Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2005 8:20:19 PM EDT
Woodland BDUs just seem to be too dark and too green for general purpose use in most of California. MARPAT might be better, since major portions of it are Coyote Brown, though overall it is still pretty green, As arid as this state can be (especially in the winter or east of the mountains), the old and new Desert pattern BDUs are too light IMHO.

But recently I came across the Desert Tiger Stripe, which despite its name looks like it might just be the best non-specific environment general pupose cammie for our state. What say you?

This uniform has recently seen a lot of use by US Special Operations units in the middle east; a friend of mine on active duty at Camp Roberts saw them worn by active duty guys (unit unknown).
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I see you have done your homework, (or is that fieldwork?), Paul!

The only bad thing about Desert Tiger stripe is that it is only available in 100% cotton ripstop. I prefer a harder-wearing fabric, even if it is hotter.

For load carrying gear I picked the Coyote stuff (mostly from Blackhawk); it works better than OD Green IMHO.

Anyone try MultiCam? Too 'spensive for me!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Multicam
6-color desert
OD
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
In So Kal, I'd say baggy pants and a bandana.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Aren't Navy BDU's gray and have bulkhead numbers on the asses?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't done any real testing but the 6 color desert seems to work pretty good in the golden hills of marin in the summer.  The desert marpat would work well too.  

In the winter when it's green, I think forest marpat or flectar would work well.  Woodland is good too but maybe a little too dark.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day I would paintball quite a bit and I would use, the chocholate chip pattern, desert tiger stripe, and then I switched to desert marpat, I do like the marpat and the tiger stipe the best for Cali, though it does depend on the area. I've even mixed my camo befor, using desert pants and jungle top or vice versa. Just remember camo only works when your not moving!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely depends on where you are.  Even the different deserts have  different color combinations.  Movement or lack thereof is the key.

I've even seen places in the desert where there is a lot of lava flow where woodland might work pretty well.

If I was in most desert locations I'ld say a faded khaki, faded brown and very very light green would be best. and
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm out in the high desert a lot and I've used a pair of the ACU army camo which seems to blend into the local desert rock, sand and brush.  I also had the opportunity to see the Marine camo in action at 29 Palms base.  I was at the edge of their field area and was able to observe a group of Marines and vehicles at a distance of about 2000 meters thru binos.  The background was a combination of sand, brush and brownish rocks.  The Marines in woodland marpat really stood out, but the Marines in desert marpat were very hard to distinguish.  Another good camo pattern is the German tan and water which was used up to late 50's I think.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I LOVE Oakleys new "Cement Camo"

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Of course, "Water Camo"  is usefull at the pool!

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
This one might be nice for high desert areas. One close up and the other a little further away.  (with friends).  Got it for making a drag bag.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Believe it or not, I've found that Jungle Tigerstripe works very well in SoCal where you have a lot of coastal sagebrush. The dark green of the Tigerstrips and the dark green brush seem to go very well together. I would think that desert MARPAT would be a good choice closer to the desert and where there isn't much sagebrush.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer brightly colored Hawaiian shirts, REI shorts, and flip-flops.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Disney camo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hiding in plain sight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Some good ideas here! We shall use these as a diverson:

Then sneak up behind them while they are distraced...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Back in the day I would paintball quite a bit...

When I was a kid (not all that long ago) a moderate sized church group went up to around Lassen somewhere for like a week. I was in real good with the youth pastor who was organizing the entire event, so I knew that there was going to be paintball. NOBODY else knew. Actually I hadn't dressed for it the first day, I was wearing I think just a pair of khaki pants and I remember a gray shirt. I did NOT get seen. Some of those poor suckers were wearing orange t-shirts with "NIKE" all across the front. Too easy...

These days, if I want semi-cammo without actually wearing cammos, I'll do the same, tan pants and a gray tshirt or sweatshirt. Works equally well in urban, suburban, industrial, brush, etc. Which is not to say superb, but not bad considering I'm really not trying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
What I would really like to see would be a set of BDUs made in solid Coyote.

But it seems the only "brown" the manufacturers know about is TAN and DARK brown...If you can find a good color, it will not be in a good BDU-type cut.

SADF Nutria is a bit dark, but I can't find a source for that either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top