Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/8/2005 7:24:10 PM EDT
I am going to Chicago with my family and I see that Illinois is not going to let me carry. What else can I legally have on my person while in Chicago for defense? Thanks guys, and I hope your laws change sooner than later.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:03:32 PM EDT
Pretty much nothing but your confidence in the CPD. Best of luck to ya.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:09:04 AM EDT
You could wear an athletic cup.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:31:12 AM EDT
Forget all non-lethal means too...i.e. mace, pepper spray, knives, tasers, etc... You are basically at the mercy of the criminals.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:54:40 AM EDT
try a hammer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:06:09 AM EDT
I think folding knives are legal, but here's some crazy length restriction of like 2 or 2 1/2 inches.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:15:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By silascobb:
Forget all non-lethal means too...i.e. mace, pepper spray, knives, tasers, etc... You are basically at the mercy of the criminals.

Huh ???
I've got a can of Fox in my coat pocket......... that's illegal ???

ckmorley
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
Are you going to Chicago propper?

Not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv.
Pepper spray is legal to carry.
Carrying a knife is also legal.
Just keep em both concealed.

Cased unloaded firearms are also legal. Though handguns and assualt rifles are banned in Chicago propper.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:37:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ckmorley:

Huh ???
I've got a can of Fox in my coat pocket......... that's illegal ???
ckmorley

I guess I was wrong on the pepper spray, mace, taser, although they may have changed the law since I looked last. Apparently these are ok.

8-24-045 Noxious gas or liquid.
(a) No person shall use any device to discharge a noxious gas or liquid in an enclosed room in any Class C-1 or Class C-2 Assembly Unit, as defined in Chapter 13-56 of this Code, or in an enclosed room in any restaurant, bar or tavern that is a Class F Assembly Unit as defined in that chapter, if more than 20 persons are present in that room, unless the person is peace officer, as defined in Section 8-20-30 of this Code, engaged in law enforcement activity. As used in this section, "noxious gas or liquid" means mace, pepper spray or any other substance that is intended or designed to cause irritation to the eyes, nose or mouth, or to cause nausea.
(b) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor that is punishable by a fine $500.00, or 30 days imprisonment, or both, for each offense.
(Added Coun. J. 4-9-03, p. 106979, § 1)

8-24-020 Carrying dangerous weapons.
EXERPT:
No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a pistol, revolver, derringer or other firearm or dagger, dirk, stiletto, bowie knife, commando knife, any blade of which is released by a spring mechanism, including knives known as "switch-blades" or any other type or kind of knife, any blade of which is more than two and one-half inches in length, ordinary razor or other dangerous weapon except that no person 18 years of age or under shall carry concealed on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer.

8-20-010 Unlawful to carry--Exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or maintain in any vehicle or about his or her person except when on his or her property or in his or her residence or fixed place of business, any rifle, shotgun, or other firearm; provided, that this section shall not apply to:
[SNIP]
(7) Members of any club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon established target ranges, whether public or private, while such members are using their firearms on such target ranges;
(8) Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, with the special permission of the Governor;
(9) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing;
(10) Transportation of weapons broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

8-20-040 Registration of firearms.
(a) All firearms in the City of Chicago shall be registered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. It shall be the duty of a person owning or possessing a firearm to cause such firearm to be registered. No person shall within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm unless such person is the holder of a valid registration certificate for such firearm. No person shall, within the City of Chicago, possess, harbor, have under his control, transfer, offer for sale, sell, give, deliver, or accept any firearm which is unregisterable under the provisions of this chapter.
(b) This section shall not apply to:
[SNIP]
(5) Any nonresident of the City of Chicago participating in any lawful recreational firearm-related activity in the city, or on his way to or from such activity in another jurisdiction; provided, that such weapon shall be unloaded and securely wrapped and that his possession or control of such firearm is lawful in the jurisdiction in which he resides;
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:37:47 AM EDT
First off, welcome...

IANAL, but wanted to note. IIRC... legal limit as to how big/long a knife may be is 3 inches of blade and is NOT what would be considered a fighting knife...ie: blood grooves, hand/finger guards etc. As long as you are not carrying the knife with intent to do harm anything goes.
Illinois law: from Packing.org www.packing.org/state/illinois/

(720 ILCS 5/33A-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 33A-1)

Sec. 33A-1. Legislative intent and definitions.
(a) Legislative findings. The legislature finds and declares the following:
(c) Definitions.
(2) A Category I weapon is a handgun, sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, any other firearm small enough to be concealed upon the person, semiautomatic firearm, or machine gun. A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24-1 of this Code, knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)

Sec. 24-1 Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or
(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:55:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By moparman71:
Pretty much nothing but your confidence in the CPD. Best of luck to ya.

Damn its worse that I can carry safely and I know I can at home, but Illinois says no you can't. Anyway so is a folding knife legal with a 3.1" blade? I work in Detroit and I am just used to having certain items on me when in the city-I've heard Chicago is a nice city so I am not really too concerned.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:29:38 PM EDT
Mack quoted the statewide law.
I quoted the Chicago ordinance.

In Chicago, both the state and Chicago law would apply.

