Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 3:15:13 PM EDT
We were looking for a "big boy" bed for our 3 year old.  Something that will last him a while w/o breaking the bank.

<rant on> Why would anybody put a huge retail outlet that will draw people from all over the area to such a POS area?  Took us 30 minutes to get downtown and ~20 minutes to get into the parking lot.  What a cluster f@#k.  The place was jam packed.  They need better access to the parking lots, and a heck of a lot more parking.  Saw people hiking from blocks away.  

So we unload from the "tactical" Odyssey w/ the 3rd row seat deployed for the Mom-in-law.  Loaded up the two kids in our new tandem stroller.  Got into the store and it is wall to wall people.    Can't believe that I agreed to go.  After a while, my blood pressure goes down and I start to look around at the scenery.  Man is it plentiful.  

After looking all over we decide on a bed.  We go downstairs to pick up the furniture from its spot, and of course they are out of stock.  Go to see if there are some elsewhere, 30 minutes later find out we are SOL.  Wonderful, waste time, gas, money and energy going to this shopper's paradise and they don't have the one freaking thing we wanted.</rant off>

Lessons learned:

1.  The workers are sparse, but helpful if you can find one.  None showed any attitude at all.
2.  Our new tandem stroller works pretty darn well.  It has a bench seat that the 3 year old can get in and out on his own.  The car seat for the baby clips on to the front.  
3.  Figure out what you want and call ahead of time to see if the f-ing thing is even in stock
4.  If you eat at the restaurant, get the meatballs.  The chicken salad sandwich and chicken marsala suck
5.  The scenery is plentiful and of high quality.  If you're in the area, I recommend going if you like to window shop.
6.  Don't go on a weekend.  Parking and traffic are atrocious.
7.  Shooting stuff is fun --- stolen from OP's posts.  Has absolutely no bearing on what I got to do today.  Did feel good to pack in the middle of all the sheeple.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What is a lkea?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What is a lkea?

Sorry, I always presume that everyone here is married and that their wife's are avid shoppers like mine.  My wife knows about any store opening w/in 100 miles of our house.

Ikea is a chain of stores founded in Sweden (www.ikea.com).   They have stores around the world.  Their claim to fame is that they sell good quality stuff at reasonable prices.  A lot of their stuff comes w/ a gotcha...some assembly required.  From what I understand, this includes all of their furniture.  Their store in Atlanta is off of 17th street in a very recently renovated part of Atlanta.  

When they opened one in Saudi Arabia...
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14947799&BRD=1426&PAG=461&dept_id=528197&rfi=6

In August 2004, three men were trampled to death in a rush to claim vouchers at the first IKEA furniture showroom in Saudi Arabia. More than 70,000 people showed up at the Jeddah store to be the first 50 shoppers through the doors and to claim a $150 voucher. Officials said 16 people were injured in the human stampede and as many as 20 fainted in the crushing river of people.

Our trip wasn't that bad but the place was packed.  Didn't see any ambulanced hauling off bodies.  The only cops I saw were directing traffic.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Its a shopping experience to die for....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
So if I want to see the stuff China is making for Europe that is the place to go? Glad there are few new stores around here. I could see the wife making some purchases at a new place like that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
We went last weekend to check it out also.  While I cursed the fact that there wasn't one in Atlanta after having them in NY and IL for ever in a day, hitting the new one here was more trouble than it was worth.  Our first pass was at 6-ish on a Sunday and the line to get into the parking lot was backed up about 1/2 a mile!  We decided to run and grab some food, finished eating and came back about an hour later.  Things had died down to a tolerable level outside but the inside was still crazy-crazy.  

Bottom line: cool store, some decent prices, but the traffic in/out is a total "charlie foxtrot".  Wish they'd just get ATL's finest and the rent-a-cops out of the way as they feebly attempt to direct traffic and just make it 10X's worse.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Back around the 4th we had some friends come in from VA and they wanted to go.  OK, we go!!

I am a veteran city of ATL driver, know my way around, no problem.

We spent about 45 minutes circling a 3 block area, thinking we were being herded into the parking lot.  

That is what the ATL city policeman told us at least.

Guess what?  All we did was go in a fricken' circle!!!  

We gave up, decided it was not worth it and I seriously doubt I will go back!!

Typical of the BS that makes up the downtown ATL area.  

Lots of po-po, but all they are doing is waving their arms and there is barely any signage to tell you where to go.  

The signs they do have are contridictary at best.

Guess it would be better to go during the weekday if you must.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't waste your time there. Nothing like looking at goods made in China via Europe I can't understand what all of the hype is about. My wife dragged me there and I can honestly say that I won't be going back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Their "Made in China" ratio is better than Wal Mart. I spent my time there following the wife and loooking at "Made in..." tags. I'd say 20-30% are Chinese, another 20-30% somewhere else in Asia and the rest from Europe or elsewhere. Cheap hot dogs and the scenery is pretty good for a single man...
flap
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have too much furniture already.  

Too much, huh?  I need a sofa, got an extra good one you want to get rid of? Cheap? Free?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Too much, huh?  I need a sofa, got an extra good one you want to get rid of? Cheap? Free?

Depends.  How do feel about "love stains"?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have too much furniture already.  

If you really need a sofa let me know.  I have one that is sitting in newnan you would have to pick it up though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top