Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2017 10:48:21 PM EDT
My daughter found this little fellow in the creek next to the house. I thought it was a garter snake, but she corrected me and told me it was a brown snake, and that its cousins in Australia and Asia are extremely venomous.

You guys seen any cool snakes so far this year?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
we always called those Georgia Browns. I have yet to see a snake this year but I expect i'll be seeing them shortly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I caught one of those in my living room last week! I thought it was a checkered garter snake. Turned him loose next to the pond out near the range. Y'all may see him at the Spring Shoot this weekend if you keep your eyes peeled!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife thought it was so cute, she wanted to keep it. I had to let her know you can't keep 'em as pets.

We can't make the shoot this weekend, due to other commitments. Repticon is this weekend at the GC fairground. My daughter's planning on buying a bigger tank for her ball python. We weighed him last night. He's a whopping 5 1/2 oz. She plans to buy more micesicles as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife thought it was so cute, she wanted to keep it. I had to let her know you can't keep 'em as pets.

We can't make the shoot this weekend, due to other commitments. Repticon is this weekend at the GC fairground. My daughter's planning on buying a bigger tank for her ball python. We weighed him last night. He's a whopping 5 1/2 oz. She plans to buy more micesicles as well.
View Quote
Mmmmmmm, micesicles......

I sure hate that y'all can't make the shoot!!!

Start eyeballing the calendar for the last of September, or the first full weekend in October, for the MOA Shoot, and then likely late October for the Fall Shoot!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Start eyeballing the calendar for the last of September, or the first full weekend in October, for the MOA Shoot, and then likely late October for the Fall Shoot!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Late Sept and early Oct = good camping weather.

I'm changing jobs, so not sure what my schedule will be. I definitely want to make one of the shoots. Been 10-12 years since the last time I made one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Those brown snakes are also known as "dekay's" snake
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw a ringneck snake for the first time ever last week. That was pretty cool. Of course I didn't have my phone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I found one just like it though a bit more red in color under my plates as I was packing up for this Saturday's FAL match.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Hit one of those with the mower last year...  and found another a few weeks ago while leafblowing.

Looked harmless enough so I let it live.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I knew it'd only be a matter of time until I saw my friend again.  I've seen what I'm pretty sure is the same snake for years in my yard.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I snapped these at lunch today.  Holding my phone in one hand and holding my dog back with the other.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I knew it'd only be a matter of time until I saw my friend again.  I've seen what I'm pretty sure is the same snake for years in my yard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282198/IMG-0954-187164.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282198/IMG-0953-187166.JPG

I snapped these at lunch today.  Holding my phone in one hand and holding my dog back with the other.
View Quote
My daughter is trying to figure out if it is a black rat snake or an indigo snake.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My daughter is trying to figure out if it is a black rat snake or an indigo snake.
View Quote
Black rat snake is my non-expert opinion
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Rat snake.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking at UGA's website, pretty sure y'all are right. Looks like it has a white belly.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/elaobs.htm

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Black rat snake is my non-expert opinion
View Quote
Agreed.  Indigos don't have the white belly, and are usually heavier bodied.

Don't hurt either one, they're the good guys.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Are the good one immune to the venom of the copperhead, water moccasin and rattlers?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are the good one immune to the venom of the copperhead, water moccasin and rattlers?
View Quote
Only kingsnakes as far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Friend sent me this picture. Flowery Branch area. Corn snake?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
That would seem to be correct.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Corn snake, AKA Red Rat Snake.  Looks just like a little fella I had a couple decades ago.  A guy at work tried to chop him up, ended up scarring him pretty badly down one side. I took him home, kept the wound clean and covered in Neosporin, and when he was healthy enough to eat baby mice again, let him go out in an empty field.

Link
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Corn snake, AKA Red Rat Snake.  Looks just like a little fella I had a couple decades ago.  A guy at work tried to chop him up, ended up scarring him pretty badly down one side. I took him home, kept the wound clean and covered in Neosporin, and when he was healthy enough to eat baby mice again, let him go out in an empty field.

