Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 5:21:43 PM EDT
Go ahead and whack me if this isn't the appropriate place to post this question, but Hometown seems to be a catch-all forum.  Have noticed there is at least ONE member here that is employed by the almighty B____g,  What is the secret to getting hired there??  I have 20 years of avionics experience, 4 years modding the systems in KC-135s, Bachelor's degree in Aviation Administration and an MBA.  I have applied online for a variety of positions, but can't even get the time of day!!
Any insight members' might offer would be appreciated.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Apply IN PERSON?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go ahead and whack me if this isn't the appropriate place to post this question, but Hometown seems to be a catch-all forum.  Have noticed there is at least ONE member here that is employed by the almighty B____g,  What is the secret to getting hired there??  I have 20 years of avionics experience, 4 years modding the systems in KC-135s, Bachelor's degree in Aviation Administration and an MBA.  I have applied online for a variety of positions, but can't even get the time of day!!

You're WAAAAAAy over qualified for them.

Practice up on your napping during the day & your ping pong skills and then you'll have one foot in the door.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you could apply for a job in the HR dept. That is one area of Boeing that is growing!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We not allowed to say Boeing in here?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I thought it was known as the " Lazy B"...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What? It's not like he said Marpat....ooops!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to start off at Goodrich in Everett.
Work there 6 months, then McBoeing will have the head hunters out looking for you.

The you'll work at McBoeing making good money for a couple years and then one of two things will happen:

The bottom will fall out of the new aircraft market and you'll be laid off or else the union will call a strike and you'll be out of work for 6 months, and when you go back to work you'll be making less, working more, and paying more for medical.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What? It's not like he said Marpat....ooops!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Screw Boeing.

Go to this website  www.donhr.navy.mil/ and apply for a job at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.  They are hireing allot of people right now due to a large percentage of the work force retireing in the next 5 to 10 years.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Screw Boeing.

Go to this website  www.donhr.navy.mil/ and apply for a job at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.  They are hireing allot of people right now due to a large percentage of the work force retireing in the next 5 to 10 years.

Chris

If you apply at PSNS, see StrkAliteN's advice above. Yardbirds...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe you could apply for a job in the HR dept. That is one area of Boeing that is growing!hr

From what I've read, RedDawg6, you need your own branch office of HR....J/K.
Thanks everyone else for your input and words of wisdom....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The Lazy B is notorious for hiring in one door and laying off out the other.

When I worked on the flight line in '89 at the Everett plant. I had a few of my jobs ( actual electrical work on a 747-400 series aircraft ) signed off on by an inspector whom just started recently. i got to talking w/ her ........ get this:

She had ZERO aircraft knowledge period. Her experience was from being a chicken egg inspector prior to The Lazy B hiring her off the street at a Grade 11 pay scale. I kid you not.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, got a call from the Lazy B this morning to come take the Assessment test on this Saturday.  It is for a Assembler Inst Elec Syst B position.  This is the one where you take the test, and then depending on how you score, there is an additional 80 hours of unpaid training involved.  Anyone have any gouge on the assessment test?  I'm sure most of it is stuff I am already familiar with, but wouldn't want too many surprises!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations. The assessment test is probably no big deal, especially if they provide 2 weeks of training for the job that you will actually be expected to perform. Seriously, it's not like hanging wire bundles in planes is rocket science or anything. They likely use the test to gauge your level of overall mechanical inclination, aptitude, ability to read blueprints, etc.

Despite the moaners and bitchers above, Boeing is still a decent place to work. The money doesn't go quite as far as it used to in this area, but it's still a comfortable living. The benefits are pretty good as well. If you aren't aware, the commercial aircraft biz is cyclical, so Boeing does lay off periodically, like every 8-10 years or so. When I worked there, all the older guys said to plan on being laid off probably once. But then my wife has worked there for 20 years now and has never even come close to being laid off. And Boeing is facing the same situation as many other companies: an aging workforce with a considerable number of folks looking at retirement in the not too distant future. They haven't hired off the street much recently, so getting your foot in the door now might mean being able to avoid the next round of layoffs in another 6-8 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top