Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 3:38:08 AM EDT
Is it worth moving there from Detroit for a job?  Safer?  Cleaner?  Firearms laws?

Are the people friendlier than the rude SOBs in motown?

Is Philly teh suck?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Just came from my brother in law's house in Philly, It is a nice place with lots to do, firearms laws are great in PA!  I have a concealed weapons carry for the state of PA and can carry anywhere except for in an educational facility and inside a court room.  The winters suck though, although, if your from detroit, i figure your used to a little snow...  On another note, in the 2 days I was there, I never seen so many hotties in all my life!!!!  just go to the king of prussia mall!!!!  there's girls EVERYWHERE!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think anywhere except perhaps Iraq would be safer than Detroit?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Phillys great when it comes to hundguns. Lots o places to shoot too:)  Good food, safe and lot of places to see in this city..

Frank
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as you don't need to live in the City, Philli is a great area to live and work!  

I live in the 'burbs of Philli (Chester Count actually) and work in Valley forge...  Gun laws in PA are great but there are not a huge number of places to shoot in SE PA especially with the Machine Guns.... but at least MGs, SBRs, DDs, AOWs, CCW, and most anything else that is legal anywere in the country is legal in PA!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you.  I appreciate the time everyone took to respond to my inquiry.

You are all very generous.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Better than Detroit = Yes, except traffic in and out of the city
Safer than Detroit = Yes, but crime here is still bad
Gun Friendly = Yes for the time being. Forget about class 3
Cost of living = Getting more expensive every day. A condo in my part of town was going for $40,000 8 years ago, today it's      
                       $400,000
Things to do = Unless all you do is go out to restuarants, not much
Opinon = Move to a surrounding suburb (west)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll like the surrounding suburbs of Philly if you're from Michigan.  It'll remind you alot of what you're used to, except there aren't lakes all over the place.  relace the lake frequency with streams and creeks and you get the idea.  Downtown is nicer than Detroit, but again, hit the burbs if you can.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Sin,

It depends on what you do if you want to move here. My line of work, Construction is booming and has been for some time

I live in Philly but I am actively looking to get out to the Northern Suburbs. Central or Northern Bucks County to be exact.

We have CCW here but I heard that the fee is being increased from $19 to $120. Not cool.

I have lived in Philly all my life but it is time to go.

I live in a single home in an area called Fox Chase and the neighborhood is still good. Row houses are going for over $100,000.

Crime is the same as in any big city and there are tough neighborhoods here too.

Do yourself a favor......DON"T move into PHILLY
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Do yourself a favor......DON"T move into PHILLY

Move near Philly but do your best not to move into Philly!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
In the city, it's pretty nice as long as you know where NOT to go (especially after dark). At least you can carry though. Get a place in the `burbs and you'll be good to go. The further out of town, the cheaper and safer it gets. Also, contrary to an earlier post, class 3 is no problem outside of the city.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In the city, it's pretty nice as long as you know where NOT to go (especially after dark). At least you can carry though. Get a place in the `burbs and you'll be good to go. The further out of town, the cheaper and safer it gets. Also, contrary to an earlier post, class 3 is no problem outside of the city.

And actually, C3 isn't really a problem in the city if you're determined.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And actually, C3 isn't really a problem in the city if you're determined.

Dennis Todd can help you there.  He is part of the Outskirts of Philly.  You can find him on Bowers Recomended Dealers.  I bought my M16A1 from him.

I also bought my First Class III item from him as well.  The Good Doctor does good work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#14]
North Philly = Bad

I was visiting a friend in Philly and at the time I was living in Northern NJ and some how got lost in north Philly.  Needless to say I thought I wasn't going to make it out of there.  

