Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/28/2006 12:37:18 PM EST
Over Easter the family and I are thinking about traveling from our home in Northern New York into Vermont and maby South to where ever we end up. Having been to VT a couple times we liked it, but didn't really "see" anything...about the only thing on my agenda would be a visit to Century Arms.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:06:32 PM EST
Stowe and Smugglers notch area is a deffinate. the cruise down 100 and hit the killington/okemo area. make your way down to Brattleboro (theres a great Deli right by 91) and just keep south jump on 90W and head home
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:31:23 AM EST
Coming aross northern NY you can Take the ferry across Lake Champlain. is a treat for the kids.
www.ferries.com/

The port kent ferry is closed so the grand isle would be the natural choice..

The Echo center in Burlington is great...
www.vtliving.com/attractions/echocenter/index.shtml

Then in Waterbury the Ben & Jerry Ice Cream Factory...
www.benjerry.com/scoop_shops/factory_tour/

The Shelburne Musuem is also good, but they are closed...

Have a good time...
Dan Tucker

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:17:48 AM EST
Thanks Dan, and towgunner that's kinda what we're looking for.
Years ago while waiting for the ferry, I grabbed a fishing pole with a spinner bait...caught a ~1 pound bass on the very first cast! (you never expect to do that)... Was going to throw it back, but two of the locals fishing there were going to start a fight if I threw it back instead of giveing it to them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:33:27 PM EST
I think they covered the good spots. Can I recommend a lunch in Burlington if that's the timeframe? I am awfully partial to Sweetwaters' Short Sleeve sandwhich. It's VERY good and you can eat right out on Church street. Have anice trip.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:09:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By nikon:
I think they covered the good spots. Can I recommend a lunch in Burlington if that's the timeframe? I am awfully partial to Sweetwaters' Short Sleeve sandwhich. It's VERY good and you can eat right out on Church street. Have anice trip.

We're going to spend ~3 or four days right after Easter, just tooling around, doing whatever looks good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:22:56 PM EST
Don't forget to swing by the Powderhorn gun shop at Taft Corners in Burlington.
Lots of toys.
Interesting conversation.
Enjoy your visit.

sk
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:09:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By fp1201:

Originally Posted By nikon:

We're going to spend ~3 or four days right after Easter, just tooling around, doing whatever looks good.

Ah. That's cool.
ECHO
Sweetwaters - have the "shortsleeve"
Powderhorn if you want to check out a gun shop
Ben and Jerry's
Smuggler's Notch - the actual notch not the ski area
Route 100, specifically though Waitsfield is gorgeous
Camel's Hump if you feel like hiking
Huntington Gorge - it's a must see and it's gonna be runnin fast with the rain and snow melt
Stowe gondola ride - nice view

I guess it all depends on the kinda stuff you're into. There is a lot of history in areas throughout VT but that's boring if you're not into it. Lots of "haunted places" too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:08:07 PM EST
I always liked the Revolutionary War memorial at Bennington. With accompaniing museum in town. Its a nice trip back in time. I also like the fact that the NH militia sent a bunch of boys over there to fight. Of course, by the time they got there, the fight was over. Just imagine traveling that "road" across the state to try to make a difference and when you got there they said, "Whoops, fight's over you can go home now". And then travelling back the next week through the same woods, which, today, is the Green Moutain National Forest.
Damn those guys were tough!

Also, FP1201, if'n you get anywhere near this side of the state, like Brattelboro, remember that I'm just across the river. I could show you some sights in Keene and there about. Maybe not a range trip, although we do have that, but Colony Mills is a nice place to blow some time (and money).

Rogerball out
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:52:31 PM EST
Don't forget Quechee Gorge and the Vermont Raptor Center in Woodstock Vermont.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:59:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 9:00:08 PM EST by Colt_sporter]
mmm, ice cream.... Watch out for nudist colonies...thankfully it should still be a little chilly...a couple years ago...wow scary experience...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:29:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By ilikars:
Don't forget to swing by the Powderhorn gun shop at Taft Corners in Burlington.
Lots of toys.
Interesting conversation.
Enjoy your visit.

sk

Best collection of Non-PC firearms in the state!
Top Top