Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2005 6:13:43 PM EDT
My 3 daughters, a freind and i went out today to do a little shootin, about 30 mins in to it a state patrol showed up and instructed everyone to step away from the guns. Dude was a real prick, wanted to know whos guns these were, when i told him they were mine he thought he was gonna aresst someone for having MG's. I told him they were legal and have paperwork for them but he didnt know what he was lookin at (paperweork form 4) he wanted to load the beltfed and take me and it with him. The local cop told him it was legal, boy was he pissed! He didnt seem to care much about the other full autos just the beltfed. I love cops, sometimes they just need a hug.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
where was this in MO?
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bland
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
file a complaint!
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't you guys have video cameras?

Video them and post the video of them being stupid fuckers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
This isnt the first time its happened, i have had my M16, mac 10 and beltfed taken away by cops on 2 different occasions, got them back both times and they happened  in other countys that didnt know i have it, here in this county the city and county cops know who it is when a MG fire call is called in and they are cool with it and come out and shoot as well. This state dick just had a bad day, i made it worse.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
One of my next purchases is a Digital Camcorder.  Just for situations when the cops show up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It dont happened that often for me to record everytime i shoot but it would of been helpful the first time it happened. The state dick saw a chance to get a new squad car out of the gun as its worth as much if not more then a crown vic, hes the one who had to tuck his tail and leave empty handed and with his old car, i am the one still holdin on to the guns and will be shootin there again soon enough. Maybe next time just incase i will have a camera with me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you ever shot in the Bell area?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I have shot in the BELLE area, not bell
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Did your dog survive the incident?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
My dog?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My 3 daughters, a freind and i went out today to do a little shootin, about 30 mins in to it a state patrol showed up and instructed everyone to step away from the guns. Dude was a real prick, wanted to know whos guns these were, when i told him they were mine he thought he was gonna aresst someone for having MG's. I told him they were legal and have paperwork for them but he didnt know what he was lookin at (paperweork form 4) he wanted to load the beltfed and take me and it with him. The local cop told him it was legal, boy was he pissed! He didnt seem to care much about the other full autos just the beltfed. I love cops, sometimes they just need a hug.

A state stormtrooper acts like an asshole?  You don't say?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, there is a MO state trooper who posts on this board. Not an asshole by any means. And I've met a few others, and they seemed pretty ok as well.

Beltfeds, sorry to hear about the hassle. I think that just like the general public, some LEO's are simply uneducated to the laws regarding MG's.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, there is a MO state trooper who posts on this board. Not an asshole by any means. And I've met a few others, and they seemed pretty ok as well.

Beltfeds, sorry to hear about the hassle. I think that just like the general public, some LEO's are simply uneducated to the laws regarding MG's.

True, it just seems like every single one I've come across (both in an official capacity & socially) had a 2x4 up their ass.  Totally humorless RoboCop/Judge Dredd hall monitors.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I shouldnt have to be harrassed because some stupid, arrogant, ignorant, know it all thinks he knows something and then realizes no he doesnt. He  either thought that 1 all machineguns are illegal, WRONG, no donut, 2 a civilian shouldnt have this kind of hardware, i will take it and get a new cop car WRONG, 3 I will show my ass and take his gun away because he looks like one of the guys from high school that beat me up every day cause i was the biggest geek which is why i became a cop so i could put on a badge and be tough for 8 hrs a day WRONG! This jerkoff makes all the other good cops look as bad as him in my eyes. That cop can kiss my rebel %ss!
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Come on guys, quit mincing words, tell us how you really feel.

Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It dont happened that often for me to record everytime i shoot but it would of been helpful the first time it happened. The state dick saw a chance to get a new squad car out of the gun as its worth as much if not more then a crown vic, hes the one who had to tuck his tail and leave empty handed and with his old car, i am the one still holdin on to the guns and will be shootin there again soon enough. Maybe next time just incase i will have a camera with me.

