Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2007 5:48:23 PM EDT

I want to let everyone know that I am hosting an assault rifle tactical shoot at our gun club on June 17th at 9:00 A.M. Shooting will commence once everyone has shown up and registered.

So what does this mean? Well it means you can compete against other competitors on a timed range with targets starting 50, 100, 200, and the dreaded 400 meter range. This is a timed event which will strain the body as you will be doing some running to objectives. If you are interested please feel free to PM me or give me a call on my cell (616)405-2584, just ask for Chris.

The fee is 20 dollars, and this covers your targets for 3 rounds, and once the shooting is all done with the range will be open for free shooting at my expense, we have 25, 50, 100, 200, and 400 meter Berms set up (50 cals are welcomed :P). I will be putting up the registration form along with the liabilty waiver you have to sign on the net within the next day. If interest is pretty good, I will continue to host them every Sunday (except the 2nd Sunday of each month due to a Calcutta that is held).

The location is in Fennville Michigan, here is a link via Google. http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=gun+club&near=Fennville,+MI&fb=1&cid=42599357,-86026116,1553505234181926403&li=lmd&z=10&t=m

What do you need to bring? Good question.
---Your rifle
---At least 100 rounds of ammo
---A rifle sling (needed but not mandatory)
---Ear and Eye protection
---Mag Pouches (If unavailable I have some I can lend out)
---$20.00 match fee
---Iron sites and scopes can be used in competition, but have to stay on the entire match, same goes for bipods.

The clubhouse will be open and hot food and cold drinks are available. I will be bringing a portable grill for some cooking and a cooler for beverages.

So if your interested in having some fun with your guns, and bored with shooting with nothing really to show for it then this event is for you!! Please feel free to mention this to others, as I am not aware of all websites for guns.

Regards,

Christian Goolsby

Quick update, this Sunday June 3rd we will be having a dry run of the course starting at 9 AM (until dark), anyone is allowed to come out and watch or partake in some fun shooting. Cost will be only $5.00 for the entire day.

Would have posted it here sooner but for some odd reason had a hard time getting logged in. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask or give me a call.

Also just found this forum as I posted in the wrong place.  :P  

Link Posted: 5/31/2007 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone interested on this forum?  I will be able to post pics of the course and whatnot after this weekend for the setup.    
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 4:14:09 AM EDT
[#2]
sent you an IM.
glad to see someone here in W Mich is trying to put this on.  I've been searching for something like this ever since I got my new AR!!
Can you give any more details as to what types of targets, course layout, etc...
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Caoch,

I sure can, I am posting up a flyer at some local shops today and will put the same info in here.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet.
I won't be able to make the one this weekend, as I'll be out of town on business.  But I've already got the June 17 event on my calendar.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
sound like fun

coach89 have you tried the acts matches

www.actsshooters.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I am doing the finishing touches on the forms needed and of course the flyer and will be posting it this evening.

This weekend is really just a test run, I will have about half the targets out there, and basically it is just a get the feeling for the course try.  Weather permitting of course :P
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]
what type of targets will be used.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
sent you an IM.
glad to see someone here in W Mich is trying to put this on.  I've been searching for something like this ever since I got my new AR!!
Can you give any more details as to what types of targets, course layout, etc...

Targets will be standard IDPA silhouette 18X30.  Targets will be spaced from the 50 meter mark out to the 400 meter mark.  You will have 3 shooting positions, standing first, kneeling, and prone.  You will need a 30 round magazine and backup mags in case of FTF's.  I am still designing the portion of what the shooter will stand behind.  Right now it will be probably the Burms we have set up.  We will have 3 timed runs each with 30 rounds on target.  And at the end of the day I am going to introduce everyone to egg shooting at 200 meters.  :P

Going to bring out some eggs and see who can shoot it at 200 meters :P

Its tough but it can be done.  Have yet to hit one with irons though :P  
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The 17th is Father's day, which leaves me out as I have a prior commitment, but I aim to show on the 3rd and for possible future dates.
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If I didn't have to hit the "zoom out" button four times to see where I would have to drive from, I'd go.  Why can't SE Mich have such great places to shoot.  (no cracks about DET pls.)

Link Posted: 6/2/2007 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm interested and could probably get a couple others as well,
is this limted to .223 and AR's? I seen the "need a 30rnd magazine" I dont have any 30's for the FAL, and would maybe like to use that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
It isn't limited to ARs, some AK guys will also be there.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I've seen, it will be mostly AK guys.
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have 20 round mags that won't be a problem, just make sure you bring a couple extra mags as you are allowed to swap out mags in case of fail to fires, or you don't have any 30 rounders.  Tomorrow weather permitting is just a trial run and not the real deal.  I will be out there around 9 AM setting up half of the targets, but people are welcome to come out and shoot for 5 bucks.  July 17th though will be the real deal, and I have received a few requests from people coming from Indiana and Ohio.  

