Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2011 9:43:48 AM EDT
So I got this huge package in the mail yesterday. Looked it over quickly. I have a couple of questions concerning filling it out:

1) Do character references have to reside in Westchester Co? It doesn't say so on the application, but would be nice to know.
2) There's a question on whether one had ever been fired or let go from a job. I was layed off once in 2002 due to lack of work in the company. Do I have to explain that on the application?
3) What's a pre-firearm license? Never heard of it.
4) If I possess a black powder revolver already (no loading stuff of course), how do I explain it on the application? I would like to register it on the permit and then take my time picking a "real" pistol. This way I can shoot various models and make a choice.

Wish me luck with all this bullshit.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
References must live in westchester county.  Don't worry about being fired, most people have at some point in their career.  As long as it wasn't for violence, or complete disregard for safety, you will be fine.  I was...
Never heard of a pre-firearms license.  And I would leave out the black powder revolver.  Just me, but the process is long enough.  Giving them a reason to ask questions will only prolong it.  As long as you are in compliance with nys law, they don't need to know.  You can, if you have a close family member or friend, put their gun on your license, but at the end of the day, it is easier to buy a little .22 fun gun for $150-200 and then shop for the big dog.  

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't the pre-license thing an exemption to carry a pistol before you are even approved?

I think it's for emergency circumstances for people with threats against their lives. It allows them to own a gun while their application is being processed.

It isn't given to many people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
A "pre-license" exemption allows you take the full NRA Basic Pistol course including the live fire component required for issuance of the course completion certificate. Otherwise it's a two-step process which requires you to take the required WC safety related component and after your license is issued return for the the live fire range component.

PL265.20

7-b. Possession and use, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range  located

in  or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization

organized for conservation purposes or to foster  proficiency  in  small

arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or

approved  by  the  national rifle association for the purpose of loading

and firing the same, by a person  who  has  applied  for  a  license  to

possess a pistol or revolver and pre-license possession of same pursuant

to section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter, who has not been previously

denied  a  license,  been  previously  convicted  of a felony or serious

offense, and who does not appear to be, or pose a threat to be, a danger

to himself or to others, and who has been approved  for  possession  and

use  herein in accordance with section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter;

provided however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or  revolver

duly  licensed  to and shall be used under the supervision, guidance and

instruction  of,  a  person  specified  in  paragraph  seven   of   this

subdivision  and provided further that such possession and use be within

the jurisdiction of the licensing officer with whom the person has  made

application therefor or within the jurisdiction of the superintendent of

state  police  in  the case of a retired sworn member of the division of

state police who has made an application pursuant to section  400.01  of

this chapter.
PL400

(b)   Application   for   an  exemption  under  paragraph  seven-b  of

subdivision a of section 265.20 of this chapter. Each applicant desiring

to obtain the exemption set forth in paragraph seven-b of subdivision  a

of  section 265.20 of this chapter shall make such request in writing of

the licensing officer with whom his application for a license is  filed,

at  the  time  of  filing such application. Such request shall include a

signed and verified statement by the person authorized to  instruct  and

supervise the applicant, that has met with the applicant and that he has

determined  that,  in his judgment, said applicant does not appear to be

or poses a threat to be, a danger to himself  or  to  others.  He  shall

include  a copy of his certificate as an instructor in small arms, if he

is required to be certified, and state his address and telephone number.

He shall specify the exact  location  by  name,  address  and  telephone

number  where  such  instruction will take place. Such licensing officer

shall, no later than ten business days after such  filing,  request  the

duly   constituted   police  authorities  of  the  locality  where  such

application is made to investigate and ascertain any  previous  criminal

record  of  the  applicant pursuant to subdivision four of this section.

Upon completion of this investigation, the police authority shall report

the  results  to  the  licensing  officer without unnecessary delay. The

licensing officer shall no  later  than  ten  business  days  after  the

receipt  of  such  investigation,  determine  if  the applicant has been

previously denied a  license,  been  convicted  of  a  felony,  or  been

convicted  of  a  serious  offense, and either approve or disapprove the

applicant for exemption purposes based upon such determinations. If  the

applicant  is  approved  for  the exemption, the licensing officer shall

notify the appropriate  duly  constituted  police  authorities  and  the

applicant.  Such  exemption  shall  terminate if the application for the

license is denied, or at any earlier time  based  upon  any  information

obtained  by the licensing officer or the appropriate police authorities

which  would  cause  the  license  to  be  denied.  The  applicant   and

appropriate   police   authorities   shall   be  notified  of  any  such

terminations.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think it's for emergency circumstances for people with threats against their lives. It allows them to own a gun while their application is being processed.

