Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 5:02:11 PM EDT
I am looking for a range to call home. Most of the nearby ranges have VERY limited facilities and seem to have a poor attitude about the range themselves. In my searching I found his:

www.wegc.org/

It seems like a nice place, and it seems like it is large too, yet no one seems to talk about it. Is there something wrong with it below the surface? What are you general opinions of the place?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, isn't that place up near Lytle Creek?  I think it's closed now due to mudslide conditions or something.  I'll have to check that place out myself one of these days.  I talked to a guy from WEGC at a Crossroads show and he said he doesn't believe it's his job to enforce firearms legislation.  Read into that what you will...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking for a range to call home. Most of the nearby ranges have VERY limited facilities and seem to have a poor attitude about the range themselves. In my searching I found his:

www.wegc.org/

It seems like a nice place, and it seems like it is large too, yet no one seems to talk about it. Is there something wrong with it below the surface? What are you general opinions of the place?

Great club, and we (I'm a member) OWN THE LAND so no evictions a la SGVGC or gummint shutdowns like Lytle Creek, Burro Canyon, etc etc etc...

The one drawback is that acces requires crossing Lytle Creeek about a mile above the I-15 off Lytle Creek Road. That means we usually lose about 10-14 days a year due to flooding in the Creek preventing access.

And a year ago the Old Fire tore through and removed about 40 years of brush. TYhe good news: we have a better idea of what the land looks like beyond the 40 acres (of 80 owned) cureently developed. The bad news: This years rains have buried the facilities repeatedly, requiring heavy equipment work to (a) clean out the 8-12 feet of mud from the bays, (b) repairing/regrading the access dirt road on the other side of the Creek after (c) waiting for Lytle Creek to subside enough to get the equipment up there.

The only rules are, there are no rules he
Members have 24/7/365 access - you can camp out there if you like. There's potable water from a spring on the property, but no electric; sanitation is porta potties.

There are rules, actually - don't shoot anything that doesn't belong to you personally, clean up afteryorself after shooting, and don't shoot the wildilfe (snakes excepted if retreat is unavoidable, of course.)

During the dry season, no smoking except in your vehicle, no open flames at all; if camping you can use a gas stove, but no wood or charcoal fires.

Right now, when you can get up there, the fire rule is a bit relaxed.

All in all, best deal in town. I belonged to South Coast Gun Club in Irvine ((now under the 133 Toll Raod), Lake Elsinore Sportsmans Association (now a housing development) before joining West End.

Now I hope I can get up there within the next couple of weeks (before SHOT Show time); I have a rifle I bought before Christmas I haven't had a chance to zero yet, even!

Tara
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been going there for arounds four years now. I have never had any problems. I'm only around 10 minutes away so it's close to home. I am not a member so I only shoot on the public days. I try and get up there at least once a month. The good thing is that on the public range is shaded and you don't have to stand in the sun all day. Give it a try and see if you like it. Maybe we'll run into each other. I usually shoot 45 ACP and a chrome 44 Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
are there private ranges available for the members there (like at burro)? or is it all controlled firing lines? sounds and looks interesting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
are there private ranges available for the members there (like at burro)? or is it all controlled firing lines? sounds and looks interesting.

The public ranges (100 yard rifle, 50 yard pistol) are both at the entrance to the property, as is access to the shotgun range up the hill.

There are currently 13 "private" bays , a "jumior' range (rimfire only) and 200, 300 and 600 yard pads for the rifle butts, all used for matches on weekends but available to members 24/7/365 other than during matches.

Once we dig out and repair from the latest deluge, we're starting plans to open up more of the 80 acres we own (only about 40 are currently in use) and possible buying the remaning 80 privately owned acres in Meyer Canyon.

All the surrounding land is Nat'l Forest; the only other use is SCE power line (which means they make sure the access is restored, though we grade it and keep up repairs generally.)

If you come up to use the public range or for a match on a weekend, you can look over the whole property - just make sure the RM and/or match directors know what you're doing and maintain safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top