Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 10:42:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking it must be an AR-15. Does anybody dare try out a .308? Would it be too grueling?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:55:17 PM EDT
Go for it dude! Be the man. If I could I would carry an M-14 over the M-4 any day. Well, almost any day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:41:42 AM EDT
you COULD bring both. I've read on some of the AAR how some guys, due to weight, start to strip their AR carbines of their 'unnecessary' accessories. Try day 1 with the M1A, have at it. If it's too heavy, switch. I used my midlength AR, with medium contour barrel, with 9" DD rail, 6P on a rail, EOTech, and forward grip. I was concerned about weight, and brought along a spare A1 profile 16" A1 upper. the middy did fine.

Of the rifle shooters, there were 5 ARs, 1 M16, and 1 AUG. Post this in the Tactics and Training fourm for more results.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:13:11 AM EDT
How'd the AUG fare Chiz? Aside from it's unconventional looks, was it reliable, accurate, easily deployable?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:03:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Vegas-SMG:
How'd the AUG fare Chiz? Aside from it's unconventional looks, was it reliable, accurate, easily deployable?

I can't remember the .gov branch he was from, but I remember it having some feeding problems at one point or two. The guy couldn't participate in left handed shooting with it (something PFC really stresses) because the ejection port location. Our distances were pretty close (under 15 yards) so it was hard to tell its accuracy. There is a definite skill set that needs to be learned for mag changes
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:15:41 PM EDT
Thanks Chiz! Mag changes would certainly be a skill that needs a lot of practice with the AUG. It doesn't appear to be an easy thing to accomplish with any sort of speed, especially in a high stress environment. I know that U.S. Customs uses the AUG as a standard duty weapon and possibly a couple of other U.S. agencies. You can easily configure the AUG for either left or right hand ejection with a simple bolt swap and removal and switching the plastic ejection cover on the stock. Sorry about the hi-jack, but I just purchased one this week and was curious about your first hand observations.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:12:53 PM EDT
When I took Frontsight Practical Rifle, there were two guys shooting bolt action .308s (Rugers). Everyone else was shooting an AR.
I am not man enough to shoot something like an M1 or an M1A in a class like that. I get tired with an AR. But, YMMV.
When I took Gunsite Basic Carbine, two guys in my class were using Styer AUGs. Both had problems at one point but worked through the problem and finished the class. I don't remember what happened now: this was several years ago. In that class, everyone else was also shooting an AR. When I took Gunsite Advanced Carbine, everyone was shooting an AR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:21:09 AM EDT
I have taken the Front Sight Rifle class 3 times now (first time 4 Day class left handed, second time 4 day right handed, third time 2 Day class running a new rifle though it’s paces, and try to relearn iron sights). All times with an Ar, which is the most common rifle there. I have seen M1, M1A, M14, mini 14, Styer Scouts, HK, Blauser (sp?), Yugo M44, SKS, and Ak, and other bolt action rifles.

You will not have too many hikes back to the 200 yard line, and only one back to the 400+ yard line. The 4 day class has a couple of simulators runs in it, and a night shoot on day 3 if I remember correctly.

The Range Masters (Scott Horner, & Shanon Long) know their stuff, and run a tight range.

If you have any more questions feel free to IM me.

Make it a great day
Top Top