Outside Chicago, you might be alright with a 3.1 inch knife unless you were found to have "intended to use it unlawfully". (I haven't done a thorough review).

But beerbarron mentioned he would be going to Chicago, so . . . I think you are limited to 2.5 inches (blade) or risk having it confiscated and being fined.

8-24-060 Violation--Penalty.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this chapter, where no other penalty is specifically provided, shall be fined not more than $200.00 for each offense.
(Prior code § 193-35 (part))
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:13:55 PM EDT
What are you afraid of?

For comfort study a map of the area you are going. Keep oriented to the lake ( East).

Look tough! Odds are in your favor of making it out alive.

JR
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2005 2:31:56 PM EDT by xmikex]
You'll be fine in Chicago.

If you want to carry a knife and pepper spray, go ahead. The places you're probably going to be visiting are extremely safe. Your biggest threat will be getting hit by a car while crossing the street.

Crime-wise, just keep your wallet in your front pocket or an inside-the-jacket pocket to protect from getting pickpocketed.

Have a great visit!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:48:00 PM EDT
Cool, thanks everyone! I am looking forward to seeing Chicago. I've neevr been. The laws sure are strict though. I would'nt think twice about haing my knife and gun on me in Michigan or Detroit. Sometimes kevlar too, but I did not want to go on vacation somewhere and get arrested for breaking some law I did not even know about. I know ARF.com members are always knowledgeable and friendly. Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2005 8:13:09 PM EDT by beerbarron]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:28:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By beerbarron:
I am going to Chicago with my family and I see that Illinois is not going to let me carry. What else can I legally have on my person while in Chicago for defense?

A cellular phone. Just don't use it when you're driving unless you got an earpiece for it. It's CPD's newest en vogue ticket.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:53:35 PM EDT
just stick a med. flathead screwdriver w/4-6" shaft handle first in a jacket pocket

good med.-large pair of channellocks (go name brand, don't go cheap steel)

maybe a 12 cat's paw (lil pry bar)

I'm just a workin man...

my IIa is undetectable under sweatshirt or columbia fleece

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:47:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ChopperBob:
just stick a med. flathead screwdriver w/4-6" shaft handle first in a jacket pocket

I'm just a workin man...

You do know about that stupid law regarding fighting back with anything other than your bare hands while wearing body armor right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:39:57 AM EDT
I never go anywhere in the city without my Super Soaker!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:20:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ChopperBob:

I'm just a workin man...

That will get you arrested for carrying "burglar's tools".

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 7:36:34 PM EDT by beerbarron]
So we are in the great city of Chicago right now and we love it. There is so much to do and so many people doing it.

Still wish I was packing though. Even my wife who thinks its ridiculous most of the time thinks its stupid that I can't carry in the city. Trusting other people not to do you harm and the police to save you is not a good idea where I come from. I'm glad that I'm a big boy though.

We have not even left yet and we are already planning our next visit. Maybe I can pack 'properly' next time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 8:16:38 PM EDT by npd233]

So we are in the great city of Chicago right now and we love it. There is so much to do and so many people doing it.

Still wish I was packing though. Even my wife who thinks its ridiculous most of the time thinks its stupid that I can't carry in the city. Trusting other people not to do you harm and the police to save you is not a good idea where I come from. I'm glad that I'm a big boy though.

We have not even left yet and we are already planning our next visit. Maybe I can pack 'properly' next time.

If you want the chance to see a great musical - "Wicked" head over to Borders Books at 150 N. State St. in the morning or afternoon and sign up for their drawing. At noon and at 6 pm they'll draw names (must be present w/ ID to win) and winners get to buy 2 front row tix for $25 each. These drawings are for the shows at 2 pm and 8 pm respectively. These are normally $85 tickets.

www.wickedthemusical.com/chicago/tickets.htm
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:42:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

If you want the chance to see a great musical - "Wicked" head over to Borders Books at 150 N. State St. in the morning or afternoon and sign up for their drawing. At noon and at 6 pm they'll draw names (must be present w/ ID to win) and winners get to buy 2 front row tix for $25 each. These drawings are for the shows at 2 pm and 8 pm respectively. These are normally $85 tickets.

www.wickedthemusical.com/chicago/tickets.htm

Did you see Wicked NPD? Any good?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:33:48 AM EDT
Carry a baseball BAT!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:27:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:

Did you see Wicked NPD? Any good?

A couple very good friends saw it and that's how I heard it was awesome. I've been trying to get down to see it but haven't made it yet. All the reviews are very favorable.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:46:53 PM EDT
I saw it - it was good. I'm not a big fan of "Musical Theater" but it's definitely worth seeing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:40:27 AM EDT
How about using a cane
maybe a colasping type of walking stick from a sports dealer
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 10:00:27 AM EDT by DLoken]
I live in Kenosha (The first city in WI over the IL border along Lake Michigan, about an hour out from the city) and carry my Benchmade 530 when I travel to Chicago (Aside from the awful gun laws I love Chicago, it's a great city) often and have never been harassed by the police. I don't think it's going to be a problem unless you do something else to get their attention.

Hell, on Lake St. several blocks west of the river there is a cutlery shop that sells (At least they were a year or two ago) Benchmade and Microtech automatics.
Top Top