Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/2/2018 2:11:07 PM EDT
As long as it doesn't have the ability to hold more than 10 rounds and it's a regular pistol I should be GtG right? I have a older Walther PP and a Makarov that both fit that description. We will be traveling in a RV and I know I can't CC, just looking for something to keep in the "house". Thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:01:12 PM EDT
Not sure if your RV will be considered a "residence" so I don't know if the regular laws requiring it to be in a locked container while being transported in a vehicle will apply.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2018 2:04:08 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

From what I recall -

1. Legally, your RV is your "home". So is your camp site.

You are entitled to possess and carry in any mode you want while in your "home", including concealed carry.

You are legally allowed to defend yourself and your loved ones from grievous harm or possible death while in your home, even in California.

There are some places that will differ from the above but those places will have the restrictions posted at the entrance (Yosemite NP?). When in doubt, research before arrival. At the very least, ask at the gate.

2. You can bring any handgun you want, as long as it does NOT qualify as an assault weapon under California law.

No barrel shroud, no threaded muzzle, no magazine outside the grip, etc.

Handgun capacity is irrelevant but magazine capacity is not (see item 3 below).

3. DO NOT bring magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:22:20 PM EDT
RVs are tricky. While you are occupying them as a home (eating, sleeping, cooking), they are a home. While you are driving them, they are a car. For safety reasons, I would follow all the rules for transportation of guns while moving, until you are good and parked (and I don't mean 20 seconds at a red light). Given school zones and all that stuff, that means all handguns should better be in locked containers (I'm not going to play lawyer and try to analyze whether that's absolutely necessary, it is just a good idea).

Where it gets very tricky is the transition from driving to camping. For example: In state parks (not national parks, not county parks), guns are usually prohibited. However, they are allowed in your "residence", which happens to be an RV that's parked and hooked up at a campground in a state park. So how do you get the gun from the park entrance (where there is a little pay booth and a young staff person collecting your $6 fee) to the campground? That's a really gnarly question. We used to visit a particular state park a lot, and one of the rangers was a friend of us, and their answer was: We don't care and we don't want to know, as long as you don't make a mess. On the other hand, if a park visitor acts like a jerk and deliberately does something illegal or dangerous (like combining alcohol, underage, and guns), then we will get very very nasty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2018 3:31:30 PM EDT by Street_Doc]
The plan is to keep them in a locked container stored inside the trailer separated from ammo while driving. We will not be visiting any parks. no magazines over 10 rounds and no evil threaded barrels will be along for the ride.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:23:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Street_Doc:
The plan is to keep them in a locked container stored inside the trailer separated from ammo while driving. We will not be visiting any parks. no magazines over 10 rounds and no evil threaded barrels will be along for the ride.
View Quote
They don't need to be separated from the ammo; they just have to be unloaded. You can have loaded mags right next to the gun in the case or on your person if you want to. Long guns don't need to be locked, only concealed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:42:47 AM EDT
What about ammo? He would be bringing in foreign ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:01:07 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By endermend:
What about ammo? He would be bringing in foreign ammo.
View Quote
I don't believe the restrictions apply to non-Californians.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:22:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2018 3:23:32 AM EDT by kells81]
Tagging on this one as we are headed for San Diego at the end of May. Its a short stop on a long road trip that I do not want to go unarmed. Currently, I am looking at bringing my S&W 586PC and Springfield TRP as one holds 7 and the other holds 8. I ordered a safe to install in my RV/truck that I think will cover me. Every other destination on my list has reciprocity with Texas that I can see except for CA.

I would love to have a long gun on the trip and from looking at it I would say its easier to leave the AR at home and bring a shotgun with slugs.
Top Top