Link
View Quote
You're a good guy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

"Who, that little guy?  I wouldn't worry about that little guy."
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282198/IMG-1011-218976.JPG

View Quote
Oak snake?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

How 'bout this one?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
That's a GOOD copperhead.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
My daughter says that's a gray rat snake, so I'm copying off her paper and going with that as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My daughter says that's a gray rat snake, so I'm copying off her paper and going with that as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a young rat snake I think.  It may be the offspring of the black one I posted a picture of earlier.  That would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's a GOOD copperhead.
View Quote
You got that right.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#29]
It's just an adolescent black rat snake. They darken with age.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Near as I can tell my pond (read 20x25' deep mud hole) is being occupied by not less than four snakes who've been there more than a week. Near as I can tell they are yellow bellyied water snakes.  There's a legit swamp not 50 meters off my property, maybe 100m from them but they don't want to move even with the children harassing them all day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Front fell off
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282198/IMG-0954-187164.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282198/IMG-0953-187166.JPG

View Quote
Is that snake coming or going

I have had no snakes sightings in the yard this year but I am sure they are around.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
We went to the Riverbank Zoo in Columbia, SC yesterday.

Top one is a green tree python
Attachment Attached File

Some kind of rattlesnke
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Copperheads hanging out together. I've never seen one up in a "tree" before. Guessing he was trying to stay from the bigger ones.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't have my phone on me due to it's untimely meeting with the bottom of a pond but I just saw a giant coachwhip, he stretched across my 6' wide front porch side to side and was touching each side a good bit he was easily 7+'.

ETA the dog chased it under the house so don't tell 6
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#36]
My son had a reptile guy do a show at our house for his birthday party. The kids loved it, very educational. He had a gator, giant monitor lizard, lots of snakes. Just a few pics. After 2 years of pestering my wife, I think we'll be going to Repticon to get him a little one soon.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My son had a reptile guy do a show at our house for his birthday party. The kids loved it, very educational. He had a gator, giant monitor lizard, lots of snakes. Just a few pics. After 2 years of pestering my wife, I think we'll be going to Repticon to get him a little one soon.

https://s16.postimg.org/sroxw4s8l/IMG_2252.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/pb29tn50v/IMG_2233.jpg
View Quote
We've had The Reptile Wrangler out a few times. Sounds like the same guy or a similar dude.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Must be something in the water

We all got home late so I went with my daughter to do her chicken chores and feed the pig, this guy was under the board we use to cross our little seasonal stream.  Too close to the house, had to go.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://s16.postimg.org/sroxw4s8l/IMG_2252.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/pb29tn50v/IMG_2233.jpg
View Quote
When I took my daughter to Repticon to get her snake, I asked my wife if she was ok with it. Didn't get a yes or a no. Sent her a pic from the show, and asked if she'd be mad if we brought one home. Apparently she thought I was joking.

Not sure what his weight was when we started, but he's pushing 10 oz at 1 yo. She fed him after he got weighed. He's on the small size, so she's feeding every six days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Must be something in the water

We all got home late so I went with my daughter to do her chicken chores and feed the pig, this guy was under the board we use to cross our little seasonal stream.  Too close to the house, had to go.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/image1--1--250959.JPG
View Quote
Good chop.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]
From the wood pile today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Dang.  Such good camouflage.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Any ideas on this little guy?

He was non venomous, but evidently didn't make it out of the road quickly enough.  Found him on my evening walk.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He was non venomous, but evidently didn't make it out of the road quickly enough.  Found him on my evening walk.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81419/IMG_7076-280192.JPG
View Quote
Black racer?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Black racer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81419/IMG_7076-280192.JPG
Black racer?
Complete guess, but maybe a morph of a rough green snake?

I found this page that shows a blue morph of a smooth green snake, but looks like those aren't native to GA: about 2/3 of the way down this page
Here's the rough green snake: Rough Green snake
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I haven't seen one this year, not yet anyways
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I found this page that shows a blue morph of a smooth green snake, but looks like those aren't native to GA: about 2/3 of the way down this page
View Quote
I had the same thought.

I had a green snake I kept as a pet for a few years when i was a kid.  I kept it in the pocket of my M65 field jacket and it happily stayed there, poking its head out periodically to see what was going on.

We have a new bearded, he is easily the most animated reptile I have ever had.  He'd rather be held than put back in his cage, and seems to actually track whichever of us is speaking.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had the same thought.

I had a green snake I kept as a pet for a few years when i was a kid.  I kept it in the pocket of my M65 field jacket and it happily stayed there, poking its head out periodically to see what was going on.

We have a new bearded, he is easily the most animated reptile I have ever had.  He'd rather be held than put back in his cage, and seems to actually track whichever of us is speaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same thought.

If I was ever going to get a reptile as a pet for me, I'd definitely look at bearded lizards.

Don't tell my daughter, but ball pythons have got to be one of the most boring pets. They are nocturnal, so most of the time I'm awake, they'd rather be tucked away in their hides.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#49]
This ole gal was at the Back door... over 5 and 1/2 feetAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top