I know several guys who came from "da hood" in Philly.  North Philly seems to be the worse but the burbs are OK.  Valley Forge area is insane as it seems that area is built up as far as it will go and there is more building going on.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#15]
It's the city of brotherly love. Wear two pairs of pants & bring your soap on a rope so you don't gotta bend over in the shower. But in the event you do move there, PHITPAPP
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Other than Rick I take it not many posters have actually lived inside of the city and just visited the Stadiums or maybe Penns Landing/Delaware Ave.
Philadelphia has lots of row houses. Other cities call them town homes, but these things are all in a row as the name implies with parting walls thin enough to give you good intimacy with your neighbor. A row house in a decent neighborhood will start about $150k on average. If you're lucky you will get a little patch of dirt out front and maybe a place to park.

Your better neighborhoods have twin and sigle homes. Areas such as Chestnut Hill, West Mt Airy, Roxborough, Andora, and Pine Valley are quite nice. Expect prices to start about $250k.
Center city is nice, has lots of clubs and restaurants, and the "energy" of the city. Row houses start in the $300k range and quickly go up past a million. For your money you get nowhere to park and bums pissing on your stoop. Everthing is within walking distance, so sell your car, you won't be able too drive it anyway.

University City has it's action and some nice houses, but is totally surrounded by slums, and despite all the campus police the students and residents still manage to get raped and robbed on a regular basis. North Philly is row after row of abandoned houses. Decay at it's best. Temple University area can be very dangerous after dark.
Southwest Philly is about the same, falling apart and a good place to get shot. West Philly the same. The Northeast  took a heavy toll from an abundance of section 8 and other housing programs. Crime has been on the rise in this area. The greater Northeast is saturated with Russians and more importantly a lot of Russian Mofia. A cop pulled one over for a traffic violation and he shot at him with a 12 GA. There has also been homicides in this area involving drug dealers in which etire houses have been executed. The Franklin Mills Mall has many robberies and a few police shootouts have been there.

Taxes are high in Philly. The sales tax is an extra 1% to make it 7%. Tere are countrless surcharges on everything. Auto insurance averages about $2k for one car. There is a city wage tax. I think it's 4.5% fo5r residents. For all the extra money you spend you get a school system that is total crap. They need the cops that they have there. It's not just for show. The other city services are horrible, and don't get robbed or catch on fire because the 911 system is sloooow.

As far as guns, Philly don't like em. There was an assault weapons ban in 89' that thank goodness the state overrode. Philly wouldn't let anyone get carry permits until within the last ten years when the state forced them to change their policy. This city and Rendell led the first major lawsuit against gun manufacturuers. Abraham, the District attourney stated that she doesn't like guns when she was interviewed after the ban. There is only one rifle range in the city that I know of and maybe 3 indoor pistol ranges that aren't anything talk about except for one in South philly.

Sin I could go on and on, but I'm going to end it here. DON'T MOVE INTO PHILADELPHIA!!

However Bucks, Chester and Montgomery counties are absolutely beautiful, have nice schools and many places to shoot. Pa is a gun loving state for the most part  and a great place to live, but the city is a country all it's own. Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Pat's King of Steaks "Eyyy Cheese Wid!, Mummers, fond memories of the quaint neighborhood in South Philly....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've lived in the Old City section of Philadelphia for over 10 years. Very overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
More advice than I can shake a stick at.

I sure do appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.  I can say that I'll be able to make a well informed decision now.

Thanks very much!

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I just moved to the suburbs a few weeks ago (Abington) and saved myself $70/week on wage tax.  My car insurance also was cut in half.  I haven't heard a single gunshot outside of my window since I moved, too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
The company I work for also has a very small branch office in Scranton.  I wonder if that would be a good choice?

I knew about it but never really gave it much consideration until all of these posts advising aginst the city life.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The company I work for also has a very small branch office in Scranton.  I wonder if that would be a good choice?

I knew about it but never really gave it much consideration until all of these posts advising aginst the city life.

Scranton is philly with out the black people  ;)
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Scranton is much better than Filthadelphia. Not far to go to see sticks. And shoot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top