Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 1:42:23 PM EDT
We saw tons of teal, a few mallards, some pintail, a black duck and a cormorant. Where were all of the woodies?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Woodies are the first to fly South when the weather turns.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was Teal. I have shot woodies much later than teal.

There were not nearly as many mallards as usual either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My hole day was shot thanks to duck hunters.... Bow hunting and goose or duck hunting do not mix. If the guy who owns the land next to bow hunts, use common sense please, I had shot raining down on my all damn day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I love teal - seeing tons of them ( first season for that in some time) and am happy to shoot this tasty treat. My dog is at my feet totally worn out but we will be back at it Sunday
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My hole day was shot thanks to duck hunters.... Bow hunting and goose or duck hunting do not mix. If the guy who owns the land next to bow hunts, use common sense please, I had shot raining down on my all damn day.
View Quote

The whole day?! It must have been slow if they were out there the whole day.

Wear blaze orange then so we know where you are.

We had a great day. Shot our two man limit of green heads and teal. No migrators yet, these were all young birds.

Did anyone hunt the National Refuge in Montezuma? We couldn't get in there yesterday, but we're going to try next weekend...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We had a great day. Shot our two man limit of green heads and teal. No migrators yet, these were all young birds.

Did anyone hunt the National Refuge in Montezuma? We couldn't get in there yesterday, but we're going to try next weekend...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No disrespect, but this is not typical for a bow hunter.    
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've had a month to bag one.

Buy the land if you don't want them on it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have bagged one (doe). There is a monster buck in my swamp, and he is finally starting to show him self during the day. The pond is "owned" by my neighbor, however he was not the one hunting it. I have access to the pond because some of my land touches the pond, and the inlet flows from my property as well. The people on the pond were my other neighbors who have asked permission to hunt it. I have no reason to buy the pond, as I can use it all I want and do not have to pay the taxes on it. The pond is large enough, no reason for people to be hunting that close to the land I do own. Especially when they now I bow hunt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe that's where the ducks are. What does "Owned" mean. Either he does or doesn't.

Just because you are a bow hunter doesn't mean you get special privileges. You are on your land and they are on land they have permission to hunt. Did you call your neighbor and ask him to see if the guys can hunt the other side instead of where they do set up? They might surprise you and agree to do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe that's where the ducks are. What does "Owned" mean. Either he does or doesn't.

Just because you are a bow hunter doesn't mean you get special privileges. You are on your land and they are on land they have permission to hunt. Did you call your neighbor and ask him to see if the guys can hunt the other side instead of where they do set up? They might surprise you and agree to do it.
View Quote

"owned" means he owns most of the land under the water. They normally do set up at the northern end, and it dose not bother me one bit. However the southern end is were I have my tree stand.. They were set up so close to the property line it almost seemed deliberate. He knows I hunt there, the owner dose too.  I realize that being a bow hunter does not give me special privileges, however being a water fowl hunter doesn't either. You should respect other people that are hunting. This would be like me setting up next to you on a duck hunt or goose hunt and deciding to learn the trumpet.  Even though I was mad, I didn't confront them, I just left because I know they put a lot of hours in setting up decoys, and I didn't want to ruin there hunt. I will have a conversation with them next time a see them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Where is this pond? Sounds like I will set up on the South shore and skybust
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where is this pond? Sounds like I will set up on the South shore and skybust
View Quote

Im a horrible shot with the bow, sometimes my arrows end up flying in or around the south shore, might wanna stay out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the pond listed as a navigable waterway or is it truly private?

If it isn't navigable he does in fact own the pond. The EPA and DEC have a list of tests to determine if a waterway is navigable or not, I have no clue what the factors are though.

I have had run in's with bow hunters on state land though. Turkey, grouse, and rabbit all open the same day as bow season, and they think for some reason I don't have a right to be stalking through public land while they are up on a tree, have a dog with you and they freak right  out.

I tried to explain to them that if they sit still and shut up I might push something right to them, there's no talking to them though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the pond listed as a navigable waterway or is it truly private?

If it isn't navigable he does in fact own the pond. The EPA and DEC have a list of tests to determine if a waterway is navigable or not, I have no clue what the factors are though.

I have had run in's with bow hunters on state land though. Turkey, grouse, and rabbit all open the same day as bow season, and they think for some reason I don't have a right to be stalking through public land while they are up on a tree, have a dog with you and they freak right  out.

I tried to explain to them that if they sit still and shut up I might push something right to them, there's no talking to them though.
View Quote

He owns 80% of the land under it, I own the rest. We sold him half and acre to build it years ago, but it has since grown and spread a good acre onto my land. I can put a boat in the water from my land. He cant own the water. Same thing as living on lake, you may own the property and the dock, but people can row their boats right up to your dock and fish, as long as there on the water. ( I believe the same is true for streams as well, you can fish off the "high tide" or right away even if someone owns the land could be wrong on that not sure) Regardless of who owns what, I have permission to be on the pond as well. The owner and I are on good terms. He had people hunting his land cross on to my property and kill some deer, I told him about it and he was very cool about it and kicked his buddys of his land so it wouldnt happend again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top