you in CA? Depending on where I can recommend a reputable and cheap FFL to guide you in person.

The handgun safety thing is required - even if you have a hunters cert or mil service (for personal weapons, so far as I know). It's cheap and if I remember right a 10 question multiple choice test that my dog could pass on the spot.

The only real restriction is that the handgun has to come from the CA DOJ approved list. Proof of residence is easy - current DL, utility bills. 10 day waiting period. Straight forward.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:59:09 PM EDT
I have a question to add if you don't mind..

am I screwed if I don't have any of the bills.. registrations.. etc.. ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:04:36 PM EDT

I have a question to add if you don't mind..

am I screwed if I don't have any of the bills.. registrations.. etc.. ?

I'm not a lawyer, but if you bought all your handguns legally, they are registered, and they have your information.
Unless you bought a stolen handgun, you need nothing, the burden of proof is on the Government.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:46:38 PM EDT
The green card "mil ID" will exempt you from the HSC or BFSC or whatever its called now. Unless they recently changed the rules again. My friend bought a HK earlier this year and all he used was his mil ID to exempt him. Also his dad is sherrifs department and did not need a HSC.

You must show proof of residence and a valid ID when you purchase.

Proof of residence includes: vehicle registration, lease/deed to property, or any connected service bill (cable, gas, water etc...) There was a rule change to where vehicle registration needs to be within 3 months but I dont know when that goes into effect or if it is enforced.

If you live with family/friends rent free you need a notarized letter from the land owner saying as such.

When you buy the handgun its almost the same as a regular long arm purchase except they need the proof of residence and HSC or equivalent.

It is registered when you submit your proof of residence since a copy of that is kept and the info sent to the CA doj. The regular DROS record is supposed to be purged from the governments system after 24hrs but the dealer keeps his copy of the paperwork.
Top Top