Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 3:18:14 PM EDT
I saw an SBR barrel for sale and was wondering if it is legal to buy just the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
For barrels and all parts other than receivers, sliencers, G. launcher  and high-cap mags, it is perfectly legal to buy, posess and offer to sell.

As long as your firearm is compliant with SB23 and NFA rules.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For barrels and all parts other than receivers, sliencers, G. launcher  and high-cap mags, it is perfectly legal to buy, posess and offer to sell.

As long as your firearm is compliant with SB23 and NFA rules.

Legal to buy the barrel, but probably not put on your gun. For the most part 16" is as short as you can "legally" shoot with in CA unless you know somebody.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw an SBR barrel for sale and was wondering if it is legal to buy just the barrel.

yes. but don't even have it in the same zip as a  lower. from what i understand it doesn't need to be installed/assembled to be a class III violation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree with the sbr's are not cool enought to go to the penn for.
If you must extend your effective range there are a few match rounds with gaping hollowpoints that still pack a punch at slightly lower velocities/extended ranges.  60 gr. TAP comes to mind.

Winchester powerpoints are good too, but I never got match grade accuracy out of them.

So if you may need your 16" barrel out to 300 yards, you do have options.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always been under the impression that SBR's are only really good when you intend to use a sound suppressor with them. That said, I've always wondered how those Bushmaster CAR barrels with the 5.5 flash suppressor shoot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you must extend your effective range there are a few match rounds with gaping hollowpoints that still pack a punch at slightly lower velocities/extended ranges.  60 gr. TAP comes to mind.

Winchester powerpoints are good too, but I never got match grade accuracy out of them.

plenty of ammo out there for 10.5" guns to make them lethal for use at civilian/self defense distances. good luck trying to justifying self defense when you shoot someone at 500 meters. i'm assuming we're talking civilian applications here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've always been under the impression that SBR's are only really good when you intend to use a sound suppressor with them. That said, I've always wondered how those Bushmaster CAR barrels with the 5.5 flash suppressor shoot.

I have a Bushmaster 11.5 + 5.5 barrel, and it is effin' loud. Maybe I'll just pay the $200 tax stamp and get rid of the 5.5 part
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top