Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 4:50:43 AM EDT
Guys, the only way this ends is by those of us in the suburbs who are already paying a higher rate than those residents in the city is by having our rates go up again to further subsidize the city.

We have no control. Detroit water and through Detroit City Council can vote (again) to raise the rates in the suburbs, and there is nothing we will be able to do with it.

We are the ones they are coming after with the protests, not the city or the water department...and the banks (again):

See the text on the bullhorn? I didn't know the right wing was involved in making people not pay their bills

Like countries that make you shit in the streets? Those countries? Or countries where they use natural resources as a weapon of the government to silent dissent?

And these people vote
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Not too informed on this.  Have to do some research but didn't this start by them not paying their water bill? Or does Detroit not have enough money to supply the water?

ETA: Just read a few articles: This is where I'm at. Your paying for a service. Just like getting electricity to your house. What happens when you don't pay the electric bill? It gets shut off. The water companies are making it easier to get water to your house. Can't pay the bill? You go back to the old way. Bring a bucket to a creek.

ETA2: Are those guys dressed up as Robin Hood?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
screw them asshats, i have to pay for my water bill, i would imagine that most of the protesters have cable, cell phone, new car payment, drop the cable and pay for your water, yes, all of us in the suburbs are going to be paying for this, the detroit water department should be taken over by an outside contractor, I knew Billy Hayes for a number of years, he was the prime contractor to do water main repairs and installations in detroit, this was before kwamie, billy told me once the water system in detroit alone is so bad, he could put 3 crews on 24/7 and he would not live long enough to see it all completed, still have clay tile mains, and wooden shut off valves
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Pay your damn bills, the water comes back on!  Simple math, f'ing degenerates.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time the Det Water Dept raised our rates they stated it was because they needed to re-coup the losses incurred because of the large numbers of non paying "customers" !  WTF   Geeez aren't we at the tipping point where like minded citizens like us aren't going to take all of the shit coming from the commy hippies I see on the news every day?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not too informed on this.  Have to do some research but didn't this start by them not paying their water bill? Or does Detroit not have enough money to supply the water?

ETA: Just read a few articles: This is where I'm at. Your paying for a service. Just like getting electricity to your house. What happens when you don't pay the electric bill? It gets shut off. The water companies are making it easier to get water to your house. Can't pay the bill? You go back to the old way. Bring a bucket to a creek.

ETA2: Are those guys dressed up as Robin Hood?
View Quote

If they are anything like where I used to live in Eastpointe (It's one of Detroit's Northern Suburbs, and actually touches Detroit's Northern border (and buys it's water from Detroit at a markup) they are not even shutting most people off, while they technically CAN shut off anyone over 30 days behind, in practice they are only after the seriously delinquent who are YEARS behind to the order of $10,000+ in back water bills.  Everyone else just has their outstanding balance rolled on to their property tax. (For reference I used only about $300-$400 A YEAR in water, and that was at the inflated suburban price, my typical monthly bill was only about 30 something dollars.)

Of course the left ignores this fact, to them water should be free just like everything else, or at least have someone else pay it.

Ever wonder why Detroit has thousands upon Thousands of vacant buildings, and lots (the city is 65% abandoned, at it's height it had about 2,000,000 people, today it's only about 700,000, that officially puts in in the ghost town category)?  Part of it is the overwhelming crime, corruption, and decay (Detroits crime rate is about 5.44 times higher than the National Average or about 21.33 per 1,000 vs. 3.9 per 1,000 (Michigan is 4.55), and that is only counting violent crime, and only those crimes actually reported to the police, and only those released by the police (Detroit has a history of DRASTICALLY under reporting crime), the actual rate is much higher.  Even going by the official numbers your chances of becoming a victim of a VIOLENT crime in Detroit is 1 in 47, vs. just 1 in 220 in the rest of Michigan), but part of it is back water bills.  Houses in Detroit can be had for as low as a dollar (seriously) but with that often comes $10,000+ in back water bills that must be paid before the city will turn it back on, which often exceeds the value of the home/land.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop being racist and pay up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad my water comes from a well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm glad my water comes from a well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 No Detroit Water for me and my family. I smile every time I buy a few bags of softener salt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Cost me 3k for the well and 3k for my county water.  Fuck them.  No really fuck them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]
What if the suburban towns start their own water dept. and fund a pipe to the lakes?    
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What if the suburban towns start their own water dept. and fund a pipe to the lakes?    
View Quote

I thought that this was in the works years ago?  I know that for a time, Genesee and Lapeer counties were talking about this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to the future of Amerika Comrades.

If you work you will pay. If you don't work you will be supported on the backs of those who do.

Lets see a show of hands from you folks who don't believe that.

If you object to what obungler and all the other progressive pukes (both parties) are/have been doing YOU ARE A RACIST OR A HOMOPHOBE or a WARMONGER or a ROTTEN EVIL PERSON.

Get used to it because I see no changes for the better for the future of this once great country.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you work you will pay. If you don't work you will be supported on the backs of those who don't.

If you object to what obungler and all the other progressive pukes (both parties) are/have been doing YOU ARE A RACIST OR A HOMOPHOBE or a WARMONGER or a ROTTEN EVIL PERSON.

Get used to it because I see no changes for the better for the future of this once great country.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought that this was in the works years ago?  I know that for a time, Genesee and Lapeer counties were talking about this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Detroit would't give up their rights to easements, pre existing piping, etc..it would be a massive undertaking/ law suits, etc..that is one argument I heard.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
43% of the people living in Michigan get their water supplied from the Detroit system.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you work you will pay. If you don't work you will be supported on the backs of those who don't.

FIFY

Thanks for catching my error.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I think they need to do a review of what is and what is not a human right. Morons.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think they need to do a review of what is and what is not a human right. Morons.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
The cost of those t=shirts and signs could have gone a long way towards paying their bills
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Rate increases to cover the non payers would only be on deroit residents. Suburb rates are set on a formula that the board, with reps from each County, agrees to.
As for splitting from dwsd, it would take billions to do so. Water plants and water mains are not cheap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry D-town the free buffet is over. Establish a Detroit WPA program and have those who can't pay work for it. Pot holes need to be filled, fields to be mowed, lots to be cleaned up. Condesce and consolidate the city under eminent domain to reduce city service costs and redraw the city boarders allowing properties to be re-zoned. Take certain city properties and houses and raffle them off for free to gain tax dollars from those who will invest the money they would spend on the building or home to repair or rebuild it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:08:46 AM EDT
[#24]
condense
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Instead of spending money on signs, t-shirts, and other bull shit; why not put the money towards some water bills? The money that was spent on that bullshit could have just as easily been put towards paying the actual bill.

You live in Detroit and want free water? Go stick your head in the river and have a drink. Otherwise pay up like everyone else!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top