Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2012 9:40:58 PM EDT
My wife and I were in Gresham on business. What Gresham trip would be complete without a stop at Keith's right? Honestly, We have never been there before. We live split time between Bend and Kalifornia. Anyways everyone says "stop at Keith's!" right? So, we did. I have to say, maybe it's just me, maybe I am finicky or hard to please - I was underwhelmed. We went today - Friday. It was pretty busy for sure. However, I saw more than one employee who just seemed to be standing around and or BS'ing. One guy was too busy to show me a $2300 LWRC masterpeice because he was waiting on a BG check. He didnt have to stick around. He coulda just handed it over and carried on, come back to me when you got a minute more. So, like 30 minutes later...We get to see it...
I was pretty wound up about waiting by then but I had cash. I dont think I look like I cant afford to buy, I dunno. More indifference from behind the counter. No sale. I work in Customer service and have for over 15 years. They need to work on it. It's a big deal. Maybe an off day. I will maybe go back someday but I wasnt really that impressed with the prices...20% off stripped lowers right now though!

There is one lady in there...Mrs Ward? I dunno. She doesnt know Acog from Aimpoint. She should stay behind the scenes...

5000 new guns? 500 used guns? I didnt see them. They have a nice selection of mostly stock AR type sticks. I would like to see something you dont see everywhere else once in awhile.

Easy on the Ball Busting please. Just my opinion and observations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 11:05:51 PM EDT
Keiths is the best price in town. Bottom line.

It's the shop you go to if you know what you want to buy, and have no questions or desire to just stroke the firearms. Personally, I prefer to hit them at the gun show (where I can "get back" my entrance fee by purchasing three boxes of primers, and shop around at other dealers). It's only half the distance for me, and I can just hit a quick ride on the max to pick stuff up, rather than driving my diesel truck clear across town and back.

If you want to ask questions, or are just walking in to kill time, go to another gun store. They'll give you the customer support, and their prices are higher because they make fewer sales.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 7:01:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By caarf:
My wife and I were in Gresham on business. What Gresham trip would be complete without a stop at Keith's right? Honestly, We have never been there before. We live split time between Bend and Kalifornia. Anyways everyone says "stop at Keith's!" right? So, we did. I have to say, maybe it's just me, maybe I am finicky or hard to please - I was underwhelmed. We went today - Friday. It was pretty busy for sure. However, I saw more than one employee who just seemed to be standing around and or BS'ing. One guy was too busy to show me a $2300 LWRC masterpeice because he was waiting on a BG check. He didnt have to stick around. He coulda just handed it over and carried on, come back to me when you got a minute more. So, like 30 minutes later...We get to see it...
I was pretty wound up about waiting by then but I had cash. I dont think I look like I cant afford to buy, I dunno. More indifference from behind the counter. No sale. I work in Customer service and have for over 15 years. They need to work on it. It's a big deal. Maybe an off day. I will maybe go back someday but I wasnt really that impressed with the prices...20% off stripped lowers right now though!

There is one lady in there...Mrs Ward? I dunno. She doesnt know Acog from Aimpoint. She should stay behind the scenes...

5000 new guns? 500 used guns? I didnt see them. They have a nice selection of mostly stock AR type sticks. I would like to see something you dont see everywhere else once in awhile.

Easy on the Ball Busting please. Just my opinion and observations.

Everything you went through is what any customer encounters at Keith's.

I either go there knowing what I want to buy so I can get in and out (which can take a while) or I don't go there at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:01:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By haLfLiFe:Everything you went through is what any customer encounters at Keith's.

I either go there knowing what I want to buy so I can get in and out (which can take a while) or I don't go there at all.

Yup. I go there because they are the Glock LE supplier, so it saves me a bunch of money. I was on the way there to get a Springfield R.O. but NW Armory said they would match Keith's price so I went there. I think, in general, a place like Keiths does just fine because they have a great inventory and it's a sellers market, so they don't *have* to care about customer service.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:11:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2012 8:13:32 AM EDT by swae]
Couple years ago my dad wanted to order one of the Colt 1911 100 year anniversary blued model, and they wouldn't do it because they had the stainless in stock.

edit: that said, what kinda prices are on the lowers after the 20%?
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2012 8:25:38 AM EDT by seven-six-two]

Originally Posted By erik996:

Yup. I go there because they are the Glock LE supplier, so it saves me a bunch of money. I was on the way there to get a Springfield R.O. but NW Armory said they would match Keith's price so I went there. I think, in general, a place like Keiths does just fine because they have a great inventory and it's a sellers market, so they don't *have* to care about customer service.

That seems to be their edge in terms of volume sales (the LE angle) every Law Enforcement or armed .gov employee I know always uses or used Keiths. But of course, they pretty much know what they want. The reality is though that the vast majority of firearm purchasers (at least those who buy more than one or two) are for the most part completely and utterly price driven.

How often do we hear how somebody went to local dealer "X" and saw a Glock 17 for $549, but they were able to buy it from buds for $499, pay $30 in shipping, and use their pawn dealer to do the transfer for just $10. Thus saving $10.