I don't think it's "worth" that much to an LE agency.  They don't normally turn around and sell MGs on the civilian market, do they?  A new beltfed MG doesn't cost an LE agency much.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I know the cops in St Louis sell their confiscated weapons to one of the citys dealers as i was there when they brought in a whole box of them. Cops can get MG's cheap, but not a transferable like mine and yes its worth as much as their car.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#19]
What the popo did can be described as attempted strong arm/armed robery under color of law.  No different than if you went to a private range and tried to steal peoples guns.

File a complaint and a civil suit.  Also, once the suit is filed, request this jerks personnel file, credit report, random drug testing results, and copies of all law suits filed against him for false arrest.

The RTKABA is a Constitutional Right!  He was trying to deny you that right, make it so he and others like him "get the memo".
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I know the cops in St Louis sell their confiscated weapons to one of the citys dealers as i was there when they brought in a whole box of them. Cops can get MG's cheap, but not a transferable like mine and yes its worth as much as their car.

I'd be interested to hear how the paper trail on this works for MGs.  It's on a Form 4 for the private owner.  How does the dealer legally take possession of the MG?  I'm having trouble seeing how this would work.  I've never heard of cops selling any confiscated weapons, let alone MGs.  Usually it's destruction or "loss" (theft by cops).
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Im not aware of the procedures in it but i was at C&S METAL WERKES doing paperwork for a MG when a cop brought in a big cardboard box of pistols, as soon as it hit the counter a customer was given a price on a U.S property marked 1911 that was in the box. There were no MG's in the box but the owner told me they were confiscated, the guys were found guilty and somehow the cops kept them and resold them.

I had my beltfed taken away at one time by cops in a different county that werent familiar with civilian owned MG's. My uncle lives in that county and is good freinds with the city cops, not the county and the city cops told my uncle that the county cops found out what its worth and plan on keeping it for themselves for the $$$. Had to get a lawyer, fight it and and go a year without my gun. So yes i do beleive they would sell it on the market.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]

If you speak and act anything like how you come across on the internet, I'm sure you came off as a polite, intelligent individual in the situation...

You say this has happened multiple times with LEOs?  Hmmm.. wonder who the problem might be...

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you speak and act anything like how you come across on the internet, I'm sure you came off as a polite, intelligent individual in the situation...

Yeah, that matters.  The cops can take his MG because they think he's an asshole.

All Heil the Blue Line!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]

"State Dick"  I like it.  Wonder if I can get a decal for my car?

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Sweet, now even moderators are bashing cops!

This site really has gone looney...

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you offended cause someone is talkin bad about a cop? To bad, you guys either need to learn the laws you think your enforcing or get a different  job.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I see you edited out the part about the troopers going back to work at 7-11 because that's where they probably came from. Do you spend alot of time outside of a 7-11 beating up future HP officers?  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry, but if a substantial percentage of LEOs wouldn't act like JBTs, then we sheeple would hold them in the high regard that theythink they deserve
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
When we had a problem understanding OR not knowing what the law was on a call - one of us (two would respond), would call the Supervisor on duty and ASK for clarification before we stepped on some one or stepped on our dick. Call it what you like, being courteous or PROFESSIONAL or informed. It was requisite - or the Director aslked us to a "See Jesus" meeting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You say this has happened multiple times with LEOs?  Hmmm.. wonder who the problem might be...

Maybe his attitude is a direct result of being harassed on multiple occassions for the same bullshit.  He's got the papers, and unless he was doing something unsafe, i.e. endangering himself or the public, the officer should have gone on his merry way.  Period.

Other than that, what did Beltfed do wrong?  He complied with the officer and stepped away from the guns.  Answered the questions and informed the officer that he was the LAWFUL owner and had the necessary paperwork to back it up.  The officer would not relent until another officer told him that the gun was legal.  I'm still looking for something he (Beltfed) did wrong.

As far as being polite, I have found through experience, that it is difficult (albeit not impossible) to be polite when being put on the defensive when one has not done anything wrong.  Especially when this wasn't the first time.

