Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 2:10:19 PM EDT
Howdy,

My wife's currently in graduate school. Once she's done, we're making a beeline out yer way. Both of us are really fuggin' tired of Michigan. I've spent enough time out in the SW to know that I'm a desert rat at heart. My brothers are down in Phoenix. Neither her nor I are city types, but the Phoenix area would be fine if it came to that. Still better than here. That said, we took a drive up that way when we were out there in March and we both felt very much at home in the area of central AZ. Good mix of the sticks and small town. Friendly people. Found the breweries right quick. Eventually, we want some acreage, so there's that. She's in the medical field and I'm a lab rat/materials scientist with a lot of other experience, so, if any two people can land jobs anywhere, it would probably be us.

So what can you folks tell me about the Payson/Pine/Strawberry and surrounding areas? Weather: Y'all get snow, but nothing compared to what we get in MI. Heat's no problem for us. What are the economy and housing markets looking like? Rent? Cost of living? Lots of outdoors options, which is very appealing. 4x4 and hiking trails?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:46:04 PM EDT
I grew up in Payson. Not much in the way of industry/shopping/restaurants etc. Lots to do outdoors and that is about it. Good luck finding affordable acreage
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2014 11:32:22 PM EDT by freeride21a]
Pine/Strawberry are the hidden gems up there. They are about 1000ft+ higher than Payson and stay a tad cooler in summer. They get snow, but not enough to really stop things.

As for work, you are 90-100 mi from Scottsdale or Mesa.. but its all down hill haha.

There is some medical plaza's up in Payson, and Payson might be getting a university branch campus from ASU, so there will be jobs there in tech/medical area IIRC http://www.universityinpayson.com/updates/

Pine has That Brewery in it too... good beer! Not like bells or founders or anything but it is good. AZ is a beer state.

GREAT hiking up there, and TONS of dirt roads from maintained to impassable. It is in the middle of one of the largest national forests complexes in the country! Tonto NF, Coconino NF, and Apache-Sitgreaves NF.

View from the parents place in Pine..
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:22:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2014 11:22:55 AM EDT by lew]
Yeah, we're spoiled when it comes to beer in MI. That Brewery was very enjoyable, though.

I already have a sixty mile commute, so I'm used to driving a ways for work. Can't say I mind it.

Thanks for the replies, lads.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:45:49 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
Yeah, we're spoiled when it comes to beer in MI. That Brewery was very enjoyable, though.

I already have a sixty mile commute, so I'm used to driving a ways for work. Can't say I mind it.

View Quote

Lemme just say:

A 60 mile commute other places does NOT always equal a 60 mile commute up in the sticks.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:15:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PHOENIX13:

Lemme just say:

A 60 mile commute other places does NOT always equal a 60 mile commute up in the sticks.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lemme just say:

Trust me, I understand. I have many miles under my belt driving all over, the Southwest included.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:00:16 PM EDT

Trust me, I understand. I have many miles under my belt driving all over, the Southwest included.
View All Quotes

Lemme just say:

I think the point he is trying to make is that there are only one or two roads into some of the rural areas here and one issue or accident can add several hours to a trip. I ran into issues a few times leaving Phoenix on the I-17 that kept me in bumper to bumper traffic for 2-3 hours and one of those times was just a simple traffic stop of a car a few miles ahead of me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:01:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:

I think the point he is trying to make is that there are only one or two roads into some of the rural areas here and one issue or accident can add several hours to a trip. I ran into issues a few times leaving Phoenix on the I-17 that kept me in bumper to bumper traffic for 2-3 hours and one of those times was just a simple traffic stop of a car a few miles ahead of me.
View All Quotes

Lemme just say:

This is truly one of those States where "you can't get there from here..." if I-17 or RT87 is closed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:19:23 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Lemme just say:

Been there done that, on I-17, too. Hence the "I understand" bit.
Top Top