Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 11:57:51 PM EDT
today i was cleaning my hand gun and it occured to me that Hoppies #9 is not the only cleaning agent out ther for my gun. and i was just kind of wondering what everyone else uses to clean there beautiful fire arms with?
Scooter
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
fp-10, good sh*t !!!

meat
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
easy-off oven cleaner and dremel wirebursh attachment.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
50/50 mix of Kroil and Shooter's Choice

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Brake Parts Cleaner

Gotta lube it up after that though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
clp
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Usually, I just run 20 patches or so down the barrel using Shooter's Choice Copper Solvent  on a few of them. My beloved HBAR, though accurate, isn't chrome lined. It takes a while to clean with most anything else. After 50 patches using Hoppes, it still isn't as clean as 10 patches using the Shooter's Choice. YMMV.

Now and then, I blow Breakfree's Powder Blast Gun Cleaner on the upper, bolt, etc and lube everything up with CLP.  It works as well as Gun Scrubber, but it doesn't turn the receiver as white, so it's much easier to turn it black again (plus, it's like 5 bucks a can at Wal-Mart). Once in a blue moon, I blow out the lower and lube it back up with CLP. Same for the buffer tube. I don't worry about either very much.

Anymore, I'm not particularly anal about cleaning mine. It's super accurate and reliable regardless of how thoroughly I clean it.  I don't spend more than about 20 minutes on it, usually.  I don't even worry about the carbon on the back of the bolt. Anything that the Powder Blast doesn't get is left alone. It knocks itself off when the buildup gets too high. Mostly, I just shoot the piss out of it. I probably clean it after 300 rounds or so, most times. My last cleaning was after 1000rds when I noticed my groups suffering a smidge.  Afterwards,  it was as good as the day I bought it.

I shoot XM193 almost exclusively, and I find it to be reliable (not one ammunition related issue in over 2000rds), reasonably accurate, and clean enough. If I shoot UMC ammo through it for example, I find that I have to keep the rifle exceptionaly clean to avoid problems.

In short, I just use CLP, BreakFree Powder Blast and Shooters Choice Copper Solvent. Nice and easy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
CPL for 99% of everything.

Hoppes #9 copper remover on some times and a bit of rem oil on the sears.

I'm using shooters choice to remove copper fouling and then either CLP or FP10, whichever I happen to have at that moment.
However, I hate the stench of the shooters choice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
i have also seen my father use stuff called "Perchloroethylene" or Perc for short. it is used by laundry mats for cleaning mass qunitiys. but i beleave it has the same effect on the gun as would break cleaner, just need a lil lube afterwards. for a whyle i know u could get a 5 gallon jug of the stuff at your local laundry mat. but the EPA has steped in and no longer allows it to be sold to privet parties. good old PRK. is there a single ALL around cleaner out there?hinking.gif
scooter
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i have also seen my father use stuff called "Perchloroethylene" or Perc for short. it is used by laundry mats for cleaning mass qunitiys. but i beleave it has the same effect on the gun as would break cleaner, just need a lil lube afterwards. for a whyle i know u could get a 5 gallon jug of the stuff at your local laundry mat. but the EPA has steped in and no longer allows it to be sold to privet parties. good old PRK. is there a single ALL around cleaner out there?hinking.gif
scooter

Many have reported success using either CLP or FP-10 exclusively. Between the two, FP-10 seems to be more popular.

Buy 'em all and see what works for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top