This is NY. Dream on.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Another question - it asks if I had ever possessed a firearms license. Well, I had an NYC rifle/shotgun permit and let it expire when I moved to Westchester. Does that qualify as a "firearm license". I mean a rifle is not a "firearm" per 400.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another question - it asks if I had ever possessed a firearms license. Well, I had an NYC rifle/shotgun permit and let it expire when I moved to Westchester. Does that qualify as a "firearm license". I mean a rifle is not a "firearm" per 400.

Don't play lawyer. You had a license from NYC for a rifle so tell them. If they have to dig it up they many deny you because you showed poor moral character by lieing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess you are right. I will mention the NYC rifle permit on my application. Hope they don't give me crap just because I didn't renew it. I called the rifle/shotgun section and told them I was moving and my permit was expiring within 2 weeks of my move date. All they sent me was a renewal application. Should I have notified them in writing to make it official? I'm a little concerned about that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I guess you are right. I will mention the NYC rifle permit on my application.

When they run your fingerprints the DCJS rap sheet will list the NYPD licensing fingerprint records request. You probably should have canceled your permit when they sent you the renewal instead of just ignoring it. They probably sent the SWAT Team out to your old residence a couple of times since you moved.

Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
So in your opinion I should do it still as not to cause problems with WC pistol permit? It's only been a few months since I moved.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You should call the rifle/shotgun licensing and ask them. No, I don't think it will be a problem in WC though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Just put it on the app, and include a long detailed explaination in writing as to the disposition of your permit.  While the PP section is still not like upstate, it's not as bad as it was under belfiore.  You may want to even call the PP unit at 914-995-2709, and ask them about your situation, before submitting your paperwork, so you'll have everything in order when you have to go through multiple layers of security just to get to the Clerk's office.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just put it on the app, and include a long detailed explaination in writing as to the disposition of your permit.

He still needs to find out from the NYC rifle/shotgun licensing weenies whether he has to formally cancel his non-renewed R/S permit.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#13]
It's going to be fun watching SAF nuke this excessive junk in a year or two.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Update:

Got the application filled out, notarized, ready to go. Called PP section to schedule an appointment. Want to guess how long I have to wait for it? THREE MONTHS! And here I am, trying to get the paperwork done in a hurry. Had I known it takes this long I would have called them as soon as the application was mailed out to me. Would have probably shaved 3 weeks off the waiting time. Oh, well...

And don't forget, after the interview I still have to wait 3-6 months for the permit to be issued. Which makes is a minimum of 6 months wait total, and up to 9 months at the worst. This is ridiculous. Obviously, they want to put as many obstacles to a handgun ownership as possible.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Update:

Got the application filled out, notarized, ready to go. Called PP section to schedule an appointment. Want to guess how long I have to wait for it? THREE MONTHS! And here I am, trying to get the paperwork done in a hurry. Had I known it takes this long I would have called them as soon as the application was mailed out to me. Would have probably shaved 3 weeks off the waiting time. Oh, well...

And don't forget, after the interview I still have to wait 3-6 months for the permit to be issued. Which makes is a minimum of 6 months wait total, and up to 9 months at the worst. This is ridiculous. Obviously, they want to put as many obstacles to a handgun ownership as possible.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 3 month date, they always have cancellations.  They will call you at the # on your application and ask if you want to move to an earlier date. Of the 5 people I know who went through this process 4 were able to move to an earlier date.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#16]
That's encouraging. Hope you're correct. Thanks.

What was the average waiting time after the interview for those 5 people? Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Your head is going to explode by the time your license is approved.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I remember it was from 1-2 months max.  I know I was called twice for earlier spots - due to cancellations, but couldn't take the first due to short notice.  The more flexible your schedule is the more likely you are to cut down the wait time.  

That's encouraging. Hope you're correct. Thanks.

What was the average waiting time after the interview for those 5 people? Just curious.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top