AK's AR's you name it will be there.  We have quite a few AK /AR nutz around here.  I will also be bringing some extra ammo for sale if people need it (depending on the calibe, but should have a couple thousand rounds of 5.45 and 7.62 for sale).  Clubhouse will be open, we will probably be doing burgers and dogs and some other stuff for a small fee.  Trust me when I say small i can take my son out there and get fed for cheaper then I can make it at home :P  Pop, beer and water are also available, pop being a dollar per can beer being a 1.50 (can't beat that :P)

If this shoot goes good, I will make a rquest to have it more often as right now it is a well lets throw something together and see how it turns out.  I know late fall I will be having a pumpkin shoot.  I will go over the rules with everyone as well, and its pretty straight forward don't do anything stupid.  If you have any questions please don't hesitate calling me.  My cell is 616-405-2584  just an fyi I can't be reached out there as my cell doesn't have coverage go figure, but anytime during the week I can be reached.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#15]
have you looked at the ACTS matches they hold matches like what you are.  Info can be found on their website at actshooters.com.  I hold matches using their format in az.  everyone from there has been very helpfull thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Will check it out, thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Day was pretty much rained out, so nothing really got accomplished.  Fiance and I were up til 2:30 this morning finishing up some targets (drill failure and ran out of screws) led to some foul language being thrown out :P  And of course it rains today, but I did get to shoot a few rounds out for frustration sake.  

So far its looking good though, will have hay bails delivered the Saturday before.  Also will be including at the end of the shooting an egg hunt.  Egg is hung on a wire 200 meters out.  Winner will get a prize personally from me.  More details later.

I also want to add in, that I am setting all this up with my own money and of course personal time.  I had tried to search for local events but it just want't looking like there were any near by.  Since the vast majority of the people I shoot with are AK/AR lovers, figured why not have a fun shoot with some competition.  Bringing an ego to this event won't sit well with many, but if you got some kick ass guns will let it slide for 1 minute :P  

My fiance has helped me out tremendousily as well, so when you see her give her a big smack in the ass for a good job done.  I cannot say what she will do if you do that but if you walk out with a shiner I will know what transpired highly
2 weeks away and itching to get this rolling.  

Till next report:

Chris
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]

"If I didn't have to hit the "zoom out" button four times to see where I would have to drive from, I'd go. Why can't SE Mich have such great places to shoot. (no cracks about DET pls.)"

livingston gun club does some cool stuff

washtenaw for long range stuff

This sounds pretty cool, i'll try to arrange funds/time to attend
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]
If you come in a group of 2 or more I will knock a couple bucks off the price.  Just an FYI.  I just got back from the range.  Hay bales, drums will be setting up this weekend.  Its all coming together now :P  If I lived over there I would try and set something up as well :P  
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
RSF,
Yep, want to try an ACTS match too.  Looks pretty intense.
Just need to get up to speed on some of the basic equip.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
You don't need a lot to start..a holster and sling is the minimum for first match..and there's a box 'o gear to borrow from if you need to, since you're required to keep your rifle mags on your person.

And with me shooting, you don't  have to worry about looking bad.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Not to get off topic here, everything has been ordered and this coming Saturday we will be spending a lot of time getting everything ready for the following weekend.  Weather permitting once again, looks like we will have some nice weather for the next 2 weeks so lets pray for no rain :P  

I know I will be bringing out some goods that I want to sell so if others want to as well feel free.  I will also be bringing ammo in 7.62 and 5.45 only for sale for those that run out and want to continue having some fun on the range after the shoot is finished.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2007 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#23]
1 week to go...  Bring extra ammo to shoot once the competition is finished.  And pray for no rain :P

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow this sounds like a blast!!Too bad I am new to the AK and don't have the required equipment.  Not to mention, I just heard about it...Hopefully  -Greg
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Greg feel free to ask or give me a call.  I am loaning out my equipment to friends and people that are in need of a few essentials.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#26]
A sling is NOT mandatory, correct?  ( I may not have one by Sunday)
Also, a mag pouch is for dumping spent mags in order to avoid picking them up after you've completed a course of fire?  (sorry for the dumb question, just wanted to make sure I know)

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Also, a mag pouch is for dumping spent mags in order to avoid picking them up after you've completed a course of fire?  (sorry for the dumb question, just wanted to make sure I know)

No, that is a "dump pouch"
A mag pouch is where they begin, a dump pouch is where they end.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
As far as the sling goes if you don't have one, no problem.  I may have an extra one lying around so I will check.  I will be bringing a bunch of stuff out that for sale, and use as well.  If you don't have a mag pouch don't worry about it, I have a vest that can be shared, granted its brand spanking new and I haven't even used it yet :P

