Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:50:11 PM EST
I have been researching recipes for some jerky recipes. I have recently bought a jerky cannon. I have been making deer jerky for many years, but this will be the first attempt with ground deer. Any ideas?
And also I am serious. Hope the moderators see this. Lets have a Good Eats for all good restaraunts, or recipes at home section on here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:40:56 PM EST
tag

I've got a whole bunch of ground from my first deer in the freezer and just got a jerky gun myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:30:40 AM EST
As a noob who's never hunted a day in his life, why jerky? Why not say a deer steak or the like? Just curious.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:36:21 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 68shortwide:
As a noob who's never hunted a day in his life, why jerky? Why not say a deer steak or the like? Just curious.....
View Quote
I would gather the Jerky was just a starter...
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:55:19 AM EST
View Quote

There are a lot of scraps left over after processing a deer. A lot of people grind this up for sausage or jerky. I know guys that turn the whole deer into jerky because they like jerky.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:48:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 11:30:17 AM EST by jeremyt]
+1 for a good eats sticky

As far jerky I just buy the seasoning at the local grocery store meat dept. One package makes 25 pounds so I just do the math & make 2-4 pounds at a time. Depends on your dehydrator but it could be done in 3-8 hours. Mine takes about 3 hours, my old crappy one took 8-9 hours.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:54:52 AM EST
View Quote

What else would we sell at gun shows? It's easier to make jerky than beanie babies
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:49:16 AM EST
Made Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches out of some backstrap last night.

Best.

Sammich.

Evah.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:32:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2015 8:33:51 PM EST by nturavrgcop]
Some of my favorite threads.....

ETA: one of my favorites is the crockpot/banana pepper recipe.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:00:59 PM EST
View Quote

We do that too. But some parts of deer are more suitable for jerky.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:03:57 PM EST
Had me some tuna salad sammich tonight, left the cheese off and added avocado slices to it. Yes sir!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:24:39 AM EST
Fixed a whole Choice Rib Roast for Christmas, I was terrified I would screw up a $169.00 slab of beef.

It came out a Perfect Medium Rare

Anyone else watch the reruns of Good Eats?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:49:13 PM EST
I made elk burgers last week, I mixed 1 lbs ground elk, with just under a 1/4 lbs ground chuck, sprinkled with salt and coarse ground pepper. Grilled medium rare, topped with a smokey cheddar, and served on a fresh onion bun. They were amazing!
(Most directions I found urged only adding enough beef to add a little fat, don't add a bunch of eggs, bread crumbs, seasoning, etc. since the elk meat has such a great taste. Many also warned not to handle/mix too much, just enough to combine the beef.)
Top Top