MP906, I'm sure that if it were you at the scene, you would have known what you were looking at and for.  Hell, you might have even burned part of a belt with him, I don't know.  But I seriously doubt that you would have carried this situation to the extent of telling him that you were taking him and his guns in.  Obviously not all law enforcement officers have the gun savvy that you possess (not being sarcastic, I remember seeing you at the shoots). However, maybe understanding that, you can see across the blue line long enough to understand that Beltfed might be getting fed up with the harassment from people with the power to take his guns away from him that do not have adequate information or knowledge of the laws regarding the situation.

Beltfed, if you ever get tired of all the harassment, I think I could find a good home for your MGs.

BTW, sounds like it's a good thing that you have a GOOD REPOIR with the local law enforcement.  

BTW 2,
MP906 I'm not cop bashing, my best friend of 20+ years is St. Louis PD and another is with the Capital Police Dept. and I've had many very good experiences with law enforcement outside of that, most notably when my sister died in a car accident.  The professionalism, courtesy, and empathy that they displayed was absolutely second to none.  

But yes, Highway Patrol can also have a bad day and come across like a prick.  I was on the receiving end of this once before when I was the victim of a hit and run accident.  I kept my cool and the officer finally cooled off and apologized for being unChristianlike and further explained how bad his day had been and how he was being pissy because he got my call from dispatch while he was eating his dinner.  Had to respect that he admitted that and have the balls to apologize and things were just fine after that.

Sorry for the long post (I tend to ramble when I'm tired).  Beltfed is a good guy and the bottom line is I can understand how he must be getting frustrated over these types of situations.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#33]

REALITY CHECK: it is impossible to memorize every law in existence.  I have to look up about 80% of the non-traffic charges I make and read the statutes.  I'm not even sure where full-auto stuff is covered in state statute.  I'll have to go look.  If you look hard enough, you can come up with a violation for darn near anything!  Obviously, someone called and complained on you or they would not have even been there.

Anyways, if I were not a gun enthusiast, it is likely I would have been curious in that situation.  Now, we have a motto in the Patrol, "when in doubt, don't."  I'm highly skeptical as to just how flustered this Trooper got over this deal.  But, having not been present I can't say either way.  

My main beef is, why come here and post a childish rant?  Sounds like you have it out for Troopers.  If it was that bad, call and complain.  That is why we have LT's.  

On a side note:  BeltfedMGs has edited much of the childish insults and IM'ed me with a somewhat mature response.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I don't know.  Have you earned it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#35]
You know, I can appreciate being tired of getting harrassed about full auto fire and simulated full auto fire. I was way out in middle of nowhere on a mountain just shooting my MAC10 semi and my Colt SP1's - rifle and CAR versions. This was back in 1991/92. I'm out there shooting in a gulley - heck I needed 4wd just to get there. So, I'm dumping a 20 rounder bump-style as a finale.

I started to clean up my make-shift range and get ready to clear the area and a Nevada state Forrest Ranger (or whatever they are) shows up and asks about somebody shooting a machinegun around here. I told him it was just me shooting up here but they were all semi autos. I told him I bumped off a mag and it probably sounded like full auto.

Well, he looks into the truck and spots the MAC and Colts. He yells out about "Here they are!" So he grabs them out of the truck and tells me I had illegal machineguns and not to move. He calls for backup and we wait. He loaned me a real nice set of matching bracelets to wear. He even let me sit in the back of his SUV for a while. He was trying to break my Colts down to check them for full auto parts, I guess. He couldn't figure it out - he wasn't a gun guy.

Good for me his buddy was a gun guy, apologized to me and cut me loose after he saw what I had and I explained to him what was going on. He then explained the nuances of machinegun ownership, bump fire or recoil rapid fire and that not every gun owner was a bad guy waiting to off him. I let the 2nd guy shoot off a couple of mags since he hadn't seen an M/AR type since the military.