Like I said before, if you can't make it because you think you don't have the right equipment, don't worry about it.  I will have enough to cover people that are willing to try it out.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Dang it, you are making it too easy!  I really wish I could make it this time.  But I can't...hink  By then I will be set up nicely...Sorry I can't make this one...
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
All depends on how many people show up.  If only a few show up, well chances are I won't be able to bring it back.  basically giving the shirt off my back here for some friends and soon to be friends to come out and try so that I can run this at least once a month.  Hoping to get enough support to run it twice.  The more people that show up the less I can charge for future events.  :P
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
No, that is a "dump pouch"
A mag pouch is where they begin, a dump pouch is where they end.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.  Hell, I only have one mag so for me it will be pretty simple.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Well the days are down to less then 2.  Coach what are you bringing out?  I have mags I can lend out if needed.  We will have the entire course set up tomorrow night and ready for Sunday.  Turn out is looking good so far, and its looking to be around 88+ so be prepared for that.  I will have a pretty big cooler out there with water and such and of course beverages can be purchased in the clubhouse very cheap.  

I will post again tomorrow night with more info if needed.  So look forward to seeing everyone out there, and of course to having a fun all day shooting event.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]
height=8
Quoted:
Well the days are down to less then 2.  Coach what are you bringing out?  I have mags I can lend out if needed.  .....  

My 5.56 AR15.  (Rock River)
And yes, my one lonely mag......
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Course you had to have the one rifle I don't have :P  I am sure if other AR owners are there they would loan you one if needed :P  I know a friend of mine will be there with one, and he has plenty of mags to spare.  :P
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone from the east side wanna carpool?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Course is setup and the weather is going to  be perfect.  Looks like a lot of people are going to come out and have some fun.  Just remember registration is from 9-11 AM, and then the fun will commence right afterwards!!!  Hope to see everyone out there.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I am dying to hear how it went!!  Please have one next month...  I will definately be ready by then...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Just want to thank the gys that showed up today.  Had a blast, and it turned out pretty good.  Learned a lot from today, and hopefully can make it better for the next time we host one.  

Want to give a big thumbs up to Coach89, he tore the course up.  His last round, he was pretty much dead on.  He took 2 of 3 rounds (I barely took round 2 from him) and showed some great skills on the range.  

It was insanely hot, 93 and humid no wind and no clouds in the sky.  Ended up learning not to use a scope on the course as I split my forehead open with it :P

Lessons learned from today, never schedule on a Holiday :P  Had a lot of fun, and will ty and get another one going either in Late July first week of August.  Also will be lowering the fee for the course.  

Here's the video of me splitting my head in the prone position 1st round.  Sorry nothing graphic, my 10 year old son was filming this so be patient with spinning :P

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa226/Gruven_Guns/?action=view¤t=MVI_1059.flv

Enjoy,
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#39]
That link isn't working for me.

Glad to hear it went well.  Sorry I couldn't make it.  My friends bailed on me (you know who you are) and I did not feel like driving that far, plus I lacked the necessary gear.  I WILL make it to the next one, and will have gear by then.  Anyways, thanks a lot for hosting this, Chris.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:
That link isn't working for me.

Glad to hear it went well.  Sorry I couldn't make it.  My friends bailed on me (you know who you are) and I did not feel like driving that far, plus I lacked the necessary gear.  I WILL make it to the next one, and will have gear by then.  Anyways, thanks a lot for hosting this, Chris.

Not a problem, I will be redoing the course requirements as I think I went overboard for the first shoot.  You learn from your mistakes, and I will try and correct all if possible.  I will be doing online registration from now on, so I can track who will be there.  

Running 150+ meters in the heat we had was not fun (entertaining, but not fun :P), 10 targets set up with 5 shooting stations.  2 stations and 2 targets from 25 meter mark to the 50 meter mark, 1 station at the 50 meter mark shooting 2 targets at the 100 meter, 1 station at the 100 meter mark shooting 4 targets at the 200 meter mark, 1 prone station at the 150 meter mark shooting at 2 targets at the 400 meter mark.  That one was a bitch!!!!

Usually took just short of 2 minutes to complete the course (my first was the worst, in the video).  Can't use a scope for this kind of shooting, so it was irons the last 2 rounds.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqRHKUjv-o

Better link for shoot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like fun.

Do you mean that no scopes are allowed, or you just wouldn't recommend them?  I ask cause if I went today I was going to use my AR with a 1-3x variable on it.  

Is your score based on accuracy alone or accuracy and time?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
Looks like fun.

Do you mean that no scopes are allowed, or you just wouldn't recommend them?  I ask cause if I went today I was going to use my AR with a 1-3x variable on it.  

Is your score based on accuracy alone or accuracy and time?

I used a 6X and it was hard the first run to acquire the target (running in 93 degrees), scopes are allowed though.  Score is based on accuracy and time, I may re-do that, it worked pretty good but I may tinker with it.  We blasted a lot of rounds down range and I only counted 2 holes in the target stands.  Not too shabby :P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top