Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/25/2004 9:05:07 PM EST
I have been on a deer lease for the past few years near Comanche, but not this year.

Does anyone have experience hunting the Texas WMA system? I am wanting to hunt Mule Deer in West Texas, maybe Elephant Mtn WMA.

Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:42:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 6:53:58 AM EST by Raskil]
yo bubba,

Went to E mountain several years ago on a muley hunt, long drive but interesting to see the different terrian/ecology. Party of four took two bucks ( small and scragley for mule deer). Saw lots of antelope but couldn't shoot them. We were assigned the SW corner which made for a long drive in the AM. The north side of the big plateau (E mountain) seemed to have the most deer, saw a lot when we drove through that compartment to get to ours. The deer are real grey and very hard to see in the rocky areas. I had set up half way down a ridge to catch the deer moving from top to watering hole below. Depending on compartment, you may be aroound a lot of scrub brush or in pretty open land. Distance is a little misconceiving in the open areas. We used wrist-rockets and marbles to scare/chase a few deer out of the canyons, neat trick. Good luck on the drawing.

As far as the drawing hunts go, use to do it and had good success. Couldn't beat it for the price but the success ratio has been droping over the last few years. It seems TP&W is tring to maximize their income by putting too many hunters for too little game. The drawing hunts have always been safe, but the hunter to game ratio seems to be droping. Some will say that taking game is a small part of the hunt, but if I'm going to burn vacation days and extra $$ during hunting season, I expect to have a target of opportunity. Anyone can go to the phucknig zoo to see anamials.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:48:19 AM EST

Good luck on the drawing.

That was one of my questions. Just buying the $48 permit doesnt give you right to shoot a deer? you have to enter the drawing and your spot is assigned?

Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:27:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By Raskil:
It seems TP&W is tring to maximize their income by putting too many hunters for too little game. The drawing hunts have always been safe, but the hunter to game ratio seems to be droping.

No kidding. I just purchased the 'super-combo' with the public hunting liscense for $112 and noticed that the public land with good hunting (like Gus Engeling and many other WMA's) is now for special drawings only. Public land hunting in Texas sucked bad enough, now much of it requires another fee after the $112.

We live in a state with massive whitetail overpopulation but must pay big bucks to shoot same. The cruel joke is Lakeway (west Austin high $$$ area) that pays tens of thousands to trap and tranquilize deer and then sends them to Mexico. What a @!#$!!'ing joke.
Top Top