I ended up seeing that guy around there several times later on and we always stopped to shoot the breeze.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You know, I can appreciate being tired of getting harrassed about full auto fire and simulated full auto fire. I was way out in middle of nowhere on a mountain just shooting my MAC10 semi and my Colt SP1's - rifle and CAR versions. This was back in 1991/92. I'm out there shooting in a gulley - heck I needed 4wd just to get there. So, I'm dumping a 20 rounder bump-style as a finale.

I started to clean up my make-shift range and get ready to clear the area and a Nevada state Forrest Ranger (or whatever they are) shows up and asks about somebody shooting a machinegun around here. I told him it was just me shooting up here but they were all semi autos. I told him I bumped off a mag and it probably sounded like full auto.

Well, he looks into the truck and spots the MAC and Colts. He yells out about "Here they are!" So he grabs them out of the truck and tells me I had illegal machineguns and not to move. He calls for backup and we wait. He loaned me a real nice set of matching bracelets to wear. He even let me sit in the back of his SUV for a while. He was trying to break my Colts down to check them for full auto parts, I guess. He couldn't figure it out - he wasn't a gun guy.

Good for me his buddy was a gun guy, apologized to me and cut me loose after he saw what I had and I explained to him what was going on. He then explained the nuances of machinegun ownership, bump fire or recoil rapid fire and that not every gun owner was a bad guy waiting to off him. I let the 2nd guy shoot off a couple of mags since he hadn't seen an M/AR type since the military.

I ended up seeing that guy around there several times later on and we always stopped to shoot the breeze.

I'm sorry, but that's funny and sad at the same time !

"Here they are!" as if he was looking for them...

Ben
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

A sence of humor and post with intelligence by the posts after the one I quoted above. It nice to see some are just working class nutz like the rest of us (well some of us).

And to answer your question , there was somebody here on the forum not long ago that posted about making custom stickers and decals. The BIG question is ,,, Does your troop commander have a sence of humor too ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I didn't see anyone bashing cops. Probably the biggest problem with LEOs today is they are so thin skinned is they let anything get to them and they take it out on the next guy they meet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't see anyone bashing cops. Probably the biggest problem with LEOs today is they are so thin skinned is they let anything get to them and they take it out on the next guy they meet.

That's because most of this thread has been edited.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.  Have you earned it?

No, I'm the nicest guy I know!

Why just tonight I let some crazy, paranoid, anit-government type cuss me out and almost run over my foot as he sped off, all for giving him a speed WARNING...

Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
REALITY CHECK: it is impossible to memorize every law in existence.  I have to look up about 80% of the non-traffic charges I make and read the statutes.  I'm not even sure where full-auto stuff is covered in state statute.  I'll have to go look.  If you look hard enough, you can come up with a violation for darn near anything!  Obviously, someone called and complained on you or they would not have even been there.

Anyways, if I were not a gun enthusiast, it is likely I would have been curious in that situation.  Now, we have a motto in the Patrol, "when in doubt, don't."  I'm highly skeptical as to just how flustered this Trooper got over this deal.  But, having not been present I can't say either way.  

My main beef is, why come here and post a childish rant?  Sounds like you have it out for Troopers.  If it was that bad, call and complain.  That is why we have LT's.  

On a side note:  BeltfedMGs has edited much of the childish insults and IM'ed me with a somewhat mature response.  

I understand that its hard or impossible to memorize all the laws, but before you come up to someone pretending to know the law, KNOW IT! I did nothing wrong, and the only reason people call is "I hear machine gun fire". Too many people watch too much TV. They assume there is a gang war going on or some sort.
When you have to read the 80% state statues that are non traffic, do you read the law first so you cover your ass and so not to step on someone elses rights or do you just walk up assuming you know the law and act like god when the whole time everything coming out of your mouth is a lie (or just plain ignorance and arrogance). It sounds like you might of handled it differently.
I have called the state patrol HQ's before on a local state patrol who lives up the road and is the biggest jerkoff ever! He sits at the town store eating lunch with all the people from the community and tells them all i have MG's, tells them exactly what i have, where i live and where i work. I confronted him with it and he told me i lost my privacy rights when i signed the paperwork for the guns and he did nothing wrong.
I called his LT and he got in big trouble, now he tells everyone hes gonna get me. Another state patrol told me he almost lost his job over it. IGNORANCE AND ARROGANCE. Im not cop bashing, im bashing cops with the IM GOD mentality.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#42]
In the 1940's, there was a lot of German bashing going on in the US.

