Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 4:16:58 PM EST
I have an SA-85 on the Exchange Board( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=344210) and have several CA buyers interested in buying. I'm ignorant as to CA assault rifle importation buy/sell laws. I have been told that I can sell to, and ship to, a CA buyer from KY as long as the pistol grip is removed. Can someone confirm this as being legal?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:32:16 PM EST

That gun isn't listed by name as an assault weapon, so you have to make sure it doesn't have the AW characteristics, basically it can't have a pistol grip, thrumbhole stock, folding/collapsible stock, grenade launcher, or flash suppressor.

If it has a pistol grip, unscrew the pistol grip, and don't send it with the rifle, and you should be ok.

Also, no mags larger than 10 rounds, so probably be best to ship it without any.

Check at the top of this forum, and the complete list of banned weapons and AW features are in the California Firearms and Weapons Primer.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:10:41 AM EST
You can ship the pistol grip and mags >10 rds disassembled to the buyer as parts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:23:39 AM EST
If you ship the rifle "capable of accepting a detachable magazine" (meaning no fixed mag attached)...

- send the rifle WITHOUT pistol grip and/or folding/thumbhole stock and/or flash hider attached;
- send these items SEPARATELY from the rifle/receiver itself;
- maybe for good measure send the gas piston with the other parts too.
- DO NOT send any hicap mags, assembled or unassembled (it's just too much bait all at once).

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Top Top