Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2007 4:31:07 PM EDT
My current well is ~80', & puts out ~1 gal/min.  This is minimal productioun, & OK for our basic needs, but I would like more, if I can get it.  I'm considering sinking upwards of $10K to go possibly down as far as 300', as I think that might get us better production.  Does anyone in the NW SnoCo region have any insights to offer?  I tried to pull up well reports online @ the state DOE site for a couple of newer wells nearby, via those wells' ID tags - & specifically on one that I think goes down ~270' - to get a "picture" of the production capacity, but no reports were found.

Development is only going to continue in the region, so I'm thinking about doing this for the long-term.

ETA: The one complicating issue in drilling further down in the current well is that the it already sits on top of a granite formation.  If we go further down, we'll eliminate the chance of getting residual feed from nearby aquifers in the proximity - as long as it remains in granite.  So unless the ground makeup changes to something more permeable, we must tap directly into a source or risk a dry run.  We currently have a 500 gal tank.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it before it costs you 15K. It ain't gonna get cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Best setup I saw was a well with a 3000 gal watertank.

No harm in going deeper, as long as your wallet can support it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on the area, while water can be found close to the surface it is often bad water, my sister put down a 300 foot well that resulted in poor quality low flow, the neighboring farmer had to go to 800 feet, excellent flow and quality but pulling the pump is a big deal not to mention the cost of a well that deep.

I used a dowser to find potable water close to the surface in my area, (most water here in the valley is high iron) and most the folks I have talked with agree, dowsing saved them a lot of money.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats what my neighbors have...

Water is never cold though

Ours is 90 feet deep, good flow with cold, fresh water... grandpa found the spot using his stick technique.. sounds unbelievable but first try he got it
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
grandpa found the spot using his stick technique.. sounds unbelievable but first try he got it

He walk around til he got a hard on?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
grandpa found the spot using his stick technique.. sounds unbelievable but first try he got it

He walk around til he got a hard on?

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, think of it this way. City of Marysville charges 5k just to hook up your place to their sewer. That's not counting labor or materials from your house to the main line T.

So it might actually be cheaper to drill where you're at.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
it does work, the old timer that use to do our water systems(we did 10+), used the same method and he was always right one the money, 30+ years latter those wells are still putting out great water/flow.......and a few even put money in my pocket

are you sure its not a pump issue? or screen or something not related to the depth?

Ours is 90 feet deep, good flow with cold, fresh water... grandpa found the spot using his stick technique.. sounds unbelievable but first try he got it
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it does work, the old timer that use to do our water systems(we did 10+), used the same method and he was always right one the money, 30+ years latter those wells are still putting out great water/flow.......and a few even put money in my pocket

are you sure its not a pump issue? or screen or something not related to the depth?

Yes, it's definitely a pump issue in this particular case, though the well itself is low at this time of year, which is no surprise.  The pump is supposed to have an integral pump saver, but it doesnt appear to be working that way.  Water is produced intermittently; it doesn't flow continuously until the tank is full.  In between the flows I can see some water trickling out of pipe & can hear it working through the pipe opening, indicating to me that it's running semi-dry & thus cavitating.  I just had the well pump replaced (under warranty - it wasn't responding to direct generator hookup) the other day & we're getting water again, but it runs as described, just like the old one that had burned out.

The guy that bought the land (not the house builder) & developed the well had ours dug just ~30' away from the next door neighbor's, which was stupid.  Our available area limited for other well sites, so we're rather confined to going down in the same spot where we're already tapped.

So we have to issues to handle:

1) We need to install an actual pump saver device to prevent cavitation & pump wear to failure.

2) Our well production is minimal, @ ~1 gal/min.  I knew what we were getting into, so no surprises, but it isn't ideal.  Digging down may give us better results, but if we're wrong that $10K-$15K literally thrown down a hole.

I'd like to hear more about this "stick technique".  If there's someone out there who can give me an indication of what I have underground, I'm all ears, & maybe $$$ too.

One more final note - my experience w/ A-Plus Water Services (Bob Fletcher, Lake Stevens):

My well was drilled by Anderson Drilling, but the well house tank works & filtration system was done by A-Plus.  I will never endorse A-Plus or him for service work.  I called him when this failure 1st started to just ask some questions.  He told me to go check the well pump housing for electrical current noise & then call him back.  I did, but he didn't answer when my return call.  No big, I figure he's busy, I've had to wait for him to call me before, so I decide to go to the local Lowe's & get a volt detector to test for current flow on the electrics to get a better picture of what's going on.  I try to call him 4 times via cell while I'm making the run, but still no answer.

Now, Bob had been up to our place twice previously.  The 1st time, was to check for current going to the pump house.  Turns out my landscaper had partly cut the underground wires (they were only ~7" below surface) when installing our irrigation system.  Landscaper had a detector to indicate current flow, but not the specific voltage.  Bob comes out & checks it, turns out the pump was only getting ~1/2 the voltage it needed, due to the line being sheared.  We found the line break & spliced it.

The 2nd time was to fix a leaking seal in the filtration system that had resulted in most of my well house tank volume being sprayed out onto my heating system, hot water tank, & floor in the garage by the tiome I found out (midnoc).  Luckily, built-in bypass valves allowed us to keep water flowing & stop leakage.  This 2nd event precursed the well pump failure by a few days.

As I'm almost home, the wife calls back & says Bob (A-Plus) is at the place.  He gets on the wife's cell, tells me the voltage is fine, then he proceeeds to chew me out: asks why he's here, as he isn't getting a paycheck for this visit.  I told him I never asked him to come out & went out to get a voltage detector to do some basic diagnostic checks myself, & that I'd been trying to call him all this time; figured he was just out on a job & would do my own thing & let him know what I found when we finally reconnected.  I apologized that he'd come out, that it wasn't my intention or request that he do so.  He says OK & thanks.  When I get home, wife tells me he slammed her cell down & said he'd never come back here again.

His equipement is nice (my filtration system works nicely, albeit the anomolous leak), but his service/attitude is the worst I've ever experienced from any company.  His personality has been consistently, demonstrably tempermental.  Now, we all want to get paid for our work, but problems & warranty issues are part of the deal.  He gives the impression that he's not interested in covering warranty claims.  His coming out on this last time was of his own doing & not mine.

<-- Not ever using A-Plus again.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]

height=8
Quoted:

For what it's worth, I'd go with a large storage tank. Cheaper and more versatile, IMO. Our well pumps 15+ gallons of nice cold water, until there isn't power to run the pump. h,
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what it's worth, I'd go with a large storage tank. Cheaper and more versatile, IMO. Our well pumps 15+ gallons of nice cold water, until there isn't power to run the pump.

I've been pondering a storage tank. Yeah, I can get a generator to power the well pump, but gas may not always be available.

Can you say propane? LOL

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Dowsing community , net

They have a course on how to

Learn dowsing
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Ummm...did someone say "remote viewing"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top