Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/30/2006 2:19:19 PM EST
Hi folks,

I was hoping some of you could give me a liitle better "Clue" about the status of pre-ban mag's in your states?

I don't mean dates of manufacture ( I know those) but do they count the number of COMPONENTS in a given mag' to determine it's status (And legality to import) or is just ONE pre-ban component good enough to satisfy the state(S)?

Put more bluntly, if I sell a mag' body that was made in 1984 BUT that has a new follower, floor-plate and spring in it (3 new parts VS 1 old part) is it STILL considered a legally "Re-built" magazine or am I going to get myself and someone from NY or NJ in trouble?

Thanks for any help clearing this up for me

Treadhead.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:26:48 PM EST
NY's AWB is a copy on the Federal AWB, which I belive considered the mag body the "magazine".
PROOF is what you really need, and unless it's date stamped, there's no easy way to prove when a magazine was made. Floor plates can show proof of being pre-ban, but they're not magazines. If your old mag body has new floor plates, and no date you can't really prove it's preban.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:56:07 PM EST

NJ does not have a "Pre-Ban" stipulation at all.

All mags no more than 15rds
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:01:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By DWFAN:
NJ does not have a "Pre-Ban" stipulation at all.

All mags no more than 15rds

Well THAT'S good to know (And sad to hear!).

Thanks guys,

"Treadhead"
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:45:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Treadhead:

Put more bluntly, if I sell a mag' body that was made in 1984 BUT that has a new follower, floor-plate and spring in it (3 new parts VS 1 old part) is it STILL considered a legally "Re-built" magazine or am I going to get myself and someone from NY or NJ in trouble?

For NY -

AR mags can be rebuilt. Its no problem. 30rd mags are legal, if "pre-ban".

The definition of pre-ban is the sketchy part, since.. MFRs were supposed to date their mags after the AWB. Well since the sunset, MFRs don't date them anymore.

I can hit the gunshow and buy mags en masse...
they sure look brand new... are they brand new, unmarked, post ban mags?
Probably pretty likely that they are.

Course, I couldn't prove it either way.
Top Top