Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 4:50:05 PM EDT
I'm waiting for the offer and acceptance to happen, but looks like I will be heading out of tidewater and coming to the capital to live.

I'd be much obliged for locals to tell me what is cool and what to watch out for.

Probably look to buy a house a bit outside of the city - a little bit of space would be a nice thing to have.

Anywho, let me know the story.

TR
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Like Templar, I've lived in Richmond most of my life.  He did a great job of covering the firearm concerns.  

If you're looking for property, there's a lot to consider - where you're working obviously being important.  Richmond has the intersection of 64 and 95 in it, and now has a circle around the city (295 around the North side, Pocahontas Pkwy around Southeast and 288 around Southwest).  Richmond's Southside and East End are long-established communities (meaning oftentimes rancher-style 70's & 80's homes - obviously with exceptions).  Richmond has expanded dramatically to the west in the last few years, and will continue for the forseeable future.  Southwest of the City (western Chesterfield and Powhatan Counties) are about to experience a HUGE boom due to the opening of 288 last Friday, and would be a good choice in my opinion.

Feel free to drop a note if you're heading this way or have questions.  It will be great to have some more Richmonders on the board!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Work is near the interchange of Parham and I95.

I'm thinking about being east or south of the place - I don't like the idea of circling the beltway to commute back and forth.

I already have a few NFA items, but I'm sure I will be adding more as time goes on; but I am planning on keeping my corporation that I already have, so no big worries there.

CHP is a concern though. As is high speed Internet.

BlackFox, I think I might still have your number; assuming you are still where you were before.

Hopefully, I will get the call this week and start the process.

Do you think looking for a house with a basement would be useful, or would it be a waste of time?

TR
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Anthony - 288 from 64 down to Midlothian Turnpike (Rt 60) opened at 3 p.m. on Friday.  It doesn't go all the way South yet, but they're saying in the next month or two it will.  My commute just went from 45-60 minutes each way to maybe 20 minutes.  For the time being you can take a detour from 60 to 360 if that helps.  

The Rock - CHP isn't a concern anywhere in Richmond.  High-speed internet is hit-or-miss, of course.  I'm right where I've been for the last 7 years, so my contact info should be valid.  I highly recommend a basement if you can find one - particularly a walk-out.  Check the waterproofing well, but they can make great spaces for a low cost.  My basement's about 1,200 sq. ft. and probably cost me an extra $20-$30K.  The heating and cooling is low of course, and it's at least a better storm shelter and storage area than the rest of your house.  

Anyway, let us know how it goes!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The only decent free range that is open to the public is the Chickhominy Wildlife Management area, which is in Charles City Co., and is closed right now through January for filming.

Welcome to the area!

Amelia Wildlife Area also has a free 100 yd rifle range. Not great but it is ok and cheap. They also have a shotgun area if you have a bird tossing machine.
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/wma/amelia.html

Fort Lee is an inexpensive option for handgun. It free but availability is spotty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top