Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/19/2006 2:36:05 PM EDT
I'm sad to report that Pro-Gun, In Cuyahoga Falls had a fire this past Sunday night. Lucky no one was injured. But the Range is cooked. And the upstairs has been damaged by heavy smoke. I went down today and talked with the owner and took a look for myself. Its not going to be a quick repair!!! My group has been shooting there every Wed. night for some time. And we all feel just sick to have lost or weekly hang out. Plus with all the other mess they have going on in there life. This was the last thing they needed.

So PLEASE, if you where a shooter there, Stop by the store. (Next door) And show your support in the time of head ache for them.

They are hoping to rebuild, But with all the other crap going on ??????????
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That's sad to hear.  I've been there before, and found it to be a nice range.  I was planning on taking my AR there in the next few weeks, but I guess that won't happen now.  Stonewall is not as AR friendly, as they charge more per hour, no LE discounts on rifles, and require hollowpoint or softpoint ammo only.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
ick.  They survive the ATF trying to shut them down last month,  only to have this?  This sucks.   Crap, I just realized that my buddy has office space upstairs that he rents from Tom.  I wonder if that was cooked as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ick.  They survive the ATF trying to shut them down last month,  only to have this?  This sucks.   Crap, I just realized that my buddy has office space upstairs that he rents from Tom.  I wonder if that was cooked as well.

why was the ATF trying to shut them down?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
ATF did a compliance check sweep thru this area a couple months ago and popped several dealers for things as small as minute 4473 errors like abreviating Road or Street instead of spelling it out on the form. What a bunch of Bullsh*t!!! The Deer Hunter and Lakes Gun both lost their license already. I was in Pro-gun last week and was told that they currently can't "acquire" so it isn't over for them yet. I sure hope Tom beats this thing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the ATF crap is still on going. As for the upstairs office, it's Smoked BAD. As for how it started ??? I'm not the Fire Marshall, So I have nothing to say about that. I was told that is looked like a accidental fire. But I will say this. I can see how after years of shooting you would need to do a wash down of the area to get all the burned, and unburned powder gone. And even in a block bunker there is still a ton of things that can and WILL ignite, and burn VERY HOT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Today's Akron rag, the Beacon Urinal, said it was "...muzzle fash" that started the fire.

WTF?

I can't see Tom from Pro Sport letting something like that happen. He's way careful with his guns, let alone range to allow that.

Let's support our man, Tom!
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Ohio47Woodsman:

Maybe????? It's a total possible that is how it could have started. It looked to have started on the last lane (#7) against the wall. But I am no fire agent!!!! But the fact is it's cooked. As I posted above, over time with all the left over powder.It only may have taken one spark, Poof. And its burning.

YES, we need to support the man. And offering to help in the clean up is how our group has done that. I look forward to getting dirty and getting started soon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
can any one send me their screen name so i can im them i have built a couple of indooor ranges and repaired a couple too would like to offer any advice that they might need
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish them the best and will patronize when I am in town.  I shoot there when I am in Cleveland area.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ATF did a compliance check sweep thru this area a couple months ago and popped several dealers for things as small as minute 4473 errors like abreviating Road or Street instead of spelling it out on the form. What a bunch of Bullsh*t!!! The Deer Hunter and Lakes Gun both lost their license already. I was in Pro-gun last week and was told that they currently can't "acquire" so it isn't over for them yet. I sure hope Tom beats this thing.

whoa, the deer hunter lost its license to sell guns? wtf
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes the Deer hunter lost there's (FFL) and closed the doors just before Deer Gun season.