I've been to Keiths once, but they couldn't/wouldn't help. The Gunbroker could, and continues to. I much prefer the treatment I get at the Gunbroker in Tigard even if I pay a little more over Keiths (not sure I really do though on most commodity items). I send or take all newbie buyers there because if I send them to Keiths, they'll be out of their depth and there is a high probability that they will not enjoy the experience. And for a newcomer to firearm ownership, the whole experience is very, very, important. Especially as we in the shooting community try to expand the number of new gun owners.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 3:57:25 PM EDT
Keiths has been the only place I've bought a firearm and never had anyproblems. Yes they are busy, it helps to know what you wantwhen you go in. I think they need to get one of those ticket number things like at the DMV.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2012 1:41:54 AM EDT by ZippyGaloo]
Gunbroker in Tigard gets my vote! It can get busy there sometimes but they are always friendly and helpful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 8:56:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rdymixer:
Keiths has been the only place I've bought a firearm and never had anyproblems. Yes they are busy, it helps to know what you wantwhen you go in. I think they need to get one of those ticket number things like at the DMV.

This.

Keith's has good prices and a big inventory. That's it. But it is important, so they sell alot of guns.

Know what you want? Then go to Keith's. Don't? then go to Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:53:09 AM EDT
I've purchased the majority of my guns from Keith. That said, I don't go in there to shoot the shit, or to finger fuck guns I have no intention of purchasing. I go into Keith's knowing exactly what I want, and the first employee I make eye contact with I pull out my cash and I say, I want that Kahr CM9, $425 gets put on the counter. Put your money where your mouth is and you will get plenty fast customer service from Keith, his M.O. is large volume, so you can imagine he doesn't want to watch some 19 year kid stroke an HK416 for 10 minutes, and then ask to see the M4 Benelli thereafter, I've seen it first hand.

The reason people recommend Keith is because he will more than likely have what you are looking for, and at the best price. If you want a fake cheery smile go to Red Robin.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 10:14:32 AM EDT
I use Keith's for the Glock LE discount. Period. Not friendly, and do not like to deal with questions. But they ARE very busy, I'm sure it gets old having people come in to kick tires all the time. Which could take away actual sales. I always call ahead to make sure they have what I'm looking for, and don't waste time once on site. This they do appreciate. And in turn gets friendlier service. Not a good business move, but they have no shortage of customers. For me the Sportsman warehouse is 100 times worse. They know nothing from my experience.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:31:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2012 11:32:30 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:18:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By w153r:
I've purchased the majority of my guns from Keith. That said, I don't go in there to shoot the shit, or to finger fuck guns I have no intention of purchasing. I go into Keith's knowing exactly what I want, and the first employee I make eye contact with I pull out my cash and I say, I want that Kahr CM9, $425 gets put on the counter. Put your money where your mouth is and you will get plenty fast customer service from Keith, his M.O. is large volume, so you can imagine he doesn't want to watch some 19 year kid stroke an HK416 for 10 minutes, and then ask to see the M4 Benelli thereafter, I've seen it first hand.

The reason people recommend Keith is because he will more than likely have what you are looking for, and at the best price. If you want a fake cheery smile go to Red Robin.

Hey man, I love Red Robin. They have a good product AND great customer service. Plus, 22 ounce beers. That's a grand slam in my book!
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2012 11:01:35 PM EDT by Hoppy]
Originally Posted By Modly:
Keiths is the best price in town. Bottom line.

It's the shop you go to if you know what you want to buy, and have no questions or desire to just stroke the firearms. Personally, I prefer to hit them at the gun show (where I can "get back" my entrance fee by purchasing three boxes of primers, and shop around at other dealers). It's only half the distance for me, and I can just hit a quick ride on the max to pick stuff up, rather than driving my diesel truck clear across town and back.

If you want to ask questions, or are just walking in to kill time, go to another gun store. They'll give you the customer support, and their prices are higher because they make fewer sales.

This.

I've only shopped there once as it's about 60 miles from my place. I knew what I wanted and called ahead to make sure they had one (CZ75B). They were pretty busy but as as soon as a counterperson acknowledged me I told him what I wanted and I was out the door in about five minutes.

ETA: I usually shop at The Gunbroker in Tigard. I've bought a few guns over there and they've always treated me right.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:27:26 PM EDT
Keith is a dick.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:39:10 PM EDT
I'll gladly pay a little more just to avoid Keith's.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2012 11:51:13 AM EDT by mEnTL32]
My personal experience is that Keith himself is friendly and eager to help. I like dealing with him personally.

His counter guys can be a little... aloof.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:42:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2012 9:42:47 PM EDT by traderpats]
Originally Posted By kapnkrunch:
I'll gladly pay a little more just to avoid Keith's.

This pretty much nails ii. IF I happen to be in the area and am ready to buy I might stop in Keith's. However if the stars don't align just right I'll go ahead and spend another $20 in order to relax, fondle the intended purchase, talk shop a bit and generally enjoy the buying experience. Most likely at the Gun Broker on 82nd Drive in Clackamas.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:12:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2012 12:12:58 AM EDT by BILLBO]
I have not been back there since 1999 and counting
Top Top