Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 6:19:34 PM EDT
I might be moving to that part of Texas, from North Carolina, and was wondering what its like.  

I'm guessing its a pretty good size city, big wide open spaces around it?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is one tree in lubbock.  My sister's first husband got a job there after college and after visiting the city with him, she told him to have a nice time but she was not going.  She was use to the hill country around Austin.
I can't say for myself, never been there.

Yes, they divorced and he is still there.

Anyway all of Texas is beautiful, depends on what you like.

Welcome
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I might be moving to that part of Texas, from North Carolina, and was wondering what its like.  

I'm guessing its a pretty good size city, big wide open spaces around it?  

Do you like tumbleweeds?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you like the smell of cow shit blowing into town?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you like the smell of cow shit blowing into town?

that's only when the wind comes in from the east.  

i'll continue with the "do you like..."

do you like the occasional sandstorm?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the land of tall women and virgin pine....minus the pine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I love west texas....maybe because I grew up there.

I lived in Midland
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Very flat.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like Mac Davis was right.  Happiness is Lubbock Texas in your rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#9]
But if you listen to that entire song at the end happiness is Lubbock, Texas getting nearer and nearer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#10]
You can watch your dog run away for 3 days.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Those West Texans are some of the nicest people on earth.  Lubbock is a college town so there is a large delegation of pretty co-eds.  All the culture and fun stuff of a college town but in a rural setting.

However, if you don't like wind 365 days a year, stay away.  It's windy.  The only question is how fast.

BTW, if you see a tree growing on the South Plains, it's because someone put it there.  God didn't mean there to be trees on the Llano Estacado.  However, He is tollerant God and lets some of the trees stick around for a while.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can watch your dog run away for 3 days.

what dog?  the one that died looking for a tree?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Lubbock takes some getting use to, its dry (little humidity), the wind is always blowing and the dirt is more sand like than soil.  Watch out for the occasional dust storm.  But I grew to love it, I spent 3 1/2 years there while going to Texas Tech and was sad to leave...or was I just going to miss all the women??  Anyway its a good place to do some long, long range shooting, since in town you can see your next 20 stoplights ahead.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Lubbock's too damned cold though
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Hot summers, cold winters, windy all  the time, great people, laid back college town, good medical community, no state income tax, lots of fried food...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
And we finally got a HOOTERS.  WOOHOO!!!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I recently got accepted to Tech and will be going there next year.  I've run a google search for Lubbock ranges and found Patriot and a couple others.  Any of ya'll know of any other ranges?  Also, does Tech have a gun club of any type?  I ran a google search on that as well and didn't come up with anything except a Ducks Unlimited chapter.  Mabye the Agg department has something?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#19]
there should be a nice range called "rustic range" towards slaton, east of lubbock. they had pistol, rifle, skeet, and silhouette.  very nice!

Quoted:
I recently got accepted to Tech and will be going there next year.  I've run a google search for Lubbock ranges and found Patriot and a couple others.  Any of ya'll know of any other ranges?  Also, does Tech have a gun club of any type?  I ran a google search on that as well and didn't come up with anything except a Ducks Unlimited chapter.  Mabye the Agg department has something?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
there should be a nice range called "rustic range" towards slaton, east of lubbock. they had pistol, rifle, skeet, and silhouette.  very nice!

Quoted:

How much they charge?  Will definately be a po' college student.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Not once has anyone mentioned that you must go to the 'strip' to buy beer.  You can't buy beer in town.  You have to go outside the city limits to buy beer.  Is that still the law?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep. Still dry. Just don't get lost in the Tahoka Traffic circie... Is it still there??? fullclip
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yep. Still dry. Just don't get lost in the Tahoka Traffic circie... Is it still there??? fullclip

Thanks for bringing that up.  Bad memories, bad memories.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Still dry, but the traffic circle is long gone. You sure didn't want to get trapped on the inside lane of that sucker!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it still a dry city?  I've only been there once, about 8 years ago, and we had to leave the city to get beer.

ETA

D'oh!  Read the whole thread before posting next time, genius.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top