Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 2:26:36 PM EDT
I'm sure I heard 'Texians'. I've never heard that before, what up?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Nifty map.  I got married in La Villita and the San Fernando Cathedral is just outside my office window.  The Alamo is a few blocks away.  Pee Wee Herman's bicycle is still in the basement there.

San Fernando tidbits:
 * Cornerstone laid in 1738
 * Completed in 1755
 * Oldest standing structure in San Antonio
 * In 1793 the Alamo was closed as a church and its people became members of San Fernando
 * James Bowie was married there in 1831 to Ursula de Veramendi
 * The Battle of the Alamo began after Santa Ana raised the flag of "no quarter" from the tower of the church
 * Mexican cannons were placed on the roof during the Battle of the Alamo
 * Inside, a marble coffin is displayed and purported to contain the remains of defenders of the Alamo
 * The center of the dome is the official geographic center of San Antonio
 * Pope John Paul II visited the cathedral September 13, 1987
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad the movie was a snoozer.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The flag of "no quarter"?

Hmm?

I thought they played "Deguello"

Which is the song that signifies "no quarter".

DEGÜELLO. The degüello, music played by the Mexican army bands on the morning of March 6, 1836, was the signal for Antonio López de Santa Anna'sqv attack on the Alamo. The word degüello signifies the act of beheading or throat-cutting and in Spanish history became associated with the battle music, which, in different versions, meant complete destruction of the enemy without mercy.

God Bless the Texians that fought and died there delaying Santa Ana enough for Sam Houston to get the Army of the Republic of Texas built up to the strength required to defeat the Mexicans and San Jacinto.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#7]
anyone know where i can get the music?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top