Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2010 8:31:45 AM EDT
**Disclaimer**

Before all the dog owners jump down my throat, Yes, your dog would never bite anyone.  He/She is just a big puppy.  That all changes when a stranger gets near their territory. I work for a utility and was attacked by two "Good" Pit-bulls this week.  I was at the job site and the neighbor was out with her dogs.  The "puppies" spied me next door and made a beeline across the yard, through the fence, and proceeded to defend their master.  All I had was a screwdriver to defend myself.  I was bitten twice while the owner as saying they wouldn't bite.    This isn't a Pitt-bulls are evil post, I've had small dogs defend their territory.  

Here's the law on Open Carry:

790.053Open carrying of weapons.

(1)Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or
   about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.
(2)A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
(a)A self-defense chemical spray.
(b)A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
(3)Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

My question is, can I open carry an extendable baton?  Would an extendable baton be considered a dirk, billie, or deadly weapon per statute 790.003a?
The baton would give me a space cushion as well as a defensive tool.  I have a CWP, but I can't carry at work per company rules.  
We have company provided "Dog Spray" but I would still have nothing to keep them at a safe distance.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
"  We have company provided "Dog Spray" "

So have you use this before ?  How did it work ?  With the exception of mad dogs and dogs that have been trained to attack the spray should work good.  In the case of the other dogs a long fixed blade knife would sure help.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I think a baton would be considered a billie.  Get a chemical spray like "Jogger Fogger" is what the meter readers use at work.  They say it works well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Could you keep a thick "walking stick" with you on all of your stops?
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Call your local SAO and see what they think.  They are the ones whose answer really matters.  You will get varied answers here... none of which will trump what your local SAO will tell you.  

I'm a cop, I'd NEVER give a Utility-type worker a second look who had a stick or baton.  But that's just me...  Yea, we have some real winners in our line of work, so my opinion is worthless.

Walking canes are very helpful... don't your legs get tired?
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]

The pic is a 4 C cell, but a 5 or 6 C cell would be better.

It's just a flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Does the company have a policy for this? You dont want to use something and then get fired for it later on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#7]
carry a couple sacrificial cats, When the dogs get close just chuck the cats directly into their path
and while the dogs are busy deliver the stuff. The next time you show up the doggies will be waiting for you
wagging their tails not growling. case closed, dogs happy, I'm happy, your safe, cats gone, and dogs fed.
Wow, a myriad of problems solved at one time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I jog all the time, been bitten couple times over the years and chased a lot. Started carrying BEAR DETTERENT SPRAY, all it took was one spray haven't been bothered since. They still bark at me, but that is as far as it goes.

And I do have a 100 pound doberman my self.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Carry OC spray. I had to spray a rather large black lab that was trying to use my leg as a snack and it worked instantly and effectively. He quickly forgot about me and started rubbing his face in the dirt.

A baton is probably a bad idea to try to use on a dog.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
OC spray works good, not sure what the dog repellent is made of.  Someone suggested a "walking stick", this would be a good option as it would give you a little distance.

I know I'll get flamed for this but another option would be a golf umbrella.  Most of the time all you need is something to put in front of the dog.  Now just like with humans, if the dog is intent on hurting you it will but if it's just looking to show you who's boss an expanded umbrella or anything you can put between you and the dog will throw him for a loop.  An umbrella, folding stool, tennis racket, shovel, ect...  At least it would buy you time to get your spray out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're already issued "dog spray" I'd just upgrade that to a fogger can of bear spray. If you use it I doubt anyone is going to check and see what the exact spray was you used. If someone calls your employer to complain that you sprayed their dog you just stick to the "I used my company issue dog spray" story. If you have to keep an empty can of it in your truck that way if they ask for it you've got it to turn in. A good bear fogger has at least a 10' range so you can get some space between you. Like some others have said a walking stick is pretty much legal everywhere in the world. I like a simple waxwood style with a small knob on the end, very versatile. I know you said your company has a no firearms policy but personally that wouldn't stop me from carrying a LCP or even a NAA 22mag in a pocket holster. If anyone found out I had it at work keeping my job would be a minor concern. If it's a big ass pit bull or neighborhood thug on you that last reach into your pocket could save your life. It's easier to hide a NAA 22 mag than it is most knives.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
As all have said, spray is the way to go.  It works perfectly and it would get you fired or sued.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
My company will not even allow pepper spray so I carry the largest pocket knife they will allow me to carry, one I can open with one hand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies,

I've only been in this title for about 6 months and on my own for a few weeks.  I didn't know we had dog spray until after the incident.  I'll give it a try first.  Since my job entails going in/out of pits and up/down extension ladders, a walking stick is not really an option.  I thought about the baton since it can be stored in a belt pouch.  I just wish the owner of the Pit-bulls would have been more concerned about controlling her dogs than her Blackberry and coffee.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies,

I've only been in this title for about 6 months and on my own for a few weeks.  I didn't know we had dog spray until after the incident.  I'll give it a try first.  Since my job entails going in/out of pits and up/down extension ladders, a walking stick is not really an option.  I thought about the baton since it can be stored in a belt pouch.  I just wish the owner of the Pit-bulls would have been more concerned about controlling her dogs than her Blackberry and coffee.

Unfortunately that's become typical of many owners of that breed .  I have a couple in my neighborhood, 1 is a nice dog but the owner can't control it, and the other wants to kill anything it sees.  I used to jog by that house and always had to plan where I would go if he got loose.  Now I always carry when I walk my dogs and my wife keeps pepper spray on her when she jogs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Kimber makes a good spray....
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
My friend was a meter reader many years ago and he wore those painter's pants and carried a small roofing hammer in the pants loop.
Roofing hammer is like a claw hammer except the claw part is not bent.
He said it was a useful tool in many ways.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The dog spray should work good for you. Back when I was a teenager, there was a dog that used to chase me on my bike very day when I would ride to my friends house. My mom worked at the Post Office and got me some spray that they issued to mailmen. The next time the dog came after me, I gave him a good blast and he promptly forgot about me and ran off sneezing  and rubbing his head in the grass. Every day after that, he just sat in the yard and watched me ride by.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
How 'bout consulting a Postal Carrier that walks their route?
Most I see carry some type of spray.

SMSP
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Halt! Dog Repellent
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Bacon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top