It seems the actions of a few bad guys reflect negatively on the larger group that protects, shields, and harbors them.

Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Two of my favorite cop thoughts rolled up in one post.
1)"If you didn't do anythin' wrong, why am I talkin' to you?"

and
2)"Why should I be expected to know the law?"
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What do you want, cops to be above discussion and criticizm? Maybe in your JBT dreamland fantasy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#45]

I don't think cops should threaten arrest if they don't know the law. How would that LEO like it if Beltfeds made a citizen arrest on the guy for being an ignorant dumbfuck, oh yeah, it ain't illegal to be a dipshit with a badge. Too bad.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Cops are humans too, just like the rest of us. They have good days and bad days. Some are very versed in the numerous laws of the land, some are not, i.e. some are rookies, some are seasoned.

Bottom line, they make mistakes too and maybe, just maybe, if the Federal Agency that governs firearms (BATF) spent a little time educating local Law Enforcement on the rules/regs/laws (since they change ever so often) then maybe situations like yours wouldn't take place so often.

I've been a cop for 11 years + now and I don't claim to know it all, but I can understand and relate to your situation. Several of my friends are with the MSHP and I wouldn't hesitate to kick in a door with any one of them as my backup. In general, they're good people and good cops and policing the "boonies"can be sometimes scary for maybe what may have been a rookie Trooper in your case.

I hope that your experience won't leave a bad taste in your mouth for L.E. in general. Remember, most of us are gun-loving, right-to-own/carry advocates just like you. Who knows, maybe one day while you're out shooting with the girls again, he may show up and wanna fire off a few rounds with your belt-fed.

Sorry you had a bad day Belt-Fed, but life goes on, keep plinking away and enjoy your freedom to do so, and have a great day
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Cops are humans too...

They should all be aware of this too, not just those of us who are "civilians" (which I am not (.mil))

cops are NOT above the law.

sure, it takes only a few bad ones to taint the reputation of the good ones, just like every other thing on this planet.

If cops hate being the "bad guy" profile, then they should make more of an effort to project a better image...
kinda like the ROP thing (which ain't happenin, btw)
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I dont hold this against all cops, several of my freinds are cops and marshalls. I do have problems with cops with "I know it all attitudes", not all of them are like that, most arent but those that do give the others a bad rap.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:41:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Cops are humans too, just like the rest of us. They have good days and bad days. Some are very versed in the numerous laws of the land, some are not, i.e. some are rookies, some are seasoned.

Bottom line, they make mistakes too and maybe, just maybe, if the Federal Agency that governs firearms (BATF) spent a little time educating local Law Enforcement on the rules/regs/laws (since they change ever so often) then maybe situations like yours wouldn't take place so often.

I've been a cop for 11 years + now and I don't claim to know it all, but I can understand and relate to your situation. Several of my friends are with the MSHP and I wouldn't hesitate to kick in a door with any one of them as my backup. In general, they're good people and good cops and policing the "boonies"can be sometimes scary for maybe what may have been a rookie Trooper in your case.

I hope that your experience won't leave a bad taste in your mouth for L.E. in general. Remember, most of us are gun-loving, right-to-own/carry advocates just like you. Who knows, maybe one day while you're out shooting with the girls again, he may show up and wanna fire off a few rounds with your belt-fed.

Sorry you had a bad day Belt-Fed, but life goes on, keep plinking away and enjoy your freedom to do so, and have a great day

Good post.

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top