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I went to the Deer Hunter for handgun & shotgun, and I used Pro-Gun for rifle shooting. I guess I have nowhere to shoot now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, Tom says they're going to rebuild the range. It's just a matter of time. And as for the ATF crap, Its also a wait and see game. If they beat it or come to some sort of happy medium. All should be fine. The area needs a good shop and with the other 2 closed, It could be a good thing for Tom. He and his staff are very good in what they do. It' just going to be touch and go for some time. Therefore we need to support him !!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
ar doctor emial inbound
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
The Deer Hunter moved somewhere near Canton I think that is what Oxfordpony said ....The store is smaller and no range ....Damn no local gun stores or ranges ....Where am I going to shoot now
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#17]
(DEER HUNTER)
Well if they did, they must have opened under another FFL name. They lost there's in the sweep they did back a few months. I'm going down to see Tom today to get my S/A Compact triger done. So I should have fresh news this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
(DEER HUNTER)
Well if they did, they must have opened under another FFL name. They lost there's in the sweep they did back a few months. I'm going down to see Tom today to get my S/A Compact triger done. So I should have fresh news this afternoon.

From what Oxfordpony said was that it was a diff. name but the same people
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Deer Hunter:
Yes, that is what I heard today. A lot smaller shop,and planning on staying that way.Some where down Canton way is what I heard. I wish them good luck.

PRO-GUN/River Side Range update:
Talking to Jermie today, The range will most likely NOT reopen for 3-4 months. And in that time they are hoping that the FFL thing will get settled some time in March. Keep our finger crossed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I bet the ATF burned the place down.  They did it at Waco before..........
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL, well I won't go that fare as to the ATF having anything to do with the range fire. But you can believe what you want. Just incase there reading my post's, I think there a bunch of great guys.(wink,wink)............................
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone here live in the Akron area? With the Deer Hunter and Pro-Gun closed, I'm SOL. Can someone recommend some places to shoot, preferably in or close to Summit County? Thank you!

edited to add: Is Pro-Gun accepting donations to rebuild? Anything we can do to help?
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#23]
In Stark county, there is the Firing Line in Canal Fulton (actually they just changed their name again to something like Northwest/Midwest Gun Club)
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In Stark county, there is the Firing Line in Canal Fulton (actually they just changed their name again to something like Northwest/Midwest Gun Club)

Midwest Gun Club.  My friend Mike just bought the place.   Just go West on Portage from 77 until you hit Canal Fulton.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Pro-Gun/Riverside Range:

FYI, The gun shop is still open, They are going threw the FFL/ATF thing still. And CAN ONLY sell on hand stock of guns. Ammo and other supplies are not affected by FFL problem.

The INDOOR RANGE is where the fire was. (Seprate Building) The gun shop was NOT involved in the fire.

Sorry for any confusion, Some thought the shop and range where all one building.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#26]
The Deer Hunter is now in Coventry Plaza. The sign just says Gun Shoppe. I believe they dba Sierra Arms.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:
The Deer Hunter is now in Coventry Plaza. The sign just says Gun Shoppe. I believe they dba Sierra Arms.

Yea it's just South of Rt. 224 on Manchester Rd. (Rt. 93). Glad to see Bill was somehow able to stay in business.

FYI--There is also a new one open a few miles further South at the corner of Nimisila Rd. and Manchester Rd.--called Quick's Firearms. Small shop gradually building his inventory. Will order anything and cheap on transfers too. Owner's name is Jeff...
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:
ATF did a compliance check sweep thru this area a couple months ago and popped several dealers for things as small as minute 4473 errors like abreviating Road or Street instead of spelling it out on the form.

You can lose your FFL over this type of "infraction"?  You have got to be kidding?!?!hock.gif
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#29]
My compliance check is coming up, I went over the books, everything looks OK.Wish me luck!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck.  I mean it.  If there was a smiley down on his knees praying, i'd use it.  they have been putting me off for about 3 weeks now, because i am a three day/two man check.  I think i have an ulcer.  My books are in order but its the anticipation of not being able to do anything for three days while i stand there helplessly letting them root through it all (I sold more than 3000 weapons last year).  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I do NOT hold a FFL, So I have not gone threw one of the "Checks" But a good friend of mine that's a REAL good gunsmith Lost his FFL in 05 due to nothing more than simple type O's. They are shutting the doors hard on anybody they don't want doing gun sales. My local Gander Mountain has a three person check, and even  have a master to compare it to make sure all is filled in correct.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck the BATF.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
hey, much support to the pro-gun guys, if they need some help i'm all in... i love that range!!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top